Thread: Webley mk3 serial No. 21623 valuation please

Webley mk3 serial No. 21623 valuation please

Hi everyone, could you kind gentleman please give me a valuation on the above rifle please, the gentleman who owns it has has it from the early 1950's and used it for bell target shooting for roughly 20 years and it has a sort of swing out peep sight as well as the normal type open's. I have shot the rifle and it shoots very nicely and surprisingly accurately too, there isn't much of the blueing left and its like a fairly even all over Brown. The rifle is the one in the first couple of pics in the link...Thanks all...Lewis...http://s1142.photobucket.com/user/el...bile%20Uploads

It is .177 presumably?

Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    It is .177 presumably?
    Oops sorry yes .177...Thanks...Lewis...

Looks like early/mid fifties Series 3 with Mk ll style chequering added to grip later?
    Can't ping the sight with my bleary eyes but probably worth as much/more than the rifle!

Quote Originally Posted by deejayuu View Post
    Looks like early/mid fifties Series 3 with Mk ll style chequering added to grip later?
    Can't ping the sight with my bleary eyes but probably worth as much/more than the rifle!
    Thanks for that, any information on a rough value would be also much appreciated...Thanks...Lewis...

Hello Lewis,

The rifle is a deluxe model, as denoted by the chequering on the pistol hand. The PH16M aperture sight was an optional accessory and was popular with bell target shooters during the 1950s. The loss to the finish detracts from overall value but I would still retain it over refinishing for two reasons. Firstly, refinishing takes away all of the rifle's history and makes it less desirable to serious collectors and secondly the cost of refinishing is unlikely to be recouped at a subsequent sale, particularly when the aforementioned serious collectors pass on the rifle due to the non original finish. As to value, as an honest set, I would say £180 - £200.

Kind regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Hello Lewis,

The rifle is a deluxe model, as denoted by the chequering on the pistol hand. The PH16M aperture sight was an optional accessory and was popular with bell target shooters during the 1950s. The loss to the finish detracts from overall value but I would still retain it over refinishing for two reasons. Firstly, refinishing takes away all of the rifle's history and makes it less desirable to serious collectors and secondly the cost of refinishing is unlikely to be recouped at a subsequent sale, particularly when the aforementioned serious collectors pass on the rifle due to the non original finish. As to value, as an honest set, I would say £180 - £200.

Kind regards,

John
    Agreed. The sight adds to the value and taking into account the 'browning' you describe J & J have pitched it correctly (not that I could ever really disagree with them).
    Cheers, Phil

Thank you very much gentleman, I can now give the guy a proper valuation of what his rifle is worth...Thanks...Lewis...

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Hello Lewis,
    Kind regards,
    John
    Having bought this rifle, I would disagree with your first comment. I do not believe it is a 'deluxe' model as the chequering does not match the quality I would expect for a factory item. When examined it is pretty clear that it has been applied by an amateur enthusiast. Also the stock has been varnished with some pretty big runs in it - this is currently being stripped with a view to oiling it.

As to the finish altering to a brown patina - I thought this was the case as well, but the owner of the rifle admitted he had rubbed the original finish off as it had become rusty and had used a cold blue kit to refinish it, however the black colour changed to brown over time to his disappointment.

Despite these things I am happy with the rifle, and having given it a thorough clean and lube it is a pretty nice little shooter.
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

Quote Originally Posted by rockdrill View Post
    Having bought this rifle, I would disagree with your first comment. I do not believe it is a 'deluxe' model as the chequering does not match the quality I would expect for a factory item. When examined it is pretty clear that it has been applied by an amateur enthusiast. Also the stock has been varnished with some pretty big runs in it - this is currently being stripped with a view to oiling it.

As to the finish altering to a brown patina - I thought this was the case as well, but the owner of the rifle admitted he had rubbed the original finish off as it had become rusty and had used a cold blue kit to refinish it, however the black colour changed to brown over time to his disappointment.

Despite these things I am happy with the rifle, and having given it a thorough clean and lube it is a pretty nice little shooter.
    Just goes to show how important it is to either personally examine a rifle prior to a sale or study high resolution close up pics.

John

Indeed it does.

I am not knocking the seller - I handled the rifle prior to buying and was OK with it as I wanted it as a shooter.

There was a side benefit though - the foresight had been fitted with a protector for a BSA Airsporter Mk1, which I understand are rare as the proverbial rocking horse turds - this has now been fitted to my Airsporter Mk1 and a correct Webley version placed on the Mk3.
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

Quote Originally Posted by rockdrill View Post
    Indeed it does.

I am not knocking the seller - I handled the rifle prior to buying and was OK with it as I wanted it as a shooter.

There was a side benefit though - the foresight had been fitted with a protector for a BSA Airsporter Mk1, which I understand are rare as the proverbial rocking horse turds - this has now been fitted to my Airsporter Mk1 and a correct Webley version placed on the Mk3.
    Sounds like you had a good deal and were able to kill two birds with one stone. With the benefit of hindsight and a closer look at that chequering, it does look home brewed, which is a shame. Still, it is what it is and I am glad the deal worked out for you both.

BTW there was an early BSA foresight hood on the bay a few days ago - not sure if the auction has finished yet. The seller was unsure if the hood was original or a copy though.

John

Mk3

the webley mk3 with the fluted stock isnt a deluxe
    Model it is a series one model so an early addition
    I have a few bith with fold out sights in 177 &22