Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rohm twinmaster match any good as a starter gun

rohm twinmaster match any good as a starter gun

As per title have seen one on gunstar within my budget are they any good ? as a starter gun would love a better match pistol but only have a 400 ish budget
    regards
    scott

The Rohms are ok but you can get a much better target pistol with your budget especially if you go second-hand.
    As a starter you wouldn't go too far wrong with a new Baikal IZH 46m with plenty of change for pellets and targets.
    Just my humble opinion but there are lots more to be had within your budget and someone with much more knowledge than me will be along shortly to give you all the advice you'll ever need.....and I'm not being sarcastic either.
    Eric.

I've not had a Rohm myself, but they're shit. With shit triggers.

HTH
    Last edited by Rickenbacker; 03-08-2015 at 11:36 PM.

The rohm is a jack of all trades pistol, double action/single action/multi shot/single shot, unfortunately it does not however excel particularly well in any of them, the trigger whilst not completely horrendous is a long way from a Match pistol, spares are also becoming a problem now,

as already mentioned you would be better off spending ya cash on a Baikal IZH, FAS604 or even one of the older FWB pistols (just a couple of examples) there were a few listed in the sales section over the weekend and also a Tau 7 on the other site at the moment.

The Baikal whilst looking a little aggricultral is a great performer with a nice trigger and will last just about forever
    The FAS604 is an SSP but has a nice light cocking action, great trigger and build quality (one of my personal favourites)
    The FWB65/80 are recoilless spring powered, great build quality, easy cocking and a fantastic trigger
    The Tau 7 is a CO2 powered pistol that is very capable, has a decent trigger when set up correctly and spares are still readily available.
    There are other's that I'm sure will be mentioned but you'll notice all the above have one very important factor in common "good triggers" , the other great thing is that all have good reputations so you can buy one now, use it until you decide it's time to upgrade and get nearly if not all your money back when you sell it.
    Last edited by nige346; 04-08-2015 at 12:34 AM.
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

Harsh but probably fair

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    I've not had a Rohm myself, but they're shit. With shit triggers.

HTH
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

Many thanks for the replies will look into the other pistols listed

Quote Originally Posted by snippy View Post
    Many thanks for the replies will look into the other pistols listed
    Nothing wrong with the Rohms. Saw their factory targets; very accurate.
    Yes, they're not in the same league as the hi end brands, but so is the price..
    Yes you can go look at sechand co2/pcp, but they will all have expired cilinders.
    So no use for competition.
    Besides thát, they will have old seals so they can go leak on you any day (been there done that).
    Also, not all spares may be available anymore (seals, yes, but other things). Same goes for accessoiries.(other triggerblades, weights, grips..)
    I'm a big fan of the Tau 7 myself, but its co2 not pcp.
    You can look at the IZH as well. SSP. Allthough I would never want one. Awkward cocking..
    ATB,
    yana

I'm in hytyger's camp on this one although I am just a plinker. I have a Rohm Twinmaster Top and find it fun to use in single stage trigger mode at 20 yards. In my books the trigger isn't too bad as it's predictable, and the shot count is very good at over 100 shots. The balance and grip size are just right for me and I find the multishot mag useful for cutting down the session time as you don't have to go through the loading procedure for every shot. Having said that using the single shot adapter is a bit tedious, but it does allow you to have the option of a single or multishot pistol in one package. I've tried various CO2 pistols with varying success at 20 yards, the cold affects them, particularly if you want to shoot a quick string, and some of them weren't too bright on a hot day anyway, give me a PCP anyday.

JMHO,

Vic Thompson.

Your budget means you could comfortably purchase a secondhand Baikal IZH46 which is a good target pistol and keep the rest to fund a PCP in the future. Alternatively save a bit more for a PCP, as you might be lucky to get a secondhand PCP (e.g. Walther LP200/300, Steyr LP2) from approximately £550, however you need to take account of being able to fill it so will either require your own cylinder or easy access to one.
    As with all pistols try the different options before you buy as different manufacturers suit some people better.
    Regards, Phil

paul4be is offline Everything has an end, only the sausage has two
    Bear in mind that a (nice) Steyr LP1p went on here recently for 480, so you will be able to find a "better" tarhet pistol than a Rohm.

I had one a while ago as a plinker and used out to 25 yards for pistol HFT comps. Off the bench it would shoot fingernail sized groups at 25 yards on a still day. Trigger etc not a patch on a Steyr etc though.
    Good deals with: ali d (twice), mattinlondon, mikemorton, jonboy, the wizard, Moza, markH, fok, gunslinger, Fisherman1, bigwull, mikewareing, TwoTitans,hairydog, airguns, dcl dave, Stuart B, mattie, Locksley, MARK, albrown, kjud, spud, gedfinn2, wasteoid, bullcelt, bunnysniper, wasteoid, pokeandhope, honda+more

Quote Originally Posted by paul4be View Post
    Bear in mind that a (nice) Steyr LP1p went on here recently for 480, so you will be able to find a "better" tarhet pistol than a Rohm.

I had one a while ago as a plinker and used out to 25 yards for pistol HFT comps. Off the bench it would shoot fingernail sized groups at 25 yards on a still day. Trigger etc not a patch on a Steyr etc though.
    I did see that steyr lp1p when it was 600 and out of my budget , but missed when it went down in price :-(

That LP1 was a gem of a pistol, LP10s can now be had for £700-£800 which does has an effect on the earlier model prices, whilst a while ago it probably would have made the £600 it struggled this time, on the plus side I got just as good a deal on its replacement due to the same slow market, so that's two buyers very happy The same applies to earlier Morini and FWB etc all of which are superb pistols and can be had at very good prices and would be a far better buy than a Rohm (just my opinion) hold out until something better turns up, it will pay dividends in the long run and get you a pistol you'll get plenty of good service from, Baikal's are being sold new for £300 and are a far better bet for precision shooting, they may not have the looks of their Austrian and German counterparts but their performance is certainly not lacking. If a pistols a bit out of buget make an offer, the seller can only say no...if it's a reasonable and sensible offer you may just get ya pistol or at least a compromise deal with the seller.
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,

Have seen a second hand baikal on gun star for £220 where can i price a new one , if i can get a new one for not much more money that may be the way to go
    regards
    scott

Sportsman gun centre.

Snippy,

I got my Baikal MP-46M from the Sportsman Gun Centre about three (3) months ago for ca. 270 GBP.

After initial bedding in, and some work on the grips, it is a superb performer (I use JSB Match Light, 4.50, 7.33 gr)

For me it is an excellent pistol.

Have fun

Best regards

Russ