Thread: Did the Accuracy & Power tests on both my SAA's (hmmm)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hi Mike thank you for the comment mate..

Fingers crossed with the new shells you will be able to eliminate that flier, i have just ordered another set of shells to..
    i think i will still keep the other set that i get a flyer with because even with the flyer it would still hit a tin can no problem at 20+ft, but when we want that 1'' or 1.5'' grouping, we cant accept that flyer a.. lol
    Some of my favourite guns in. You collection, Umarex Beretta 92fs - Colt Custom 1911 - Walther Lever Action - TM Hi-Capa Custom Build Project - Colt SAA .45 & many more..

I used to own a Uberti TAC fiting Cattleman, which with its case hardened frame was probably better made than the original Colts! As nice as it was, you could never rely on the TACs, which took a lot of messing with and often misfired. The Umarex Colt is more accurate and more consistent than the Uberti was, despite the latter's edge on power. Give me accuracy and consistency over power any day.

John

We were shooting ours at our forest range Friday. I noticed that the cartridges are a lose fit in the chambers and slightly tip down with gravity at the exit end opposite the flash gap. Has anybody tried centralising the cartridges somehow with PTFE tape or suchlike ? You can do this with the Colt as the cartridges can be kept in place when loading bbs. Accuracy could then be improved.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    We were shooting ours at our forest range Friday. I noticed that the cartridges are a lose fit in the chambers and slightly tip down with gravity at the exit end opposite the flash gap. Has anybody tried centralising the cartridges somehow with PTFE tape or suchlike ? You can do this with the Colt as the cartridges can be kept in place when loading bbs. Accuracy could then be improved.

Baz
    I took the silence as a "no" and have just done it myself. One layer of Stadium PTFE tape at the front of the cartridge and one layer at the back tightens the fit in the chamber. Off to church now so will have to test grouping when I get home.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    I took the silence as a "no" and have just done it myself. One layer of Stadium PTFE tape at the front of the cartridge and one layer at the back tightens the fit in the chamber. Off to church now so will have to test grouping when I get home.

Baz
    Hi guys

yeah there is slight movement on the cartridges that sit loose in the cylinder, but only on the 5 that are not pushed against the barrel and co2 valve, the cartridge that presses against the spring loaded barrel and co2 valve has no wobble what so ever, so putting PTFE tape around the tip and base of the cartridges will not do nothing i think..

ATB, Marc
    Some of my favourite guns in. You collection, Umarex Beretta 92fs - Colt Custom 1911 - Walther Lever Action - TM Hi-Capa Custom Build Project - Colt SAA .45 & many more..

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Apparently lead pellets will fit the cartridges, what is the accuracy like with these? Maybe it'll help with the fliers...

Hi Harvey, if you look at the pictures in my first post your see what the accuracy is like mate.
    Yeah you can use pellets with these some people I know a few people that have stopped using pellets in the cartridges though as the skirt can damage the seals on the cartridges, and accuracy wise is about the same..
    ATB, marc..

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Apparently lead pellets will fit the cartridges, what is the accuracy like with these? Maybe it'll help with the fliers...
    Have a look at this - the guy is a real case but actually knows what he's talking about in the main. See also his video on powering up/or down the Dan Wesson 2.5 Nickel.

He's actually not correct regarding the pellets not working in the SAA as I and others it would appear have tried it and they work just fine pushed in flush with cartridge skirt. It may be however that continued use could damage the cartridge rim but as far as accuracy is concerned I have found the grouping with pellets to be noticeably better than steel BBs. Not tried the copper coated lead BBs yet, though I think they will reduce rebound from steel pellet traps considerably.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvCFMK_b5YQ

ATB
    Hombre
    I'm not stuck in the past, I just prefer it.