Thread: .22 webley sport spring replacement help please..

.22 webley sport spring replacement help please..

Hi, I have been tasked with replacing the spring in a friends webley sport, I've stripped it apart tonight,had an awful time getting the trigger unit out with the spring compressed against it! Anyway got it out but now I have no idea how I'm gonna compress the spring to allow me to get the trigger unit back in? It's a terrible design and one I've never come across... Any help much appreciated Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by BenGun View Post
    Hi, I have been tasked with replacing the spring in a friends webley sport, I've stripped it apart tonight,had an awful time getting the trigger unit out with the spring compressed against it! Anyway got it out but now I have no idea how I'm gonna compress the spring to allow me to get the trigger unit back in? It's a terrible design and one I've never come across... Any help much appreciated Ben.
    There is an exploded view of the Sport on the Chambers website. From the look of it, the rifle is quite a standard design with two cross pins securing the trigger unit but you may well need a spring compressor plus a block against the end plug in order to wind the spring and block back in to position. You may be able to do it by assembling the components and then placing the end of the action against the floor and pushing down with your body in order to compress the spring enough to secure the end block and trigger housing ... but I say this never having stripped a Sport. Does it need a pronged adaptor to push the spring in ahead of the trigger unit? Some people use a sash cramp to compress springs. It can help to use a punch to secure the block before you fit the actual pins ... far easier to wiggle a punch than fiddling with a short pin. Good luck.
    Cheers, Phil