Thread: N140 with a 308?

dpile1 is offline Can whistle in a fox from tuther zide of Devon

N140 with a 308?

Having very nearly run out of the elusive Varget, I've bought a kilo of Vit N140. Is anyone using this in a 308? I'm using Nosler 125gr BTs.

Anyone got suggestions for a starting load?

Rather than rely on a 'this works for me' basis, why not just download the free Vihtavuori reloading guide?

tac

N140 is pretty much the classic powder for .308.

As Tac says, follow the Vhit data. I'm finding the best accuracy at 44.0Gr for 155Gr HPBT but obviously this will blow up your gun or something

Randy Bohannon is offline “Junes1 is a whining bellend”
    A little slow burning for 125 grain bullets.

I found I got about 3000 fps.

http://www.vihtavuori.com/en/reloadi...inchester.html
    "An infinite number of monkeys banging away at type writers for an infinite period of time will eventually reproduce Hamlet" Thanks to discussion forums we now know this to be untrue.

dpile1 is offline Can whistle in a fox from tuther zide of Devon
    Quote Originally Posted by zanes View Post
    N140 is pretty much the classic powder for .308.

As Tac says, follow the Vhit data. I'm finding the best accuracy at 44.0Gr for 155Gr HPBT but obviously this will blow up your gun or something
    Haha! Thanks. I think that 44gr is about the starting load IIR. Not used Vit before. I've been trying to get hold of Varget for ages.

Vit powder

With the high price and scarcity of usa powders, many shooters have turned to Vit. All powders used so far by me and fellow shooters have been excellent, both pistol and rifle. Plenty of reloading data online.
    8 gns of N110 in Hornet gives an outstandingly accurate round.

amc577

Quote Originally Posted by dpile1 View Post
    Haha! Thanks. I think that 44gr is about the starting load IIR. Not used Vit before. I've been trying to get hold of Varget for ages.
    Starting load for 125gr bullets, max* load for 155gr bullets.

Don't think there's been any new Varget in the country for at least two years. Haven't heard news regarding when new stocks are expected (though in fairness it isn't a powder I use so I don't keep on top of it). Doubt it'll be this year or next tbh.

*Interestingly it looks like Vhit's listed max load has increased very slightly since last time I checked.

I use N140 in my .308 , 44.0 Grains behind 155 Lapua scenars or Sierra palma match , www.lapua.com and go to their reloading database

I'm using Nosler 125g Ballistic in my Howa .308.
    Start load 44.1 Max 48.9
    I was happy with 48g in my rifle but a load will have to be developed to suit your rifles harmonics.
    Not a cheap bullet but a very capable one.
    Have fun.

I use to use n140 with 155gn Amax but when I ran out I had to find another powder to use...
    I have a few powders to hand but trouble I had was my rifle.
    Being a very short barrel Parker hale scout burning rates can be an issue lol
    I had some tr140 and I had the data for it too on quick load.
    Loaded 45gns with Berger 175gns vlds and it shoots a dream
    Edit......on paper n130 or n135 would be better as they are faster burning powders whereas tr140 is a tad slower than n140,
    According to quick load I do not burn all the powder but sometimes on paper means jack shit lol
    Last edited by loiner1965; 24-08-2015 at 06:56 PM.

vit

SOme target shooters I know, load 45 gr V140 155gr HEAD but some go up to 48gr with 32" barrels. I know Vit says 44gr or there abouts maximum but they a lot lower to account for older actions and litigation, how ever modern rifles will take it. BUT REMEMBER THESE HIGHER LOADS WERE WORKED UP LOOKING FOR PRESSURE SIGNS BY EXPERIENCED SHOOTERS WHO KNOW WHAT THEYARE DOING.
    I love my country, but fear my government