Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! RCBS Chargemaster Combo RIP?

Help! RCBS Chargemaster Combo RIP?

Hello all... Does anyone know a friendly electronics type who might take a look at my totally non-responsive RCBS Chargemaster Combo? I got rid of everything I had except my little yellow trickle thingy when I bought it... Now I'm back to very, very manual weighing. What a total Failing all else, any thoughts please on the very best non-electronic option? Don't say little yellow trickle thingy.... Thanks!
    .22 Ruger 1022 / Optisan; .17 HMR Anschutz 1517 Thumbhole / Bushnell Elite Tactical; .243 Sako 85 Stainless Steel Synthetic / Leupold LR/T; .308 Sako 85 Stainless Steel Synthetic / Swarovski Z6i; 11 handguns from .22 free pistol to .44 mag S&W all long since gone to the great Home Office furnace in the sky.

Targetmaster-little grey thingy.

Contact RCBS direct, they should offer you the option to return the unit with $200 (£128.20) then they send you a brand new unit with full warranty, failing that, go back to beam scales. Although I'm still surprised no one in this country can offer a repair service
    Do nothing, achieve nothing

vasbyt.skollie is offline The impossible I can do, Miracles take time..
    You won't go wrong with a good set of scales and a targetmaster. Great piece of kit and UK built.

Vasbyt
    Gas operative extraordinaire

Best to check the obvious first. Can you borrow a power supply and test it to eliminate this as the potential problem?

Jonathan.

Does it power up but not dispense?

Elwood is offline Just because I'm paranoid, doesn't mean to say they aren't trying to get me.
    Contact RCBS, their customer service first class.
    God has a hard on for green rifles

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood View Post
    Contact RCBS, their customer service first class.
    +1 on that. I received some spares for my broken Pro Melt just this week - FOC of course. RCBS service is second to none!

Thanks for the replies everyone, I suppose I have to admit to being rubbish at referring back to suppliers or manufacturers, I have this 'I'll sort it myself' mentality. Started when I was about seven, and I was left alone with a new washing machine my parents had bought. I took it apart... Anyway, I have been in touch with RCBS. The tech guys sent a few shouty e-mails (all block capitals) saying what others have said i.e. check the adaptor. I'm sure its working fine, but I will source a new adaptor just to be sure. The whole thing is dead btw, screen dead, nothing doing anywhere. I suppose RCBS might suggest sending it back to the US, but now I'm wondering whether the $200-odd plus (probably) duty on return if they send a new one back, is worth it. Once bitten and all that. My 35 year old Hornady balance beam scales even if they are probably due to retire should serve with a targetmaster, and if I decide to invest in some nice new scales I'm still not looking at hugely more money than going down the Chargemaster repair route.
    .22 Ruger 1022 / Optisan; .17 HMR Anschutz 1517 Thumbhole / Bushnell Elite Tactical; .243 Sako 85 Stainless Steel Synthetic / Leupold LR/T; .308 Sako 85 Stainless Steel Synthetic / Swarovski Z6i; 11 handguns from .22 free pistol to .44 mag S&W all long since gone to the great Home Office furnace in the sky.

Always worth while having a back up option. When I got a chargemaster I decided to keep the targetmaster and RCBS 10.10 scales. They are both currently out on loan but I won't get rid. Used with a powder thrower I can probably reload about as quickly with that set up.
    "Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other."

You might not pay duty on the return as it could be deemed a warranty replacement (note my use of might) might be an obvious thing, but is there a fuse somewhere that might have gone?
    Do nothing, achieve nothing

Quote Originally Posted by pbranthwaite View Post
    Contact RCBS direct, they should offer you the option to return the unit with $200 (£128.20) then they send you a brand new unit with full warranty, failing that, go back to beam scales. Although I'm still surprised no one in this country can offer a repair service
    Problem is there's not enough of them go wrong in the UK for someone to work out what the common faults are, how difficult they are to repair etc. etc, unlike something like the ATE Teves ABS/ESP problems.

I'd quite happily give the OP's unit a good look over (MEng Electronic Engineering) FOC for time (i.e. pay for parts and postage) if he gets nowhere with RCBS but with no guarantee of repair, cost of courier both ways and risk of f****** something up a lot of people won't take that risk.

I'd suspect from the OP's description one of the internal power supplies has popped.
    Last edited by zanes; 10-08-2015 at 12:41 PM.

Randy Bohannon is offline “Junes1 is a whining bellend”
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenrir.2 View Post
    Always worth while having a back up option. When I got a chargemaster I decided to keep the targetmaster and RCBS 10.10 scales. They are both currently out on loan but I won't get rid. Used with a powder thrower I can probably reload about as quickly with that set up.
    that is interesting, what was the motivation for going from the targetmaster to the chargemaster?

I ask as from forums ( dangerous I know... ) I get the impression most go the other way.
    "An infinite number of monkeys banging away at type writers for an infinite period of time will eventually reproduce Hamlet" Thanks to discussion forums we now know this to be untrue.

I have found the the Chargemaster less than confidence inducing.
    It needs to be switched on to warm up for 20-30 minutes or results are erratic.
    Also you need to be a 747 pilot to understand and remember the calibration and setup routine.

The Targetmaster is a doddle to use. I have my scale on a grannite tile with leveling feet and an engineers level permanently in place. Its a much nicer experience.
    With powder throwers for each calibre I put light loads in the pan and press the button.
    Because I paid a heap of cash for the chargemaster,I use it to double check the weights before charging the cases-just because I like to kid myself that it was a worthwhile purchase.

Bryan.

Quote Originally Posted by BRYAN3 View Post
    I have found the the Chargemaster less than confidence inducing.
    It needs to be switched on to warm up for 20-30 minutes or results are erratic.
    Also you need to be a 747 pilot to understand and remember the calibration and setup routine.

The Targetmaster is a doddle to use. I have my scale on a grannite tile with leveling feet and an engineers level permanently in place. Its a much nicer experience.
    With powder throwers for each calibre I put light loads in the pan and press the button.
    Because I paid a heap of cash for the chargemaster,I use it to double check the weights before charging the cases-just because I like to kid myself that it was a worthwhile purchase.

Bryan.
    My RCBS Chargemaster does not have a warm up time ? Press Zero Button, enter powder weight , dispense. Are you thinking of the old Lyman set up.
    Howa Varmint 204 Ruger,243win,308win,Rem PSS 308win, Steyr 22/250