Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Original Model 50 dating help.

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    I have a mod50 with the same rearsight, It's just a standard one though..

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

I also have some Wasp pellets that I bought, Mostly they're the 5.5 in the lilac tins, the tins marked as Eley are superb quality, the others are not as well formed!!

Wasps!!

John
    In fact your action and the OP's is identical, sights and all, I believe you had said that you had replaced the trigger on yours otherwise it should be the black pressed steel rather than the nicer (earlier) ally one?

Also does yours bear a date stamp? I am theorising that it should. Be good to know and also the date.

My thinking is that the OP's gun is one of the latest B models before all was scrapped and just your style gun (the lower one in the pic) became available.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Quote Originally Posted by air-tech View Post
    In fact your action and the OP's is identical, sights and all, I believe you had said that you had replaced the trigger on yours otherwise it should be the black pressed steel rather than the nicer (earlier) ally one?

Also does yours bear a date stamp? I am theorising that it should. Be good to know and also the date.

My thinking is that the OP's gun is one of the latest B models before all was scrapped and just your style gun (the lower one in the pic) became available.
    Hi Air-tech

The original trigger was actually some sort of composite, a black plastic which had broken!!, It took around two years to find the aluminium replacement which is much stronger than the rubbish plastic one!!

This was the broken original moulded blade

The other mod50 is a steel pressed trigger

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Thumbs up

The earlier one has THIS for the date, The flat top of the '6' makes the date look like '57' though I read somewhere that they didn't start marking dates on the guns until '67

John

By coincidence I've just picked up an Original catalogue from 1977. This shows the later style stock, and says its new for 1977. So at least we know for definite when that shape started.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...pstdtfyauk.jpg

I Was just wondering about my trigger unit. What does the adjuster screw adjust. Is it sear engagement or trigger weight?
    The other thing I was wondering is should it have two adjustment screws? It has two threaded holes, only one of which has a screw in it. There a Model 50 for sale in bits on at the moment, and that only shows one screw. I can't see what could be adjusted if there was a screw in the Fwd hole, as there's nothing behind it to adjust

My trigger...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...psjeeqvyoz.jpg

Once again, thanks for all the helpful comments. Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodnok View Post
    By coincidence I've just picked up an Original catalogue from 1977. This shows the later style stock, and says its new for 1977. So at least we know for definite when that shape started.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...pstdtfyauk.jpg

I Was just wondering about my trigger unit. What does the adjuster screw adjust. Is it sear engagement or trigger weight?
    The other thing I was wondering is should it have two adjustment screws? It has two threaded holes, only one of which has a screw in it. There a Model 50 for sale in bits on at the moment, and that only shows one screw. I can't see what could be adjusted if there was a screw in the Fwd hole, as there's nothing behind it to adjust

My trigger...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...psjeeqvyoz.jpg

Once again, thanks for all the helpful comments. Nick.
    I also have a model 50 with the same trigger as yours with the same screw missing,and two others with the alloy type trigger, with two screws one of which is a lock screw.

The earlier one has THIS for the date, The flat top of the '6' makes the date look like '57' though I read somewhere that they didn't start marking dates on the guns until '67

John

Perfect, '67 it is...
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Hi Air-tech

The original trigger was actually some sort of composite, a black plastic which had broken!!, It took around two years to find the aluminium replacement which is much stronger than the rubbish plastic one!!

This was the broken original moulded blade

The other mod50 is a steel pressed trigger

John
    With a degree of confidence I will say that that plastic one was not even the original. It should be pressed metal. My '67 Mod 35 has a pressed metal trigger. I must check but I don't think any of my 50s have that plastic trigger. Certainly not of that period.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by air-tech View Post
    With a degree of confidence I will say that that plastic one was not even the original. It should be pressed metal. My '67 Mod 35 has a pressed metal trigger. I must check but I don't think any of my 50s have that plastic trigger. Certainly not of that period.
    It seems strange that the plastic blade is a professional job that was made in moulds, It has the same two adjustment screws that the normal ones have too!! (Deffo not home made as there are collapsable mould lines on it )

HERE's another pic of the whole of the disassembled trigger unit

It seems original to the gun to me as it fitted perfectly and worked even though the pivot hole was snapped through! I had tried glueing the broken parts together in this pic but the glue didn't hold

John

If you do a bit of googling, there are several pictures out there of ribbed triggers on Model 50's. Assuming that the ribbed ones are the plastic ones.

I think the plastic trigger is not original to the gun. I believe it may have been correct for a short period after the ribbed aluminium one on the older guns. May even have come off a mod.35. It certainly is not home made. My guns from that period all have stamped metal triggers. But who knows. If any further info comes up, any more guns from the late '60s with ribbed plastic triggers...

Quote Originally Posted by bloodnok View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I just went for what I used to use when I was a kid, and assumed they were still good pellets.
    I did that when I got back into springers, I ordered 10,000 online. I thought there was something wrong with my new gun & nearly sent it back until I took a closer look at the pellets.
    I just use them for running stuff in when it's been apart, give the spinners a good hiding for a couple of hundered shots then move onto something decent & start shooting targets, I've still got quite a few tins left...

If you ever change the piston seal or something on your Original they could come in quite handy, but not for actually hitting targets. RWS Superdomes are an economical place to start, they seem to be at least half decent in everything.

Hi guys, correction to my incorrect notation of pellet tin colours; well and truly taken on board, thanks for the correction [I plead age related brain fade again], I don't have any samples to hand so it was my 'best guess' from memory and that 'aint what it was'.
    ATVB
    abellringer

Original 50

Looks similar to mine which is .177 and has MADE IN GERMANY and 08 66 stamped on it .

Trigger

My rifle has the black plastic trigger and the same rear sight as the OP rifle has .