Thread: FTP Barrel Cleaning

FTP Barrel Cleaning

Went out yesterday after trying a different scope and found the gun was spraying pellets all over the place. My last tin of pellets JSB Express I had treated with Napier pellet lube which had performed at least as well as dry pellets. I decided to clean the barrel and keep my fingers crossed. After about eight patches and a couple of fibre plugs I tried the gun again. Obviously the first few pellets were again a bit off but then it settled back down and normal service was resumed. Panic over but I will be sticking to dry pellets straight from the tin in future.

I would be interested to know if other FTP users find they need to clean their barrels or not.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbaker42 View Post
    would be interested to know if other FTP users find they need to clean their barrels or not.
    Barrels- Never, Sound Moderators- Occasionally
    ,AA , Magtech , Arnie, Sako, Ruger . plus the others .

I use my FTP for benchrest so I notice the smallest accuracy drop off which is usually at around 200 pellets. I use a VGF pull through kit with white felts after every session and periodically take the barrel off and use the VGF rod, intensive felts and paste.
    If you check out the various benchrest forums you'll notice most benchrest shooters clean after every session or as often as every card ( 30-50 shots) . It all depend on the level of accuracy required.
    (one man's sniper rifle is another man's shotgun)

Chris

Not specific to the FTP, but:

Some might say folklore, but I believe with dry pellets - some barrels need cleaning at intervals, others don't ever seem to need cleaning.

But with lubed pellets - they always need regular cleaning.

Nowt wrong with barrel cleaning though. Takes what, 5 minutes? Every 200 shots?

If it gives you better scores, I'd say do it.

Just remember to flip it upside down (in the case of most PCPs) to avoid fluids going down the TP.

I pull through a couple of patches dampened with WD-40 'til they come out clean (I've found no benefit from using nitro solvent).

A couple of dry patches 'til they come out dry.

One lightly oiled with gun oil.

Finally a couple more dry ones until it sounds squeaky clean.

Job done
    Last edited by Rickenbacker; 27-08-2015 at 11:12 PM.

I have never had to clean my FTP barrel in over 10,000 pellets and yes I lube my pellets but not with the oil lubes as I don't think they do the right job .
    In fact the only time I have cleaned a PCP barrel is when switching pellets.

Chris58 has it right in my experience.Benchrest needs every bit of accuracy you can possibly get from your gun,and cleaning the barrel also gives you just that bit extra.Always waste the first few shots (20 ish) before doing competitive shots to settle it down again after cleaning.Also helps to check that it's bang on after you've filled it as well.It seems to hold true for Air Arms MPR,EV2 and FTP;after all they are similar actions.

ATB Owen

Many thanks for all the advice, I will endeavour to take it all on board.