Thread: weighing and washing pellets ..

weighing and washing pellets ..

I'm always looking at getting the very best
    from my shooting as everyone else does,
    so have been looking at weighing, cleaning and lubing pellets
    is it really worth the effort ???

Some people say yes, others say no. Certainly sorting out bad ones can help. I have tried sorting into weight bands and also washing / lubing pellets. For my standard of shooting I found it made no difference and I had better things to do with my time. But if you are truly aiming for the highest standard then I can see that it could have a slight effect in addition to the psychological effect of knowing that you have done all you can to guarantee your own performance.
    Try it and see.
    Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by KeithS View Post
    is it really worth the effort ???
    No - though by all means give it a try, but I'll bet you a beer that they won't shoot any straighter, (certainly true - I'll make that two beers - if you're using good quality pellets in the first place)...

Weighing and inspecting `may` help your groups get tighter at 50 - 60 yards

cleaning? not worth the time and effort,
    whats to clean off?...
    ...JDB Exact are spotless out of the tin!!
    . . . Please INDICATE when overtaking cyclists !!

NO,you need to get out more!seriously though I personally don't see the need.I always check a pellet before using it just to make sure it's not damaged/misshaped or got any lead fragments stuck to it and I get one hole or cloverleaf groups from my Scorpians at 25yds

If you take about a hundred at a time, put them them into a sealable container with warm soapy water and give them a swirl around, then rinse, you'll be amazed at how much crud is in the bottom.

Used to do this to my pellets when I had FAC air, then dry them with a hairdryer, in a metal sieve, inspect, chuck any with damaged rims. Put lubricant into a plastic bag, add pellets and swirl around to coat them.

Made one hell of a difference to the group size and no flyers, but it is time consuming and I didn't weigh them
    Last edited by NigelG; 03-08-2015 at 10:41 AM.
    And then an ice hockey game broke out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0woZ...layer_embedded
    son got MOM in world championships: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoCcYwNJxv4

Quote Originally Posted by NigelG View Post
    If you take about a hundred at a time, put them them into a sealable container with warm soapy water and give them a swirl around, then rinse, you'll be amazed at how much crud is in the bottom.

Used to do this to my pellets when I had FAC air, then dry them with a hairdryer, in a metal sieve, inspect, chuck any with damaged rims. Put lubricant into a plastic bag, add pellets and swirl around to coat them.

Made one hell of a difference to the group size and no flyers, but it is time consuming and I didn't weigh them
    ^^This^^

When you open a new tin, tip the pellets in to the old tin & check the now empty new tin for swarf & crud, if it's dirty then it's worth doing the above,
    if it's not dirty no need to wash them but I think a few drops of lube keeps the bore clean.

Yeah some do some dont..

I washed and weighed and lubed pellets once, lol and it was the once only..
    life is just too short for that i think, and if you have a good rifle and use good pellets you should have no need i feel..
    ATB, Marc..
    Some of my favourite guns in. You collection, Umarex Beretta 92fs - Colt Custom 1911 - Walther Lever Action - TM Hi-Capa Custom Build Project - Colt SAA .45 & many more..

as NigelG. wash mine in washing up liquid. wash the tin swirl em round in a mix of turtlewax. 5 parts water to 1 of wax. i leave them to dry on kitchen towel.
    better than those bought lubed pellets.
    the only thing i can find wrong is the nut on the steering wheel.

shauny is offline Has a taste for the French fancys
    ive washed pellets before,and the washed ones were far more erratic than un washed ones over
    the chronograph.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    Some people say yes, others say no. Certainly sorting out bad ones can help. I have tried sorting into weight bands and also washing / lubing pellets. For my standard of shooting I found it made no difference and I had better things to do with my time. But if you are truly aiming for the highest standard then I can see that it could have a slight effect in addition to the psychological effect of knowing that you have done all you can to guarantee your own performance.
    Try it and see.
    Cheers, Phil
    Agree.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Agree.
    Me too... nowadays I have a look at the pellet before loading (if I remember), and maybe give the head a quick polish on my sleeve if it's a really important shot

I was always told: If you're going to lube, then be prepared for a regime of barrel cleaning.