Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holts Sale of Vintage BSA Underlevers

Holts Sale of Vintage BSA Underlevers

The online only auction can now be viewed. There are 34 lots in the sale - plenty to choose from as there are standard, light, and Club Standard rifles in the sale. Some with retailers markings and others with peepsights including what looks like an adapted trigger mounted No 12 sight. The description says it's factory fitted but I'm not convinced. Perhaps 'partly factory original' would be a better description but that does not detract from what appears to be an interesting contemporary modification.

It will be interesting to see what prices these rifles will fetch - not sure it is a great idea to sell so many BSAs in one go, as that could drop prices somewhat but we'll see.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    The description says it's factory fitted but I'm not convinced. Perhaps 'partly factory original' would be a better description but that does not detract from what appears to be an interesting contemporary modification.

It will be interesting to see what prices these rifles will fetch - not sure it is a great idea to sell so many BSAs in one go, as that could drop prices somewhat but we'll see.

John
    Agreed on all counts, John.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

I wonder why they don't take a photo of both sides of the gun taken in some sort of neutral light to honestly show condition ? They must realize that serious collectors who will part with serious sums of money, are selective and condition orientated. Or perhaps they rely on people gambling on their instincts. There's always a bit of a tombola effect with internet auctions as you never really know whats going to arrive.......I suppose that's a lot of the fun of it.

Some interesting rifles there though ?

I think that sight has been made from a commercial windage adjustable replacement bar they used to sell back in the day for full bore rifles and suspect the photo's may have got mixed up on the Bsa Piled Arms marked Standard.
    Last edited by silva; 05-08-2015 at 09:45 PM.
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

Wonder if there was any bargains had ?

Quote Originally Posted by silva View Post
    Wonder if there was any bargains had ?
    Lot 17? Full length '20s 'CS' model with foresight protector sold for £120. Not too bad even with commission etc...

Or lot 9 sold for £150.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Lot 17? Full length '20s 'CS' model with foresight protector sold for £120. Not too bad even with commission etc...

Or lot 9 sold for £150.
    Thanks Danny,

Sounds like they went pretty cheap then. Do you have a link to the realised prices you could share?

Kind regards,

John

Thanks Danny,

Sounds like they went pretty cheap then. Do you have a link to the realised prices you could share?

Kind regards,

John
    There doesnt appear to be a pdf of the realised prices John unless i have missed it? you have to view the past auction and the only two which have sold lot prices in yellow are those mentioned.
    It would seemingly appear they were the only two sold......
    eric

It was the .22 Imp model d with the later Standard trigger block and stock, I was fancying but living where I do, collection would have been a pain. Plus it was hard to see what sort of nick the cylinder was in.
    Last edited by silva; 05-09-2015 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shabee View Post
    There doesnt appear to be a pdf of the realised prices John unless i have missed it? you have to view the past auction and the only two which have sold lot prices in yellow are those mentioned.
    It would seemingly appear they were the only two sold......
    eric
    Thanks Eric.

If they were the only two that sold, it appears there was little interest in an online only sale. Shame, as I was hoping one of the dealers would have snapped up some cheap rifles that could then be viewed properly at an arms fair.

John

Thanks Eric.

If they were the only two that sold, it appears there was little interest in an online only sale. Shame, as I was hoping one of the dealers would have snapped up some cheap rifles that could then be viewed properly at an arms fair.

John
    Hi John and Eric

I don't understand what has gone on, and can only assume that the results page hasn't been updated properly to show all the sold prices. For some reason this link shows high bids 'so far', most of which appear to be above the reserve:

http://auctions.holtsauctioneers.com...ale_no=I0815++
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

I wonder why they don't take a photo of both sides of the gun taken in some sort of neutral light to honestly show condition ? They must realize that serious collectors who will part with serious sums of money, are selective and condition orientated. Or perhaps they rely on people gambling on their instincts. There's always a bit of a tombola effect with internet auctions as you never really know whats going to arrive.......I suppose that's a lot of the fun of it.

Some interesting rifles there though ?

I think that sight has been made from a commercial windage adjustable replacement bar they used to sell back in the day for full bore rifles and suspect the photo's may have got mixed up on the Bsa Piled Arms marked Standard.
    Hi Silva,

The BSA Standard with piled arms logo on the butt did indeed have the logo stamped on the right side. I know as it turned up in the hands of a Bisley member tonight. I wonder if a previous owner somehow gained access to a BSA piled arms stamp and used it on their stock? I can't see why the factory would do it unless someone had a specific request and BSA still had access to the stamp.

I am also lead to believe all the rifles sold.

John

Hi John, Isn't that interesting ?, did it look like a kosher stamping ? - about ten or eleven years ago, an original Bsa piled arms stamp, sold on that auction site for about £35 as I remember. So there is at least one out there still. I don't know how many stamps were made and used over the years, probably a fair few.

Hi John, Isn't that interesting ?, did it look like a kosher stamping ? - about ten or eleven years ago, an original Bsa piled arms stamp, sold on that auction site for about £35 as I remember. So there is at least one out there still. I don't know how many stamps were made and used over the years, probably a fair few.
    Hi Silva,

Yes it looked correct to me, albeit somewhat worn (as was the rifle!). There was depth to the stamping, so certainly impressed into the wood. I don't always take my camera to the club but wish I had done so last night. Maybe I'll leave an old spare pocket camera in the boot as a matter of course in future. The rifle was bought to sell on, so I may have another opportunity to photograph it before it goes.

Kind regards,

John

Hi Silva,

Yes it looked correct to me, albeit somewhat worn (as was the rifle!). There was depth to the stamping, so certainly impressed into the wood. I don't always take my camera to the club but wish I had done so last night. Maybe I'll leave an old spare pocket camera in the boot as a matter of course in future. The rifle was bought to sell on, so I may have another opportunity to photograph it before it goes.

Kind regards,

John
    said rifle was bought to me 5 minutes ago for a service and to have a gash screw replaced,it is indeed up for sale and i have expressed an interest.
    what was the hammer price?

i was actually reading this thread with interest when he turned up with it,spooky!