Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hatsan Galatian in .25 FAC.

Hatsan Galatian in .25 FAC.

I picked the Galatian up on Thursday after an RFD transfer from Bennetts. As I lifted the gun from it's supplied hard case in Bamford's I became quite emotional due to the fact that it looked just right. The rubber of the synthetic stock feels much like a Hogue but denser, grippy and easy to handle. The blueing is good and the anodised receiver looks super in black. It is a heavy gun so some people will struggle to live with it. The only minus point is the barrel has a step down shoulder when you remove the foresight which lets the look of it down It leaves a gap between the A&M custom mod and the barrel step down. Not earth shattering but could be better. I then went home, cleaned out the barrel, mounted the scope and went to the farm for a zeroing session. Within 10 shots it was on zero and on a five shot group at 50 yards being covered by a 20p piece. Back home I charged it to 200 bar and started a string over the chrono to find the sweet spot. After just three shots it hit 850fps and ranged from 842 to 850 for 30 shots which is more than enough for me. That equates to 40ftlb of muzzle energy with JSB 25.9 grn Jumbo but I am going to try H&N FTT to see how they perform. I have ony fired 50 shots and it appears to have settled in with the only input from me being a light touch of vaseline over the blueing and a minimum touch to lighten the second stage of the trigger I had heard complaints that the rifle suffers from hammer bounce and the resulting ping but this example is very quiet with the only real sound being a muffled click then the impact of the pellet on the target.
    In conclusion I would say it is unlikely to win any beauty contests but the fit and feel would equal a lot of guns at twice the price. The fully adjustable stock is very good indeed and seems to balance out the heavy fore end. This gun will appeal to the HW100 owners because the handling is very similar. The rest of the airgun industry should be looking at the Galatian with interest and a touch of worry. This is a quality product which comes supplied with a hard case, sling and two mags which puts it top of the class in my book. Now fitted with a Lancet Mk8 regulator and I will update the thread over the next few weeks as I set it up.
    Last edited by Rob Edge; 09-06-2017 at 07:52 AM.
    You can spend thousands and still miss a barn door or spend just enough and enjoy yourself. If you haven't got the talent to start with a million pound won't fix it. Whippet, Russell, a few bang sticks and a flat cap. http://www.smart-tech1st.co.uk

So you are selling a Daystate to buy a Hatsan, did you try one before you bought it?

Quote Originally Posted by Spanner. View Post
    So you are selling a Daystate to buy a Hatsan, did you try one before you bought it?
    I have a health condition which is making it hard for me to shoot the Daystate. The Hatsan was bought on recommendation and the .25 pellets are easier to handle.
    You can spend thousands and still miss a barn door or spend just enough and enjoy yourself. If you haven't got the talent to start with a million pound won't fix it. Whippet, Russell, a few bang sticks and a flat cap. http://www.smart-tech1st.co.uk

Holywell, North Wales (twinned with Trumpville)
    I have a 12ft lb Galatian, very, very impressed with what it can do.
    Is there such a thing as owning too many guns?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Edge View Post
    I have a health condition which is making it hard for me to shoot the Daystate. The Hatsan was bought on recommendation and the .25 pellets are easier to handle.
    Oh I see, was interested that is all. Hope it works for you, they certainly seem VFM and something different.

