Thread: Webley tempest

Webley tempest

Just finding out they rereleased these in 2010, any idea where I can get one? Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by scoza View Post
    Just finding out they rereleased these in 2010, any idea where I can get one? Cheers
    If you're talking about the Turkish made Tempest they should be readily available. I have two in .177. Paid £159 each. Be warned. They're very hard to cock having a stronger spring and are more powerful. My springs both broke after around 5,000 shots and I replaced them with Chambers Tempest mainsprings. They're much easier to cock but less powerful. I love em! I find them easy to work on after some excellent advice from Rob M. Mine are accurate if I'm on form at 21ft. Chambers have a good price list for all parts if needed. ATB. Pete.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Quote Originally Posted by scoza View Post
    dont. find yrself a sec hand uk one instead of a new turk. there are many about
    ATB,
    yana

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by hwtyger View Post
    dont. find yrself a sec hand uk one instead of a new turk. there are many about
    Is the quality that bad? they look well made and the proper assembly pins look better than Webley's roll pins

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Is the quality that bad? they look well made and the proper assembly pins look better than Webley's roll pins
    No it really isn't. Just sold mine but I've handled and shot both and the Turkish ones are very well made, solid and shoot hard. They are fairly difficult to cock but it is little to do with strength and really just technique (use your knee as a brace and break the barrel open with each hand).

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Harvey. I can't compare as I haven't had the English version, but The two Turkish ones I have are just great! I've had them both stripped down and replaced the springs (both broke after 5000 shots) with one's from chambers which are less powerful and a joy to cock! I mentioned this to Rob M. He reckons they might be made to the brummie speck. I can't fault the quality, but I wish the price was a bit lower! I was lucky and got a tenner off each at £159 but have seen them quite a bit dearer. I've had pellet on pellet at 6yd so can fully recommend them, especially when resprung. ATB. Pete.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Interesting.

I have an original Tempest - easy to cock, just unlatch and turn your wrist.

I bought one of the Turkish ones. To be fair it is well made and solid but almost impossible to cock.
    I am not totally feeble but got royally pissed off with having to rest it on my knee, taking a deep breath and
    really working at it. After ten shots or so I could not be bothered - and that is a shame as it shoots quite well.

I stripped it down and compared it to the original - many, many compromises - not least the lack of the ability to
    screw the end cap on. Why is that a problem? - because you spend far to much time trying to line everything up whilst pushing against the too long spring just to insert the pin which stops the internals from disembowelling.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
    Interesting.

I have an original Tempest - easy to cock, just unlatch and turn your wrist.

I bought one of the Turkish ones. To be fair it is well made and solid but almost impossible to cock.
    I am not totally feeble but got royally pissed off with having to rest it on my knee, taking a deep breath and
    really working at it. After ten shots or so I could not be bothered - and that is a shame as it shoots quite well.

I stripped it down and compared it to the original - many, many compromises - not least the lack of the ability to
    screw the end cap on. Why is that a problem? - because you spend far to much time trying to line everything up whilst pushing against the too long spring just to insert the pin which stops the internals from disembowelling.
    I didn't find fitting my new springs too much of a problem with them being weaker (thank god!) I simply compressed everything as you say and slotted a thin rod or screwdriver through the end pin hole which is easier to do when lining up with the inner holes. Once all is lined up tap in the proper end pin knocking out the thinner rod. I've found everything else easy to replace and fit if necessary which is another thing I like. Its a good gun to fix yourself, not that there's much to go wrong them. Such a simple but effective design. That original spring IS AWFUL. Way too strong. Ive heard so many comments about the difficulty in cocking. Until you replace it with the weaker spring can I suggest sliding the cocking hand upside down under the barrel so the thumb is pointing at the muzzle end. You get more leverage that way I think. ATB. Pete.

I'm with Yana here, you can get a vg Brum Tempest for about a third/half of the cost, & it's not going to depreciate. Saw one advertised in the smalls at the back of one of the airguns mags a while back, think it was £60 including post, original box. manual & paperwork. Very pleased I rang up!
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

I like my new Tempest (Turkish)

Hello, I'm new here and pretty much just joined because of my new appreciation for the Webley Tempest. Unfortunately I cannot get my hands on the older classic models but I'm still really pleased with this. The construction is solid and it's power and accuracy are fantastic!

Also, on a funny note, this past weekend I had a buddy over who hasn't fired a pellet/BB gun in years, but he was always a crack shot when we were kids.
    He picked off the head of a dandelion weed from about 10 metres away. Needless to say I was impressed, and he was blown away by the control and accuracy he felt, using the Tempest, especially after not having fired an air gun in years.