Thread: hw45 strip down . . .major headache!!!

hw45 strip down . . .major headache!!!

Hi all I recently purchased a second hand hw45 in .177 (my second as I already own one) an decided to strip it and lube it as I know that this can help in a huge way to smotthing this gun out.
    Well I found a strip down guide on the weihrauch owners site with pics and it was an easy gun to strip . . . . Well once the gone was apart I noticed the spring was not straight it had a slight bend to it, then I took out the piston as I was going to Polish it and noticed a chip in the very end just below the piston seal and abit lower was a semi circle gash in the metal , I don't know how this was caused but after I polished it abit they were still quiet bad .
    Also the piston seal was pretty ruined with pitted holes on the flat face surface and torn up edges . I relubed and polished best I could and then went to compress the spring bk into the gun . . . This turned out to be real hard as the spring pokes out about 3 inch with no spring guide to help it go in straight and then there's the job of lining up the end cap with the hole 's to put the pin back in.
    So after modding my home made spring bench and alot of swearing and failed attempts I finally got it all together only to snap an Allen key drill head end in one of the screws . . . . Real nightmare as I now have to find away to get it out and now I'll have to replace the screw too.
    So am I better off replacing the whole piston piece or try and smooth out the gashes some more? Also my homemade spring bench is cap so was hoping you guys come give me tips on making a new one and also do I replace the spring or does a slight bend make no difference?
    Thx in advance Jay.

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Ker-blimey! That's a mess and no mistake guv'nor!

If the piston and seal are shagged then replace them. There should be a spring guide, that's why your spring is , replace those too! I work on these quite often and use a solo hand clamp as a spring compressor and it works fine. I suggest if you address the other issues rebuilding will be easier.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Well mate it had one spring guide in . But your drop in kit has 2 so is my hw45 missing a guide or does it come with just one in as shows on chambers site?
    I'll be getting a new piston and seal in a week but also want a drop in kit in it too . . . What parts do I send you for bespoke Polish you do? Thx for help mate glad it was you who replied as I had a feeling you have worked on these guns in the past