Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Got my Colt SAA Peacemaker (first impressions & mini review)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam77K View Post
    This thread has made me want to get my blued version out for a play.
    I've also got a hankering that won't go away for an antiqued version and to source (or maybe make) a fitted baize wooden case.
    Surely it should be in a leather holster, hanging on a hook on the wall, ready for use.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam77K View Post
    This thread has made me want to get my blued version out for a play.
    I've also got a hankering that won't go away for an antiqued version and to source (or maybe make) a fitted baize wooden case.
    I have a feeling the SAA will attract all sorts of after market accessories such as cases and maybe grips in due course. Holsters can already be sourced.

John

Quote Originally Posted by jassi View Post
    Surely it should be in a leather holster, hanging on a hook on the wall, ready for use.
    That's where mine is.
    Sometimes I sits and thinks, but mostly I just sits.

Antique Finish

On the question of finish for the antique version, I don't know what others have received or would expect out of the box.

Whilst I didn't order mine in the UK the link below from the Pellpax site shows the finish I was expecting.
    Unfortunately, or not, as I haven't quite made up my mind yet, mine came with a very definite black finish with around a maximum of 20% 'worn' in places
    to something like the colouration you see in this image. It's very nicely done but it's irritating me so I'm moving closer to rubbing it back more
    so that its distressed state more closely resembles my own

http://www.pellpax.co.uk/airguns/air...7-antique/7068

The finish on this is obviously not down to lighting - it's an even tone all over and very different to mine which came direct from Germany.
    Be interesting to know if the pictured gun is in fact a standard antique and they can vary that much or whether it is in fact some kind of different
    version. There was a US Marshall version in limited numbers at release so this may have been one of those although as I recall they had a marshall's star in the grip.

I mention this merely for the benefit of those who might end up in the same boat if expecting one thing and receive another.

Best to ask if you particularly bothered

ATB
    Hombre
    I'm not stuck in the past, I just prefer it.

Quote Originally Posted by hedgemumper View Post
    That's where mine is.
    Very tempting I must say

Hombre
    I'm not stuck in the past, I just prefer it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
    Very tempting I must say

Hombre
    I lied a little, it's in its holster rig but not hanging from the wall it's hanging from my multi gym. Thought I'd better put it to good use!
    Sometimes I sits and thinks, but mostly I just sits.

Antique Finish

Quote Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
    On the question of finish for the antique version, I don't know what others have received or would expect out of the box....
    The one I received is very much like the one in the link you provided and very similar to the photos by Marc.RG1.

It is so similar that it even has the curious dark patch on the forward left section of barrel, and the loading gate is a little too dark (not distressed).

I think they have done a good job, but the variability of the antique finish could be a concern for some....it's difficult to complain that it's not roughed up enough.

Anyone else seeing a loosening of the barrel on their peacemaker ? Mines only a couple of weeks old and already the allen key in the grip has rounded off and the barrel is wobbling around.

I don't think I have been 2 heavy handed with it, in fact all of my guns are largely shelf queens.
    Great Deals with : Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich

Quote Originally Posted by blooregard View Post
    Anyone else seeing a loosening of the barrel on their peacemaker ? Mines only a couple of weeks old and already the allen key in the grip has rounded off and the barrel is wobbling around.

I don't think I have been 2 heavy handed with it, in fact all of my guns are largely shelf queens.
    Interesting By loosening of the barrel, do you mean the internal barrel liner? I'm not sure how it is fixed in place and wonder if this is a case of a screw working itself loose? Hope it's something as simple as a locking screw.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Interesting By loosening of the barrel, do you mean the internal barrel liner? I'm not sure how it is fixed in place and wonder if this is a case of a screw working itself loose? Hope it's something as simple as a locking screw.

John
    Hi John,

The whole barrel assembly is loose at the frame end and can move in any direction. It appears that it is held in place by a pin, the frame itself does not seem to split close to the top strap (only lower than the barrel and does not seem to be related).

I am assuming that removing the pin would allow the removal of the barrel assembly though I hope there is also some other method of holdimng the barrel in place.

Take it back under warranty, no point messing with it, unless you imported it.

As it's made in China, guessing the Allen key is made of monkey metal, be better off using a proper one.

Is there a sunken nut in the front of the barrel shroud?
    Last edited by NigelG; 02-09-2015 at 12:50 PM.
    And then an ice hockey game broke out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0woZ...layer_embedded
    son got MOM in world championships: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoCcYwNJxv4

Quote Originally Posted by NigelG View Post
    Take it back under warranty, no point messing with it, unless you imported it.

As it's made in China, guessing the Allen key is made of monkey metal, be better off using a proper one.

Is there a sunken nut in the front of the barrel shroud?
    My thoughts exactly. The Allen key is made of some kind of Zinc alloy.

The only methods of attachment I can find are pins and the fake cylinder release. Might take it back later in the week.

Deffo take it back, "not fit for purpose". Wonder how many others will start to suffer the same, kind of put me off getting one now. Glad I got the 586 (made in Germany)
    And then an ice hockey game broke out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0woZ...layer_embedded
    son got MOM in world championships: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoCcYwNJxv4

Quote Originally Posted by blooregard View Post
    Hi John,

The whole barrel assembly is loose at the frame end and can move in any direction. It appears that it is held in place by a pin, the frame itself does not seem to split close to the top strap (only lower than the barrel and does not seem to be related).

I am assuming that removing the pin would allow the removal of the barrel assembly though I hope there is also some other method of holdimng the barrel in place.
    I agree with the general consensus - return it under warranty. The pistols look well made to me and hopefully this is not a major issue with them but it will be interesting if any more suffer a similar fault. Mine still works fine and I still have the same smile on my face when I fondle her, as when I first opened the box The SAA is certainly among the best 'fun' modern guns I have ever owned.

If of interest to anyone, I sourced another repro .45 cartridge box at a Military fair over the weekend. It is very well made and styled like the 19th Century originals. Just the job for storing spare shells, ball and CO2. I paid £6 or £7 from 'Civil War Sutler' who have a website under the same name with co.uk at the end and no spaces. It's presently keeping the SAA company as part of a display.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    If of interest to anyone, I sourced another repro .45 cartridge box at a Military fair over the weekend. It is very well made and styled like the 19th Century originals. Just the job for storing spare shells, ball and CO2. I paid £6 or £7 from 'Civil War Sutler' who have a website under the same name with co.uk at the end and no spaces. It's presently keeping the SAA company as part of a display.
    John
    Excellent, will have a look at what they have. I use an MTM Caseguard .38 case for all of my shells (Webley, Dan Wesson BB and pellet and now the peacemaker. It's hardly authentic but it brings back fond memories when at the range! Also I enjoy having a table full of spent brass in front of me!

Anyway, curiousity got the better of me I'm afraid. The barrel keys into the frame and is held in place by 2 pins, one through the top of the barrel and one through the ejector. The pin through the ejector was lose and causing the wobble, I've knocked it back into place and now the wobble is gone. It is significantly deeper in the frame than it was before.

Probably worth keeping an eye on.