Thread: Scope recomendations please

Scope recomendations please

Looking for a new scope in the 3-12x40 range (roughly) at around the £140 mark. Its for a break barrel springer so would like it under 13.5 inches in length. I intend to go to gun shop to try but would like a short list of possibles to start. I have been looking at the Hawke Panorama EV4-12x40 and the Nikko Stirling Panamax 4.5-14x50 and would welcome and feedback from those of you who may own either. Any other recommendations gratefully received. Thanks!
    "Walk softly, but carry a big stick"

Can't help with the two you have mentioned Steve, except to say that BAR seem to like the Nikko, but a bloke on a forum who recently bought one, got rid double quick. The Panamax range are all 50mm I think. Personally, having recently bought a Vantage with a 50mm objective I have made a decision to stay away from 50mm in future. They're big, heavy and can affect the balance of a gun adversely, and the sight picture is no better than a decent 40mm lense.

As for the Panorama it may be a safer bet. I haven't looked through one but the glass is supposed to be superior to that on the Vantage (old HD Sport), which is just as well, as the Vantage is no more than you would expect of a budget scope.

As for other options, if it has to be 4-12, the Bushnell Trophy XLT AO is available at £175. It focuses down to 10 yards and is said to be springer proof. Don't know what the new ones are like but the older models were well regarded.

For about £230 you could get the Vortex Diamondback which is also good for airguns. This scope is very well regarded indeed. If I could afford one, I'd order it today, but funds have been limited recently.

But when you add up how much you have lost on buying items only to sell them on, there is a lot to be said for paying more in the first place for something you will want to keep.

There's always the second hand route. You can often get a bargain. I know there are wide boys out there, but there are also people offering genuinely good deals. Over the years I have lost track of the mint equipment I have sold at two thirds of its original price. And I do mean mint as most of it had had very little use, and I take care of my things anyway.

If you could make do with 3-9x40 ao, then I can recommend the Nikkon Prostaff EFR for clarity. It's a very nice scope for £175, specially designed for rimfire and airguns (springer proof) and focuses down to 10yards. I have one myself.
    Last edited by Arthur John Smithsplease; 03-08-2015 at 01:03 PM.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Thanks Arthur, I hadnt considered the Nikon Prostaff but someone else mentioned it and it looks very nice. Pretty sure I can live with the 3-9 mag, so at the moment it is between that and the panorama. I have a Panorama 3-9x40 at the moment but it's non AO. Fine for hunting, in fact very clear optics, but when I shoot indoors at 30 yards in lowish light it struggles.
    "Walk softly, but carry a big stick"

The original Bushnell Legend 5-15x40 mildot does me for all legal limit air rifles. Great value too when bought second hand on here.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

The Legends are indeed very good, and I have a nine year old one that I would not part with.

There is a problem though when you mount it on a springer with barrel below the top of the receiver eg. the TX200 and LGU. It quickly runs out of adjustment, or at least it has done in my case. It probably wouldn't happen with a Weihrauch or LGV.

If you have this problem it needs an adjustable mount, and they aren't cheap.

Steve the only thing you may not like about the Prostaff is that the turret caps are plastic. It doesn't bother me, and IMO doesn't detract from the appearance of the scope, which looks like a quality item. I used to have a Glock when I lived abroad, so I don't have any hang ups with plastic. Even the trigger blade on the Glock is plastic.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

I have tried a lot of scopes. My two current favourites are the Nikon 3-7x32 for clarity. I would imagine the 3-9x40 AO would be almost comparable.
    One that fits your needs nicely would be the MTC Mamba lite 3-12x44 with side focus. Not quite as clear as the Nikon, but not bad at all, and has the mag you want
    The Nikon would be my choice for hunting, with the MTC for targets
    I think both of these come in around about the £170 mark. A little more than listed, but I think what you want will end up being in that price range

The Hawke Vantage IR 4-12x40 AO Rifle Scope will do a reasonable job at about £120, but I would call it a step down on the two above

I don't own either of the scopes you mention but I did have a look through a Nikko Panamax at my RFD when the rep was there and they 'd just come out.There's certainly nothing wrong with optical quality of them and they look well made and they do a 40mm scope but it's 3-9 x40.If £130 is your limit then it would be on my short list but if you can stretch to another £40-50 then the Nikon Pro Staff(£175) is probably a better bet.