Thread: 1939 Parker Hale Catalogue

1939 Parker Hale Catalogue

I’ve just been browsing through a 1939 Parker Hale catalogue and came across a couple of interesting items.

First is the "Sprawson-Parker Traversing Foresight" made specially for the B.S.A. Club Air Rifle. This apparently ensures “ a Dead-on Aim” and is “ a necessity for a Winning Matches”. It consists of a traversing block running on a steel ball which is backed by a strong coil spring which eliminates any slackness. The sight has “strong wings” to protect it from damage and was available with interchangeable elements. The chief feature was that the traversing movement could be controlled by a coin slot screw which permitted all shooters to take a “dead-on” aim by means of a scale on the sight mount.

Mr Herbert Sprawson was apparently a well known Birmingham air rifleman and record holder and designed the fore sight which Parker Hale produced.

Second and a bit more fun, is “The automatic bird and vermin scarer”

“BANG ! this new automatic bird and vermin scarer is put into action by igniting a match and will then give loud detonations at regular intervals of about 45 minutes for 9 hours. At each detonation the arms of the apparatus flap up and down creating a terrific clatter. This noise, combined with the loud report and flash of the explosion will clear the ground of any birds or vermin”.

Also available were ropes with 12 petards attached to be lit at night, “explosions start very early in the morning and will soon scare away any unwanted birds”.

Bet the neighbours and local police wouldn’t be too keen on these devices in today's troubled times.
    Interesting to note that knuckle dusters were also widely advertised and sold before the war.

I just love the language and lack of political correctness expressed in these old publications.

Regards

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 03-08-2015 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    I’ve just been browsing through a 1939 Parker Hale catalogue and came across a couple of interesting items.

First is the "Sprawson-Parker Traversing Foresight" made specially for the B.S.A. Club Air Rifle. This apparently ensures “ a Dead-on Aim” and is “ a necessity for a Winning Matches”. It consists of a traversing block running on a steel ball which is backed by a strong coil spring which eliminates any slackness. The sight has “strong wings” to protect it from damage and was available with interchangeable elements. The chief feature was that the traversing movement could be controlled by a coin slot screw which permitted all shooters to take a “dead-on” aim by means of a scale on the sight mount.
    Mr Herbert Sprawson was apparently a well known Birmingham air rifleman and record holder and designed the fore sight which Parker Hale produced.
    Interesting, Brian. Do you have a scanner by any chance?

Mr H Sprawson is the man on the left in this picture, taken quite a while before your PH catalogue came out. He scored 108 consecutive bullseyes with the Lincoln Air Rifle. In the LJ literature it mentioned that Lincoln Air Rifles were tested by the marksman who achieved that score.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

I've been looking for an example of Herbert Sprawson's Traversing Foresight for some time. Anyone on here ever seen one in the flesh?

John

The search for elusive sights is a frustrating one, I've been searching for a Parker Hale PH16E, which is the same as the one fitted to the Webley MK3's, but with an 11mm dovetail fitting for ages now. One turned up almost on my doorstep but its a bit rusty, so looking for a better example.
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."