Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Got my Colt SAA Peacemaker (first impressions & mini review)

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    I can email a pic if you PM me your address.
    Thanks for the photos, I will upload them later to share them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    I think that given what they are, they have made a good job of the grips.

Mine look to have a subtle yellow tint to them,my eyes are also old

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6...psju1gciix.jpg
    haha i have figured out how that person stuck the hammer forward, anyone else spotted it?

he has put a pellet under the rear of the hammer lol
    Some of my favourite guns in. You collection, Umarex Beretta 92fs - Colt Custom 1911 - Walther Lever Action - TM Hi-Capa Custom Build Project - Colt SAA .45 & many more..

Just in case people dont want to just look at pictures, i did a little video showing and talking a little bit about my two Colt SAA's, its more or a preview video then a full review..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXs5u6yqdfI

Now you cant hear the lovely clicks of the cylinder rotating in a picture, thats why the video with tingle your taste buds better..

ATB, Marc..
    Some of my favourite guns in. You collection, Umarex Beretta 92fs - Colt Custom 1911 - Walther Lever Action - TM Hi-Capa Custom Build Project - Colt SAA .45 & many more..

Marc

What is it with those terrible gloves! They are such a distraction, no idea why you are wearing them,so unless it's for medical reasons I would ditch them.

I hardly noticed them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Marc

What is it with those terrible gloves! They are such a distraction, no idea why you are wearing them,so unless it's for medical reasons I would ditch them.
    Mark just for you mate, next time ill wear some plain black gloves, but trust me, if you had a fully polished or nickel guns you would want to wear gloves when handling them a lot as well, but yeah do also have a skin condition and have to use hand creams so i dont want to be putting that on my guns either..

Plus i like those gloves lol..

Mix and Match Grips

Photos courtesy of gingernut......

White/Ivory on Blue, Brown/Walnut on Nickel:
    http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/x...psricgz8xi.jpg

Brown/Walnut on Nickel:
    http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/x...psqjcifynm.jpg

http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/x...pspfll4bsk.jpg

Cool pictures, The ivory style grips do look very nice on the blued version dont that..

I am waiting to see if my local gun shop can get me a set of the glossy wood effect grips..

Darn it, wish I hadn't watched the vid, almost bought the Colt SAA at the same time I picked up the 586
    Kind of wishing I had now

Just a shame the Colt doesn't come in a nice carry case like the 586
    And then an ice hockey game broke out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0woZ...layer_embedded
    son got MOM in world championships: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoCcYwNJxv4

Hi Nigel, yeah your right mate it is a shame the Colt SAA does not come in a nice hard case that would have been fantastic I must admit, after having my SAA's for a little while now I am still loving them, although with the nickel/stainless version I find myself wiping it with a microfiber cloth a lot, soon as I pick it up then then give it a wipe to take the fingerprints off lol.. But the antique version I can just pick up and use and not have to think about fingerprints or even getting it scratched, for that reason I am very glad I bought two lol..

ATB, marc..

I've just had a play with an antique finish SAA and liked it. The only thing that puts me off are the loud markings against a worn finish. Has anyone subdued the markings on their SAA? I wonder if thinners or cold blue would work?

John

Hi john, rubbing a Brillo pad over the lettering should do the trick, it would not totally remove the lettering but dull it down nicely, I was quite lucky with mine the lettering I not so bright as ive seen on some others but would still like it a bit duller, but ill not rub mine down for a few months before I see what the internal parts quality is like first.. It could void your warranty..

Temptation got the better of me this morning and I picked up an antique finish SAA.

First things first, will it chamber DW pellet shells ? Yes it will, awesome.

Initial thoughts, it looks lovely at first glance (after looking past the hammer, the short cylinder, the backstrap, the moulded screws and the cylinder release). I love the way they have limited seams to the underside (apart from the backstrap) and that they have not shyed away from moulding in the individual components of the frame.

The mechanism feels nice (but not authentic), I love the way the ejector chucks the brass out and the grips look half decent as well.

A quick shooting test shows that amazingly the sights are bang on for me at 6 yards, pellet shells produce a sub 1" group (well 1 ragged hole with a flyer), as do the colt bb shells. DW bb shells open things up slightly. As to be expected lead flies better that steel.

Gripes :

The safety, why not put it on the hammers first notch ?!??!?!

The loading gate. it seems a little flimsy.

It's not as good as my Pietta quickdraw but I was not expecting it to be, and at half the price it is certainly not half the replica. Very pleased with it.
    Great Deals with : Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich

Quote Originally Posted by Marc.RG1 View Post
    Hi john, rubbing a Brillo pad over the lettering should do the trick, it would not totally remove the lettering but dull it down nicely, I was quite lucky with mine the lettering I not so bright as ive seen on some others but would still like it a bit duller, but ill not rub mine down for a few months before I see what the internal parts quality is like first.. It could void your warranty..
    Thanks Marc,

I'm starting to itch for an antique finished SAA!

Kind regards,

John

This thread has made me want to get my blued version out for a play.
    I've also got a hankering that won't go away for an antiqued version and to source (or maybe make) a fitted baize wooden case.