Thread: Roa

Darlington. The Land of the Prince Bishops Durham

Lightbulb Roa

Who is the best supplier for 0.457 round lead balls & the 240 grain (Lee type) lead bullets for the ROA.
    Need to replenish stocks.

Thanks
    Al
    AlBur
    Always Remember "Utopia Does NOT Exist"

Quote Originally Posted by AlBur View Post
    Who is the best supplier for 0.457 round lead balls & the 240 grain (Lee type) lead bullets for the ROA.
    Need to replenish stocks.

Thanks
    Al
    Unless your name is Rothschild, then making them is the best way to go, IMO. It might be too much fuss in some folks' eyes, but it sure as heck beats spending £13-14 per hundred on Hornady's lovely swaged stuff.

The Lee-style conicals also shoot like s*** in most ROA's I've ever tried them in, including my own, so unless it's something that you have to do to fill out your bucket list, I'd leave 'em alone.

You can get casting for around £60-70 and a few hundred later they are only costing you your lead-y stuff.

tac

As Tac says, making your own is a piece of cake and hugely cheeper than buying once you have the gear.
    I found conicals are a pig to load as the base of the bullet is flat as is the mouth of the cylinder with neither
    having any sort of lead in. Add to that the bullet is slightly larger diameter than the cylinder and you can
    see a round ball makes sense. I also found they shoot about 4" higher than ball and are no more accurate
    so personally i don't bother with them.
    However if you start casting they are not too bad to make and the mold costs the same as a std ball one.
    Have fun, Tim

Sadly true about conical in ROA,shame Lee changed the design for their molds about a couple years ago too.
    If possible get the old type,the new alignment pins are not so good due to the pins not being fixed in place,just press fit.

Quote Originally Posted by lostcat View Post
    Sadly true about conical in ROA,shame Lee changed the design for their molds about a couple years ago too.
    If possible get the old type,the new alignment pins are not so good due to the pins not being fixed in place,just press fit.
    The Lee mould conical has a slightly heeled base to facilitate loading into unchamfered chambers. However, most ROA shooters in the USA have 'eased' the lip of the chambers to allow them to load these bullets more easily, and many folks I know use them in front of VERY stout loads, on feral hogs and the like, not something that purtains here in UK, sadly.

Having said that, unless you are a real glutton for punishment, and like to load up your ROA with 40gr of 777 for fun, the conical here in UK is an interesting conversation piece, and not a serious paper-punching load.

tac

Roa

have sent PM, about RB and CONICALS,
    your right about Lees new moulds, the steel on the handles is not as good as the old ones and bends much to easy and knocks the pins out of line,
    keep my old gear running a bit longer,
    thanks,T,

If you can't make your own then Shellhouse Bullet Company is pretty reasonable and will post, I shot their .454 balls in my 1858 Remington before I sold it and won the club BP shooting comp.

I have the Lee conical mould which I don't think I will use again if you are interested.

Steve.

These are fantastic in both my Uberti 44's and ROA, ...because they seat straight.. Lubed and ready.

http://i61.tinypic.com/65na5t.jpg

PM me if interested
    The Black-Powder Revival gathers steam..

Quote Originally Posted by CapnBall View Post
    These are fantastic in both my Uberti 44's and ROA, ...because they seat straight.. Lubed and ready.

http://i61.tinypic.com/65na5t.jpg

PM me if interested
    Do you make these or buy them??? Iv got a Lee mold and the bullet is a completely different design with no lube groove around the base. ATB. Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tim56 View Post
    Do you make these or buy them??? Iv got a Lee mold and the bullet is a completely different design with no lube groove around the base. ATB. Tim
    Make them, I hold around 210 molds of all sorts.
    The Black-Powder Revival gathers steam..