Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: And so it Begins! (New Stock)

Well that's a bit annoying! had the stock outside in the weak sunshine, as UV and air helps the oil dry, but its started to rain so grabbed it in and after wiping off I found that there are droplet marks on it, re applied some linseed but they are still there!

The only thing I can think of is to tint the linseed with some oil based artists paint and hope it tints out, want the stock slightly darker anyway.

Tried a light sanding or wire wool?

Looking good!
    I like your choice of timber too.
    I had a bash at making my own stock a few years ago from an Ash tree I cut down. It's certainly unique grain.
    Shoot long range = Live till old age

Quote Originally Posted by Mark A View Post
    Tried a light sanding or wire wool?
    Yes tried a careful sand with 800 W&D but it tends to lighten it so kept to a bare minimum, have now mixed up some linseed with artists oil paint and am trying that...time will tell, surprised that linseed marked like that? but I guess its down to the fact that it wasn't properly dry?

Couple of pics of it basking in the evening sunshine, with two or three coats of linseed.

Thumbs up

If you have a beard or a little growth be carefull as the open grain has a habit of trapping facial hair been their with an ash snooker cue .....fixed it with a good sealing using truoil then linseed oil

Your stock does look good though .......i almost feel another one coming on
    them there springer's are soooooo addictive

Couldn't resist putting it together to see the final result, and I think I have succeeded in making a pretty mediocre looking gun look a bit more special..... am I pleased definitely!

Thumbs up

You could try wet sanding using your oil of choice .....use 800 grit w&d in circular motions over the grain ..... doing this several times will fill most of the grain then oil as normal
    them there springer's are soooooo addictive

Hi Ricky,
    Greatest possible respect!! That looks a truly pro job.It's good to see people doing a better job than some of the top line gun manufacturers.It's a joy to see stuff like this on BBS.

ATB, Owen.
    p.s. Thanks for taking the time to share it with us all.

Quote Originally Posted by joffy View Post
    If you have a beard or a little growth be carefull as the open grain has a habit of trapping facial hair been their with an ash snooker cue .....fixed it with a good sealing using truoil then linseed oil
    I had a walnut stock Pro Sport (standard factory finish) that used to tweak if I missed a shave or two...

I do have a beard, but so far on the practice sightings I haven't managed any tweaks will let you know after the weekend as I am taking it for its debut at the local shooting club.
    Thanks for all the kind comments fellas, they are appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky-Ricky View Post
    Couldn't resist putting it together to see the final result, and I think I have succeeded in making a pretty mediocre looking gun look a bit more special..... am I pleased definitely!

Well done flower.

Proper job.
    Dance like no one is watching.
    Sing like no one can hear.
    Scratch yourself like you think the zoom meeting has ended.

Sorry, got distracted by the tweakie stubble, meant to add a lovely looking stock!

Absolutely superb, very well done

Just thought I would update this as I decided to re do the stock as I wasn't quite happy, so I re sanded and redid the stippling along with some subtle reshaping, and then I re stained it with a mix of linseed and artists oil colours to get the shade I wanted,
    I have also added a new scope and a bi pod.

Also a pic of my wall display with some of my knives as well, sorry for the bad pic as its on my stairs.