Thread: HW45 barrel clamp bolts - Are these a standard metric size?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

HW45 barrel clamp bolts - Are these a standard metric size?

As seems to be common with these guns the bolts that secure the barrel to the frame were made from cheese and cross threaded. Luckily the allen heads weren't rounded and the female thread seems to be ok, its just the bolts are unusable so need to be replaced.

I googled it but cant seem to find out what size they are and whether they can be replaced with off the shelf bolts, or am I going to have to buy two overpriced bolts from Chambers?

Thanks, Mark

It looks like they might just be 6mm long M3 countersunk bolts which can be had for cheap on the bay. A German gun would use standard metric bolts wouldn't it? Its a Blackstar with fibre optic sights, so must be fairly new.

48 views and no one knew the answer?

Well I ordered some metric bolts, 99p for 6 M3x6mm stainless countersunk head bolts (The hole is deep enough to allow for longer bolts, so 8mm would be better). They fit perfectly . The reason the old bolts were stripped was because the little steel plate that holds the barrel into the frame was being pushed out of alignment with the holes due to the rough edges. Filed them off and now it aligns perfectly.

The threaded holes go down a few extra mm than the standard bolts, so if you have the opposite problem to me and the threads in the hole are cabbaged, then you could re-tap it and get some longer bolts.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...psc66zpks3.jpg

barrel change!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark A View Post
    48 views and no one knew the answer?

Well I ordered some metric bolts, 99p for 6 M3x6mm stainless countersunk head bolts (The hole is deep enough to allow for longer bolts, so 8mm would be better). They fit perfectly . The reason the old bolts were stripped was because the little steel plate that holds the barrel into the frame was being pushed out of alignment with the holes due to the rough edges. Filed them off and now it aligns perfectly.

The threaded holes go down a few extra mm than the standard bolts, so if you have the opposite problem to me and the threads in the hole are cabbaged, then you could re-tap it and get some longer bolts.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...psc66zpks3.jpg
    handy to know about the screws,ive just removed my .22 barrel and am replacing it with a .177. I found the plate holding the barrel in place quite hard to remove so got some long nosed pliers covered in a piece of cloth to help remove it.

I'm thinking of changing my .177 to.22. It's only 2 years old.
    Managed to loosen 1 of the barrel screws which has some red gunge on it. The 2nd doesn't want to move & I'm reluctant to use more force as I think it'll round off the hex socket.

Wondered how you managed to get yours out, any help welcomed.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Robet View Post
    I'm thinking of changing my .177 to.22. It's only 2 years old.
    Managed to loosen 1 of the barrel screws which has some red gunge on it. The 2nd doesn't want to move & I'm reluctant to use more force as I think it'll round off the hex socket.

Wondered how you managed to get yours out, any help welcomed.
    Rob
    Don't bother! My 45 is .177 I was given a .22 barrel, it was quickly swaped back to the .177
    Try using a needle flame blow torch to warm the area to loosen the loctite
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php