Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reloading .22 LR

Reloading .22 LR

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    You gotta be desperately short of ammo to want to faff around with that.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

A new option, but, according to the blurb, definitely NOT for competitors.

tac

I can’t see any way that this is going on sale in the UK. Messing about with priming compounds looks like a easy way to blow your fingers off.

Whilst the powders are mixed and moist they wont pose a threat.

BBF
    "The grass is always greener on the other side"

And when they dry out they do, kaboom. What do you do with mixed but unused material?

Blasting Ammo??????? so basically she-ite and only good for making a bang on the other hand I wonder if the mould will be any good for heavy weight pellets?

I think this all started with a shortage of .22LR in the States caused by godknowswhat. There were a few vids on line showing how to do it, including making the priming compound by scraping the gubbins from kids pistol caps and mixing with acetone.

Apparently there were places where you just couldn't get a box of .22s at any price.

I was thinking the mould might be good for bullets for downloaded 22 hornet.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Beard View Post
    I was thinking the mould might be good for bullets for downloaded 22 hornet.
    The mould looks like it cast heeled bullets to suit the .22 rimfire cartridge case. I don't recall that the .22 Hornet shoots such a bullet shape.

tac

It doesn't normally, but they should be ~.224 on the widest part so should fit,

It's a very expensive way to get hold of a few bullets that you could shoot in a reloaded Hornet cartridge. Cost-effective? Nossir. Personally, I can't imagine why anybody would want to shoot reduced load Hornet rounds. At what?

tac

Quote Originally Posted by markH View Post
    I think this all started with a shortage of .22LR in the States caused by godknowswhat. There were a few vids on line showing how to do it, including making the priming compound by scraping the gubbins from kids pistol caps and mixing with acetone.

Apparently there were places where you just couldn't get a box of .22s at any price.
    Armstrongs mix one of the most dangerous compound's that used to be used in pyrotechnic's , Litterally lose your finger's/hand's if you make a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by acmsarh View Post
    Armstrongs mix one of the most dangerous compound's that used to be used in pyrotechnic's , Litterally lose your finger's/hand's if you make a mistake.
    Fascinating mix with Antimony trisulfide etc. The teeniest drop of sulfuric acid and off it goes. Good fun in VERY small quantities. (I still have all my fingers!)

It was used as an igniter on the old lucifer matches that Clint Eastwood and John Wayne could light with their thumbnails.

It does work in BP caps (I've tried it) but not worth the effort unless you really had to as it's very corrosive.
    Last edited by DesG; 25-08-2015 at 10:06 PM.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

22 Reloads

Hi All.
    Maybe in the fullness of time there will be primed cases on the market.
    I think we should wait and see how home loading 22 rimfire progresses before knocking the idea.
    My thoughts are ,if I could load 22 ammo to the same accuracy as my full bore then it would have a great advantage to me as a competitive rim fire shooter.
    An afternoons practise can cost me £30 for 3 boxes of 22 Ammo.
    Bear in mind there are a lot of shooters out there that think we should not home load full bore ammo, and some ranges I have been to don't allow you to shoot it.
    See if you can say something positive instead of playing into the hands of the nay-doers all the time. John F.