Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: webly hawk mk3 spares

webly hawk mk3 spares

Hi all i am doing a rebuild of my old webly hawk mk3 (I have been supplied with a good outer action many many thanks thisisdonald i owe you one ) but need a standard mainspring and i guess a few other bits , where is the best place to get them ?

Chambers, John Knibbs International, Protek may well be able to help you or even 'the site' if you are feeling brave. If by any chance you get yourself a Titan mainspring be aware that it may well be too much spring for the rifle and will need reducing in length a bit.
    Cheers, Phil

Just looked out of interest. Protek Supplies list several Hawk spares.
    Last edited by Phil Russell; 23-08-2015 at 07:05 PM.

Ok cool many thanks the spring in it was fitted by my dad 20 plus years ago i think its an ox or maybe a venom but has damaged the action , its never going to be a hunter i just want my son to use it on targets in the garden as i did many moons ago

I think a soft mainspring is what youre after mate, these were renowned for elongated pin holes. Mick T20 done a fair bit of work to his bringing it up to near 12 by sleeving the transfer port and using a cut down meteor spring i believe.
    you are very welcome for the parts i just sold my hawk mk1 and had no need for the rest of the stuff.
    Donald

Once again a massive thank you Donald I have just ordered a standard main spring and a couple of screws from chambers , later in the week I will strip it completely clean all the parts and see what she needs , then take some photo's and show the rebuild . I cant wait to get her going again to me its worth the world I can remember dad (now passed on) putting a ox square spring in it and thinking it was the bee's knee's to be fair it probably made it worse but at the time dad knew best , the day is now a lot closer to my son having a go (4th generation) thanks to you , karma at its best

Nice to see you getting an old Hawke back to life.

My first rifle was a Hawke mkIII in 0.22.

Like your Dad I put an OX spring in it at one point. Made it as harsh as hell.

Decent little guns if left at about 9fp in 0.22.

Barrel lock up can become weak and give a tad of wobble which makes accuracy poor.

As mentioned the other issue was the end block holding cross pin getting pushed back and the holes in the main tube becoming elongated.

The other thing is you take the trigger apart to get the back off and then can never remember how to put it back together.

What other bits do you need for your lad? I may have the odd Hawke part in the magic box under the bed.

Edit ... Oooh and remember those twin split Phosphor Bronze piston rings at the front that give the seal. I would make note of what position they were in and try and put them back in that same position. The tubes are not always perfectly round and so over many shots the rings wear more in other areas than others ( re circumference ). So if you rotate them once they are used they can be sitting with highs of rings on lows of tube and giving a weaker seal, and lower power.

I haven't taken it apart as yet so wil need to look at the piston rings , they seem very dear to buy I may spin something up un my lathe to replace them as the last time I fired it it hardly broke the cardboard box

Quote Originally Posted by snippy View Post
    I haven't taken it apart as yet so wil need to look at the piston rings , they seem very dear to buy I may spin something up un my lathe to replace them as the last time I fired it it hardly broke the cardboard box
    firstly try the breech seal ...a bit of tissue moistened with oil or whatever placed over breech while you fire a pellet. If leaky it will blow off.

If breech is fine, consider trying O rings in place of the original rings if you do not want to buy originals. I replaced the rings on an Osprey with O rings and it was fine ... my notes say BS116. I believe they are the same for the Hawk.
    Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    firstly try the breech seal ...a bit of tissue moistened with oil or whatever placed over breech while you fire a pellet. If leaky it will blow off.

If breech is fine, consider trying O rings in place of the original rings if you do not want to buy originals. I replaced the rings on an Osprey with O rings and it was fine ... my notes say BS116. I believe they are the same for the Hawk.
    Cheers, Phil
    Thanks phil
    will strip it very very soon

FIT TO BURST !! she lives , have stripped old action inspected , years of use and modifaction? by my dad has proved to be enlighting , first off the spring was a square secion presume ox the transfer port has been drilled out to 6mm piston rings where compleetly worn out (no wonder it was harsh and had now power ) and the action had cracked badly at the rear pin,

I have replaced the action with the one donald sent me i have had to dress it a bit , replaced the piston rings with 'o' rings , dressed the trigger sear as it was worn badly as was the safety catch that would no longer 'catch' so had to weld a blob on it and redress square so it works , the barrell was so badly corroded that i had to sand it off in my lathe (still havent decided how to finish it )
    re assembled with a new standard spring ,

The gun as was would not break thru a folded towel in front of my cardboard box full of rags

It now goes thru the towel and 1/2 way thru the boxof rags
    I tried it on a 1/2 pine skirting board in front of the towel and when clean thru the board
    to say i am propper chuffed is a understatment
    now to refinish the stock (dont want to go mad at it but want it inbetwwen what it is now and what it was like 30 years ago) i presume it was stained / warnished in dark walnut colour)

cant stop smiling i am one happy bunny

superb mate - chuffed for you .. its great when you get an old gun going... even greater in your case with the sentimental value... the best bits yet to come, shooting it with your boy...
    Donald

Excellent ... well done.

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    superb mate - chuffed for you .. its great when you get an old gun going... even greater in your case with the sentimental value... the best bits yet to come, shooting it with your boy...
    hopefully monday up granny and grandads got to get a scope as i cant find any open sights , but will get a cheapy one just so he can have a go happy happy happy happy
    will get some pictures put up if i can work out how to do it

Didnt get to shoot it monday as the rear stock holding bolt pulled out of the action , no big issue to repair just goto find a nut of the correct thread to weld on to the action will sort it this week and shoot it at the weekend
    how do i put photo's on here as i have fount a picture of me holding it the day we got it :-) i must be about 8 or 9 and i remember it like it was yesterday , unlike yesterday that i cant remember

Google photos then share to get the link.. then copy and paste in here
    Donald