Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reduced pistol loads.

Scary! I often have newcomers to the dark arts of reloading ask me for advice and then go away and "research" it on utube and do something entirely different based on the words of someone they don't know anything about. Then they come back complaining that it doesn't work.

I have a few favourite loads and then if I try something new it's with a lot of care and attention. I'm sure we all know of the flashover effect of very low loads of fast burning powder (Bullesye for one) in an almost empty case.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

I've just had a call from the reloader and he informed me that he contacted Hogdgon to query the load data he had for the H110 powder he was using, he was stunned by the reply, he was told that H110 should not be used for reduced loads and they do not hold any responsibility for anyone not adhering to their data, this is why reduced load data is not produced by Hogdgon for this powder.

I rest my case.

Thumbs up

Would use this myself more up to date data

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

Surely he should just get some trail boss? I loaded a load of .22H reduced test loads last night, very odd powder!
    Thanks for looking

IF he was remotely sensible I'd strongly suggest bullseye, but he'll very easily overcharge with it.

Bullseye 3.1gn with a 158gn rnfp works a treat.

Mick.
    Marlin 1894, Anschutz 54 weaver T36
    Cz 452 tasco world class plus
    357 Taurus.

Another vote for trail boss. The velocity curve seems to level off as it approaches 100% load density which seems to imply the pressure curve levels off to.

H110/296 is infamous as something that should not be down loaded.

I just wonder how many other numb-nuts there are out there that we shoot alongside without giving a thought to THEIR reloading procedures and standards?

Frightening stuff, eh?

tac

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    I just wonder how many other numb-nuts there are out there that we shoot alongside without giving a thought to THEIR reloading procedures and standards?

Frightening stuff, eh?

tac
    The BBS Club had an email reference good reloading procedures recently, to be fair though everyone at the club seems pretty sensible!
    Thanks for looking

Titegroup is great for downloading everything from a .357 to .223. Not for the ill disciplined loader though

I use 4.1 unique with a 158gr truncated cone in a 357case, if memory serves it was kicking out about 300 foot pounds, more than enough to kill paper targets at 25 and 50m
    There is one shooter in my club who reloaded for a 357 lbp sorry but cannot remember what powder he was using but he was boasting that he could not get anymore powder into the case!, the club has a few black powder shooters who use heavy loads and a few who shoot .223 and .303 but the shock wave from that pistol was in a different leage! Needless to say the gun was sent back to highland outdoors due to it not having enough windige or elivation to get a zero at 25 m, (every one who witnessed this gun going off was standing back and were convinced the cylinder has been seriously stressed, one even thinks the frame has been slightly twisted bythe forces involved!)
    He has been reloading for less than a year and did extensive recerch on the net, all he wanted was to get as close to the range limit as posable
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post

Frightening stuff, eh?

tac
    There was one shooter at my old club who was very wary of my loads as he said he had visions of me sitting crosslegged on the floor waighing and filling cases with my dog running around me, in actual fact he was not that far from the truth but when we tested my loads he was a little peed off as my loads were more consistent than his!
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php