Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 38spl / 357mag loads

6 grains of unique behind a 158gn LSWC & in a magnum case, works fine in both my LBR & 24" rifle.
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

Quote Originally Posted by severnsider View Post
    Mag44uk, Daryll, DesG; thank you all very much for your helpful comments. I think I may have been a little short-sighted in thinking that Bullseye (£43 incidentally) would be a good starting powder for pistol calibre rounds in a rifle. I'll try a few different loads of BE and see whether accuracy can be improved to factory levels; after that I think I'll go for the Viht N320. I'm more interested in 50m with iron sights...... and if I can find a load that is fairly tight at 50m then I'll be happy enough to use it out to 100 yards.
    Try 4.4 gns of N320.... i found that the most accurate load through my Marlin, but a bit "pokey" for comfortable use through the LBR, so i went for the next most accurate, (but more comfortable to shoot), load of 3.8 gn.

My rossi love the 125gr was getting good groups about 1" at 50m

Thanks!

Dick, Daryll - thanks for those suggestions. I'll try these too as I can find Unique and VV locally.
    Simon, that's interesting - I was wondering whether the lighter/shorter bullet might have done better in the slow twist of the Rossi. Something else to try. Fortunately there are a couple of nearby ranges where I can try out various combinations.

I use 4gr Tightgroup in a 357mag case. not heavy load very light

When you've settled on a powder, load five of each up with .2gn increments from say 2.6 to 6 gn and try them. You'll soon find your rifles sweet spot. You should easily exceed factory accuracy.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Quote Originally Posted by DesG View Post
    When you've settled on a powder, load five of each up with .2gn increments from say 2.6 to 6 gn and try them. You'll soon find your rifles sweet spot. You should easily exceed factory accuracy.
    Thanks Des. I'll try this with the Bullseye to start with, but don't think I'll go as high as 6 gn. I've not yet gone any higher than 4.5 gn. Reloading for rifle seems so much more straightforward! N140 for the .308 and 8mm Mauser; N133 for the .223. Seems like there is a lot more choice for the pistol calibre stuff when used in a rifle. I'll get there eventually...

If need any N140 go to Fox firearms there doing its at £216 for 3.5kg

I don't currently shoot .357 but I love N320 in small cases (310 cadet). Burns very cleanly, even at low loads. N310 is better for very low loads but is so fine it flows like water and goes everywhere.

There is nothing wrong with bullseye behind a cast bullet but make sure you don't go too light loads with jacketed.

19 grains of N110 behind a 110 grain JHP used to be fun in a short 357 revolver (those were the days).

Quote Originally Posted by Black Beard View Post
    I don't currently shoot .357 but I love N320 in small cases (310 cadet). Burns very cleanly, even at low loads. N310 is better for very low loads but is so fine it flows like water and goes everywhere.

There is nothing wrong with bullseye behind a cast bullet but make sure you don't go too light loads with jacketed.

19 grains of N110 behind a 110 grain JHP used to be fun in a short 357 revolver (those were the days).
    Thanks Andy...... lots to choose from!

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_S View Post
    My rossi love the 125gr was getting good groups about 1" at 50m
    Mine too, I have now discovered. 4.2gr Bullseye or 4.6gr N320 in a .38spl case works a treat at 20, 50 and (with a bit of holdover) over 200 yards. I think the slow twist of the Rossi might prefer the lighter projectiles...…….

Got new Ruger 77/357 it like the 180Gr TC with 3gr tightgroup

I currently use 3.4g of Vectan AS behind a 158g bullet in a 357 case in my Marlin and this works great at least out to 50 yards. I've also looked at using CSB5 as suggested by mag44 as AS has become expensive. Being a careful Yorkshiremen I don't like to spend money on expensive powders when a cheaper shotgun powder will do the job. The last I heard AS was £60+ per kg and CSB5 less than £35 per kg (see mag44's posting). I dread to think how much N320 is these days. It is good stuff though.

For interest I've found the following:

3.4g AS gives 875fps

3.0g CSB5 748fps
    3.2g 760fps
    3.4g 838fps
    3.6g 886fps

So 3.5/3.6g looks about right for me and confirms AS and CSB5 are not that different.
    CSB5 is slightly denser than AS.
    My powder measure is set to drop 3.4g of AS and without altering it it drops 4.2g CSB5. For comparison it drops 4.4g of Viht 320.
    These loads worked OK in my Marlin but you'll need to check them out in your own gun to make sure they're OK for you if you go in this direction.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmk View Post
    I dread to think how much N320 is these days. It is good stuff though.
    It all seems to have gone up in price recently, but to add insult to injury the N320 is sold in containers which are the same size as those holding 1kg of (e.g.) N133 and N140 but in the case of N320 the same container is only half full with 0.5kg

Quote Originally Posted by severnsider View Post
    It all seems to have gone up in price recently, but to add insult to injury the N320 is sold in containers which are the same size as those holding 1kg of (e.g.) N133 and N140 but in the case of N320 the same container is only half full with 0.5kg
    And in mainland Europe you can buy N320 in 2kg pots at quite a saving.
    If we had any sense we would order a 20kg drum of it and divvy it out locally.