Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Got my Colt SAA Peacemaker (first impressions & mini review)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc.RG1 View Post
    If you look at the trigger, its in the cocked/last pull stage, whoever took that photo i think and jammed the hammer and trigger..
    They would not have redesigned the internals..
    Just checked with my own and I think you're correct, there's no way that gun is in any of its natural positions. Shame in one way as if a modified version was out that would make the originals collector's items already

ATB
    Hombre
    I'm not stuck in the past, I just prefer it.

Peacemaker grips

I already have the blued version of the Peacemaker with the shiny plastic grips. I see that the "antiqued" version has matt-finished grips, which I prefer. Would it be feasible to just rub the shiny ones down with wire wool, or are there any other suggestions please?
    Life is to be enjoyed, not endured.

I know what you mean as I have seen the duller grips on a friends's antique version of the gun but I think only you can make the decision to attack that nice shiny grip

You may wish to consider waiting to see if Umarex or a third party start offering alternative grips.
    Given the gun's popularity which I think can only continue to grow my guess is that we might see replacement grips offered in wood, bone etc.

At least I hope so

ATB
    Hombre

I have the Antiqued finish and agree the matt finish grips looks more subtle (bit like a matt oiled finish).

Not sure how far down the walnut effect grain goes, so any attempt to reduce the high gloss surface might impact that. I would expect some fine wire wool would work at dulling the surface, but one might get carried away trying to get an even finish.
    Last edited by Aimstraight; 07-08-2015 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    I already have the blued version of the Peacemaker with the shiny plastic grips. I see that the "antiqued" version has matt-finished grips, which I prefer. Would it be feasible to just rub the shiny ones down with wire wool, or are there any other suggestions please?
    It might be risky trying to rub the gloss off the grips mare it could take the pattern off, if your going to try it, just try it on the bottom section of the grip first because then if something goes wrong it will not notice as much..

ATB, marc..
    Some of my favourite guns in. You collection, Umarex Beretta 92fs - Colt Custom 1911 - Walther Lever Action - TM Hi-Capa Custom Build Project - Colt SAA .45 & many more..

Quote Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
    Just checked with my own and I think you're correct, there's no way that gun is in any of its natural positions. Shame in one way as if a modified version was out that would make the originals collector's items already

ATB
    Hombre

Your right guys,I just used a piece of clear acrylic under the base of the hammer to hold it closed I think it makes the pistol photograph better. My example was chronoing the steel bbs at ave 440fps and copper plated lead bb at ave 411fps and H&N match pellets at 370fps.Temp was 24c in the garden.

Yeah it is a shame about the hammer not fully closing isn't it, but when its in half cock you would not know

Mark sounds like your SAA shots nice mate, roughly the same as me antique version, give or take a few FPS and weather condition etc.

Happy shooting all..
    Some of my favourite guns in. You collection, Umarex Beretta 92fs - Colt Custom 1911 - Walther Lever Action - TM Hi-Capa Custom Build Project - Colt SAA .45 & many more..

Peacemaker grips

Many thanks for the suggestions regarding "dulling down" the shine on the standard grips of the blued Peacemaker. As a few people said, the grained finish is probably very thin, so I decided to leave it alone. In the end, I bought a can of clear matt varnish from a local "pound" shop, cleaned the grips with a cloth and gave them a spray. The finish is just what I wanted, with the grips looking like nicely waxed and rubbed down Walnut Burr. At this stage, I don't know how hard wearing the finish will be, but it feels OK and I can always give it a touch up if necessary.
    Life is to be enjoyed, not endured.

A few folk may well follow suit to tone down those very glossy grips.

On the subject of small changes, I'm going to tone down that red safety indicator.

I would have preferred to have seen the Nickel version with some patination on the grips (bone/ivory); they seem to very plain and bright. Maybe they tried it but decided the pristine look would suit most buyers.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimstraight View Post
    A few folk may well follow suit to tone down those very glossy grips.

On the subject of small changes, I'm going to tone down that red safety indicator.

I would have preferred to have seen the Nickel version with some patination on the grips (bone/ivory); they seem to very plain and bright. Maybe they tried it but decided the pristine look would suit most buyers.
    The imitation ivory look to have a subtle hint of yellow to me when I look at them, suggesting aged ivory. Maybe it's my eyes

John

I think that given what they are, they have made a good job of the grips.

Mine look to have a subtle yellow tint to them,my eyes are also old

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6...psju1gciix.jpg

Yes, the nickel finish version definitely has an aged ivory finish but it's a uniform colour all over, I and probably others would prefer a less 'unblemished' look. Jigged bone (think this is correct terminology) or horn would look great.

Incidentally, the standard US version of the blued one has the ivory grips (as does the nickel) and looks very cool.
    So obviously the answer is to have a UK/EU version of both and swap the grips as and when the mood takes.
    I can imagine the nickel looking nice with the glossy wood finish grips too...

So for another £112 you end up with 2 guns and four versions

ATB
    Hombre

Glossy grips from the black do look good on nickel.
    Antique grips on nickel not so good.

Yes, the US version (Blued/White grips) does look good. I have not seen a photo of the glossy brown grips on the Nickel version...maybe gingernut has a photo?

Swapping out the grips between the EU/UK Blued and Nickel version does sound appealing.

A spot of black marker pen has toned down the red safety indicator (easily reversible mod).
    Last edited by Aimstraight; 09-08-2015 at 02:27 PM.

I can email a pic if you PM me your address.