Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Controlling standing shots.

I'm out again tonight and tomorrow night. They've allowed me to shoot from 10pm to 6am. I'll get there for 9ish and have a good walk round again to see if I can find any easier angles
    From memory, most of the awkward bits cause noise when I try to get past them - a rickety 4ft fence and tall vegetation. Some of the rises would bring me within 10yrds for a kneeling shot.

There's a lot of other positions where I can shoot rested so, It certainly wont be a wasted trip

All of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    .. and if it's a half decent club they'll have qualified instructors who will be pleased to assist.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A decent instructor in LSR discipline could well help in technique. Breath control is very individual, if you hold, you only have between 8-15 seconds (depending how fit you are) before the oxygen levels in your blood start to drop, which will make any 'wobble' significantly worse. But as has been said before, is standing your only option? In target rifle, freestanding sport rifle is seen as one of the most difficult choices, due to the many variables inherent in position etc. Any form of rest/sling etc that helps you to stabilise your position in the field will improve your accuracy.
    "Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson
    N.S.R.A. RCO, Club Instructor, Club Coach.

clunge is offline Buys suspicious amounts of hand sanitiser
    The accepted wisdom is that oxygen levels drop if you hold for more than about 8 seconds.

This is wrong.
    Blood oxygen will hold up far longer than this on breath holding, however, if you hold your breath, say for 8 seconds, several times over a minute or five, your blood carbon dioxide levels will climb.
    This will cause:
    Restlessness
    Increased heart rate
    Tremor
    Loss of concentration
    Urge to take deep breaths.

This might be why the last 2 or 3 shots on your card of 10 are consistently crap.

Easily prevented by making the 3 breaths before and as you pick up the rifle a bit deeper than usual (don't overdo it).

The other thing that nobody has mentioned, is follow through.

I use bicycle clips.

secretagentmole Guest
    I do have a Ching Safari Sling somewhere!

Quote Originally Posted by secretagentmole View Post
    I do have a Ching Safari Sling somewhere!
    still got me lee enfield sling. not got the original lee enfield. left it to the army cadets.
    bloody good rifle. won half a crown by getting a perfect bull at 1000 yids. lucky bggr.
    the only thing i can find wrong is the nut on the steering wheel.

I couldn't really find any easier angles last night. There's a few large buildings that I could walk round and pop out the other side - I'll have a word with the ground keeper to make sure he's happy with me being on that part of the land. I may also be able to cut back some of the grasses.

Also, while having a scan round with the NV, I accidentally rested my rifle on my phone which was in the breast pocket of my DPM smock - Later, I took a rabbit nice and clean at about 25yrds using the same hold

All of the above.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Here's a practice card of mine from Friday, fifteen shots 22 cal at 20 yards standing. Normally I only shoot 5 or 10 in a card but this one went well so I carried on.
    I have nothing useful to add to this except.... You complete bastard!
    I'm so depressed now......

Thumbs up

Why, thank you, harvey_s, that's the nicest thing you've called me, all day.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Hi,
    Up until about a year ago I avoided standing shots like the plague because of low accuracy due to body motion . I then decided to improve my technique instead of avoiding the shot in the first place . I adopted a stance that I saw used by biathlon shooters ( no idea of its technical name ) and practiced every day . Progress was slow and frustrating but eventually my groups started tightening up and I learned through trial and error about restricting my natural body motion . I guess everybody is different but one of the main things that helped me was breathing normally until I was about to take the shot then exhaling just before I pulled the trigger.
    I still have a long way to go and given the choice I will still rest , kneel or go prone but at least a rabbits head sized target at 30 yards or less isn't a lottery anymore . I think the main aspect is practice and more importantly sticking with it when things are frustrating when you first start to put time into it.
    Alternatively I also bought a eze mount monopod which is basically a shooting stick on a tactical vest . These things are very good and steady the rifle no end . the only downside for me was that I felt a bit restricted while wearing it.
    All the best with mastering the standing shot . I take my hat off to anybody who can consistently shoot well standing , its a art .

Why, thank you, harvey_s, that's the nicest thing you've called me, all day.
    That's quite alright, think of me after I've kicked the stool away.....

I would of been OK if you'd have said there was five in there, but Nooo, you just had to add that there was fifteen!

You have a PM, harv...

PM received Rich...I'm sorry, my pervious post was incorrect - it should of read 'you complete vicious bastard!'

By PM....

Just for you then, harv, here's a five shot card.....

http://i.imgur.com/t6ZqmEQ.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    PM received Rich...I'm sorry, my pervious post was incorrect - it should of read 'you complete vicious bastard!'

By PM....

Just for you then, harv, here's a five shot card.....

http://i.imgur.com/t6ZqmEQ.jpg
    Gulp, can I borrow that rope and stool when you've finished with it please Harvey

There are some techniques that are a good guide for most people, but after that as Zaks says, it becomes what is right for the individual, and shooting that particular rifle. The manner of the trigger release is all-important, you have to be able to know precisely when it will let off and any doubt about that makes things much harder.

Like Zacs, I've come to learn that I can do pretty well with a breathing technique that defies some of the ground rules. I shoot with my chest empty, not full, not breathing out. It used to be the case that trainers insisted you count to four, and if the shot hasn't gone, do another cycle. I can press that four to ten or fifteen, easily now, after years of practice, but I wouldn't teach that to a newcomer.

As a hunter, you may well find yourself adopting a sporter or shotgun stance for standing shots. Unless you have massive upper body strength, that is not a good plan. Just look at the stance of the 10m shooters especially the ladies, where you use bones and your skeleton to take the weight, the only muscle in use is the one that lets the trigger go.

I would get myself down to a decent club and ask a good instructor to spend time with you, then you have to put the time in for yourself.

Here's a practice card of mine from Friday, fifteen shots 22 cal at 20 yards standing. Normally I only shoot 5 or 10 in a card but this one went well so I carried on.
    Just out of interest Rich - is this air or rimfire and are you in the full leather bondage gear and gloved up or normally clad?

If you say air and a onesy I'll be on to Exit International in the morning....

Sub 12 fpe air. I don't possess a rimfire.

In LSR, no special clothing is allowed, you can't use 10m jackets etc. What I do wear, I try to wear the same gear every time I shoot. For example, I wear Asics running shoes, Craghoppers strides and an ex-army camo jacket over a sweatshirt. Hardly a likely combination but I look for consistency.

I do use a glove, it's an Anschutz and they cost a bit over 30 quid for one glove.

The weight limit in LSR is 4.5 kilos for the entire rig and that includes a glove if you use one.