I picked the Galatian up on Thursday after an RFD transfer from Bennetts. As I lifted the gun from it's supplied hard case in Bamford's I became quite emotional due to the fact that it looked just right. The rubber of the synthetic stock feels much like a Hogue but denser, grippy and easy to handle. The blueing is good and the anodised receiver looks super in black. It is a heavy gun so some people will struggle to live with it. The only minus point is the barrel has a step down shoulder when you remove the foresight which lets the look of it down It leaves a gap between the A&M custom mod and the barrel step down. Not earth shattering but could be better. I then went home, cleaned out the barrel, mounted the scope and went to the farm for a zeroing session. Within 10 shots it was on zero and on a five shot group at 50 yards being covered by a 20p piece. Back home I charged it to 200 bar and started a string over the chrono to find the sweet spot. After just three shots it hit 850fps and ranged from 842 to 850 for 30 shots which is more than enough for me. That equates to 40ftlb of muzzle energy with JSB 25.9 grn Jumbo but I am going to try H&N FTT to see how they perform. I have ony fired 50 shots and it appears to have settled in with the only input from me being a light touch of vaseline over the blueing and a minimum touch to lighten the second stage of the trigger I had heard complaints that the rifle suppers from hammer bounce and the resulting ping but this example is very quiet with the only real sound being a muffled click then the impact of the pellet on the target.
    In conclusion I would say it is unlikely to win any beauty contests but the fit and feel would equal a lot of guns at twice the price. The fully adjustable stock is very good indeed and seems to balance out the heavy fore end. This gun will appeal to the HW100 owners because the handling is very similar. The rest of the airgun industry should be looking at the Galatian with interest and a touch of worry. This is a quality product which comes supplied with a hard case, sling and two mags which puts it top of the class in my book.
    At that sort of power I found that FTTs aren't up to it. I use them up to 30 ft lb and 31 grain Baracudas thereafter. The JSB Jumbos will be fine but I suspect they will cost you quite a bit more than Baracudas. Good luck anyway.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post
    At that sort of power I found that FTTs aren't up to it. I use them up to 30 ft lb and 31 grain Baracudas thereafter. The JSB Jumbos will be fine but I suspect they will cost you quite a bit more than Baracudas. Good luck anyway.
    I hope the FTT's are ok but looks like they might be a turkey. The JSB Jumbos cost £12 for 350 which doesn't seem overly excessive.

I use Jumbos in my 50 ft lb Ranger and they are by far the best I have tried in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanner. View Post
    I use Jumbos in my 50 ft lb Ranger and they are by far the best I have tried in it.
    I have zeroed it at 50 yards and earlier this week I took a woodie at 70 yards with just a mildot holdover. Awesome calibre and I am well impressed with the Galatian.

I have zeroed it at 50 yards and earlier this week I took a woodie at 70 yards with just a mildot holdover. Awesome calibre and I am well impressed with the Galatian.
    Sounds good, I am after a legal limit airgun I might try one of these they seem great VFM.

Sounds like the perfect squirrel bashing set up. How much was it Rob if you don't mind me asking? I've read the sub 12ft/lb versions can be picked up for around £300!

.22LR CZ452; .22 Hornet CZ527
    Tikka T3 Varmint .223; .204 Ruger CZ527 Varmint;
    6.5 Creed Bergara B14 HMR

Quote Originally Posted by Elliott View Post
    Sounds like the perfect squirrel bashing set up. How much was it Rob if you don't mind me asking? I've read the sub 12ft/lb versions can be picked up for around £300!
    I paid £540 for it but it is the only FAC .25 in the UK which I had to get transferred from another RFD. I spoke to Edgar Brothers and it would be a three month wait and it lists at £600. The price isn't relevant because its going nowhere soon

(The JSB Jumbos cost £12 for 350 which doesn't seem overly excessive.) £7.50 a tin from countryway gunshop. I use them in my bt65 and my at44 single shot and both love them.
    hw100kt laminate adj cheekpiece version-22, bsa r10 black pepper-22
    wolverine mk1-177, wolverine mk2-22, bsa r10 se black pepper-177
    gunpower stealth-22, brocock bantam hilite-22, at44 single shot-25

A little update after about 2000 shots. This rifle has settled in well and now shoots 39 shots at around 870fps from 180bar. I am utterly astounded at the accuracy of this rifle, just last night I went out and the rabbits were unusually shy. I spent a few shots zeroing at 80 yards and then had four rabbits. The closest at 60 yards and the furthest at 128 paces with three mildots holdover. Can't ask for more can you.

I have Three Galatians in .22 sub 12lb, and absolutely love them. The features on them put a lot of other high end manufactures to shame.
    The only down side is the weight.
    I lent a Galatian one for a You Tube video review, which was not very complimentary about it, but in my opinion, he completely missed the point.
    A VERY underrated gun