Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reduced pistol loads.

Reduced pistol loads.

I was asked tonight if I knew anything about reloading by a guy who'd been shooting with shotguns for almost 50 years, but had only recently started rifle shooting, his question to me was, "can any powder be used to charge pistol calibres (like 38/357) with reduced loads"? well, I do reload, but not pistol calibres or reduced loads, I asked him what powder he used for which calibres, I was stunned when he told me, "it doesn't matter which powder I use, I'm only firing reduced loads", I then asked if he'd looked on the website of the powder manufacturers he was using to check the data relating to the calibres, again, he told me he hadn't, the alarm bells were ringing with me and I told him, I'd have to look on the websites of the powder makers to double check the data. I was even more worried when he told me he'd made up some 357/303/223 loads with Hodgdon H110 and none would fire properly in any of his rifles.
    I asked him not to fire any more rounds off until I'd done some research, what took my breath away was when he told me that he didn't know what powder was in which rounds as he used other powders too, he keeps no records of what he loads and has no load data in any of the ammo boxes he has his reloads in.
    Something tells me I should walk away, but the caring and concerned person in me, tells me I Should try and get this guy back on the straight and narrow.

Ignorance is its own punishment, just don't be standing next to this guy.

Think it would be good idea to get this
    and read it.

http://www.henrykrank.com/index.php?...oducts_id=1753

Quote Originally Posted by Marten View Post
    Ignorance is its own punishment, just don't be standing next to this guy.
    I bet he calls bullets "heads"

For low speed 38spl. Look to ba10.
    Good deal, Paramainiac 20-05-07
    Good deal, Snipperuk 11-09-10
    Good deal, Skygrowler 13-10-10

The guy is obviously stupid BUT he could hurt others than himself.
    Educating him seems likely to be a non starter!
    You could walk away but he needs stopping.

Sod me sideways. How are people this stupid still alive?

Reduced loads for numpties

Quite worrying.....wonder if the guy is an NSRA member..most fast pistol and shotgun powders can be safely downloaded with cast lead.....slow powders, particularly ball powders should be avoided. Everyone who uses reduced loads should read the "Lever action performance study website". The guys on that website spent ten years studying the various types of powders and loads for reduced loads in cowboy action shooting. The technicalities of combustion with various powders, are explained in detail. Many shooting clubs offer reloading courses and perhaps they should be compulsory.

amc577

Sounds about right with the company you keep what are walking away from BTW?
    Do nothing, achieve nothing

I've been to have words with "the reloader", and gently coerced him into the correct way of carrying out reloading and obtaining data for the calibres he reloads, it turns out that an "expert" at his shooting club had been giving him advice, (opposite to what I'd told him), I've shown him the reloading data on the side of his powder tubs and on the websites of said powder manufacturers and I think I've managed to put him on the straight and narrow.

If anyone hears a bang, it might mean I've failed!

Quote Originally Posted by Kernel Gadaffi View Post
    I've been to have words with "the reloader", and gently coerced him into the correct way of carrying out reloading and obtaining data for the calibres he reloads, it turns out that an "expert" at his shooting club had been giving him advice, (opposite to what I'd told him), I've shown him the reloading data on the side of his powder tubs and on the websites of said powder manufacturers and I think I've managed to put him on the straight and narrow.

If anyone hears a bang, it might mean I've failed!
    I guess someone needs to have a word in the ear of the 'expert'!
    Does your club have any procedures regarding the use of reloaded ammunition - if it doesn't the club insurance might well be invalidated!

I'm surprised he had made it so far without a KB, H110 is not the most forgiving powder in the world when loaded with too much space in non magnum rounds.

All I use for target pistol loads is Hodgdon Titegroup, economical and accurate.

Reduced pistol loads

He should carry a Gov't health warning.
    Elwellaxe.

I'm not a member of the club, so cannot comment of who the "expert" is, I've been talking to a mate with 40+ years of reloading, he's a member of the club and knows the "expert" and will be having words with him, he's loaded several rifle and pistol calibres over the years and only uses Herco or Unique for his pistol cals, he double and triple checks his load data before every reloading session, places the data card in front of him and puts the unrequired cards back in the box, that way only the data for the calibre he's loading at the moment is the one he looks at.
    Safety is paramount.

Downloads

http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm

Just get the guy to read this, including the links to the scientific explanations of combustion with flake and ball powders. Lots of totally safe reduced loads on this website...for use with cast bullets. Do not use with FMJ.

amc577