Thread: MPL Results Autumn series

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Webley Alecto

I dusted off a black plastic case and dug out a .177 Mk3 Webley Alecto that was fitted with a silencer and remembering just how well Fat Stigg shot with his when he used to bring it to RMTC I decided to give it a go.

I don't like pistols that are made to look like large military side arms, I don't like plastic air pistols and I don't like big clumsy looking ones either - and the Webley Alecto is all of these The safety is like a double trigger - the front one needs to be pushed away with the trigger finger before the rear working rear trigger can be pulled, I also found that very annoying too but for all its geat girth it was actually a very light pistol

The pistol was not too fussy about which pellets it liked ( just as well as I was getting too cold outside to test any more) but I thought the best grouping with those tested was with RWS Meisterkugeln 4.50 so I chose to shoot with these.

With the silencer fitted it was remarkably quiet and I shot the six August cards (yes I know I am running late this time) with it fitted and it was the quietest air pistol I have ever shot. This could be handy if you have thin walls and intolerant neighbours

When I finished I unscrewed the silencer and shot it again with a much more normal noise level and achieved even tighter grouping - unfortunately this was discovered a bit too late but for such a small screw-on tube device it actually worked well.

After I had shot my cards I decided that the Mk3 Webley Alecto was not my favourite air pistol but it did shoot far better than it looked, it was recoilless and easy to shoot, more accurate than me ( they all are these days) and given that many people do actually like the military looking pistols I am a little surprised that nobody else has chosen to shoot one in this series....until now.

Given my various prejudices against the pistol I have to admit that it would be a very good choice for anyone (with large hands) who wanted an accurate target pistol that performs better than the usual favourites such as the GAMO Compact so maybe it deserves to be more popular than it is. The adjustable palm shelf is a bonus too!
    Last edited by zooma; 09-11-2015 at 10:48 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.