Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: And so it Begins! (New Stock)

Always always always inlet first dude...

Wow, that looks great so far. I wonder why airguns usually only use Beech or Walnut? There's some really nice woods out there that never get a look in.

Just be aware that if you oil it, it will go yellow! If you want to keep that bright white look then a clear lacquer would be a better bet. Osmo oil could be worth a try as I believe they do one that is tinted with white pigment to ofset any yellowing. Something to consider as I always hate it when the finish goes on and it changes the look for the worst.

I will be staining it, but not too dark, not keen on blonds, redheads are more my style but seriously the Ash will look loads better for little colour, and it really make the grain pop.

Thumbs up your doing good

here's one I started today http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...ps1ahtnsvo.jpg if you do a search on youtube for colouring ash there's a few videos with very good tips
    them there springer's are soooooo addictive

Do you havea spare piece of the same timber to test stain? Personally I would go with alkanet root oil, will avoid yellow look. See HW100 in sig, it's teak from Ginb which can look appallingly yellow otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by POK! View Post
    Do you havea spare piece of the same timber to test stain? Personally I would go with alkanet root oil, will avoid yellow look. See HW100 in sig, it's teak from Ginb which can look appallingly yellow otherwise.
    That's a beautiful stock on your Longbow btw! So wish I never sold mine, it seems impossible to get hold of one now .

Just experimenting with a spare bit of the Ash using coffee, used to stain pine with it, as you say I am trying to avoid going yellow.

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky-Ricky View Post
    Just experimenting with a spare bit of the Ash using coffee, used to stain pine with it, as you say I am trying to avoid going yellow.
    Looks good Sir! I would be interested to know how it turns out when/if you oil or varnish it. I bought a "fumed ash" stock from a certain FleaBay seller and gave it a couple of coats of Danish Oil. It went very dark indeed (which I didn't mind) but it seemed to cause the wide grain of the timber to swell at different rates (presumably different densities?) so it's not a smooth stock by any means, but has become "ridged" where the grain varies.
    Not explained it very well, but I'm going to sand it using a firm block to see if the high spots can be reduced.
    I'm just wondering whether this is a characteristic of Ash or whether my stock is just made of poor-quality timber (probably the latter!).

Quote Originally Posted by severnsider View Post
    Looks good Sir! I would be interested to know how it turns out when/if you oil or varnish it. I bought a "fumed ash" stock from a certain FleaBay seller and gave it a couple of coats of Danish Oil. It went very dark indeed (which I didn't mind) but it seemed to cause the wide grain of the timber to swell at different rates (presumably different densities?) so it's not a smooth stock by any means, but has become "ridged" where the grain varies.
    Not explained it very well, but I'm going to sand it using a firm block to see if the high spots can be reduced.
    I'm just wondering whether this is a characteristic of Ash or whether my stock is just made of poor-quality timber (probably the latter!).
    Thanks! I think that its a trait of ash, my stock once fine sanded feels raised where the grain is tighter, I think its should even out with oil and further sanding ....I hope

A bit more progress, got the action in which was a saga in itself, and the fore end shaped, still got a lot more to do , may slim down the fore end a bit more yet as I looks a bit heavy to me, the gun itself is now no lightweight, but as its a target gun that's not a problem,

I have now got to decide on the stippling, and its shape, I have also been doing a colour sample to see what I think... quite like it so far, not too yellow, and oil will darken it I presume, guess I could even add colour to the oil if I wanted to go further, the wife wont be pleased though, as she is a coffee addict. :lol:

Thumbs up

http://www.woodworkerssource.com/blo...ng-techniques/

Its satifying when you've finished your first stock
    them there springer's are soooooo addictive

It's very satisfying doing your own stocks, it's enjoyable seeing and using something that you have constructed and it makes shooting that little bit more enjoyable.

Mark.

Just about finished the shaping part, its had a final sand and just stuck on the trigger guard, yes I know its styled on the AA HFT500, but I like the design, just got to decide on the stippling panels, how much/little, and then its on with the coffee pot (well instant)
    Think I'll use boiled linseed, since I just happen to have a bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky-Ricky View Post
    My new stock has just arrived....... well it will be, nice piece of American Ash hardwood, will keep this updated with the progress for those interested, I wonder how many other Gamo Coyotes have a custom stock?
    For some reason I cant use image tags, so here is the direct link.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...pssmlvrky9.jpg
    Fantastic job.

It looks very pro and Ash is not a very easy wood to work with.

Ought to be proud of yourself - I would be.
    Dance like no one is watching.
    Sing like no one can hear.
    Scratch yourself like you think the zoom meeting has ended.

Thanks for all the positive comments fellas,
    Got the stippling done and some stain on, going to try and get a little more red into the colour, and then I can start the oil finish.