Thread: nipple stuck in cylinder

nipple stuck in cylinder

pick up a westner arms new army
    and found one of the nipple stuck in cylinder, my nipple wrench just slips around, any ideas
    Last edited by gtpkeeper; 13-01-2016 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gtpkeeper View Post
    pick up a remington and found one of the nipple stuck in cylinder, my nipple wrench just slips around, any ideas
    You could try a small extractor that has a left hand thread. Or, you could get a left handed tap and thread the nipple and the screw in a left hand threaded bolt and it should unwind the nipple. Make sure the bolt is of high tensile steel otherwise it might snap or strip the thread.

Also make sure you soak the thing in some sort of penetrating oil for a while to make things easier.

Mark

cheers guys,i soaked it on oil overnight,sides of the nipple pretty much rounded of,
    never used them tools before,

There is another way you could try but you risk butchering the nipple completely.

If you have got a small round file, remove the handle and the tang is usually a tapered square section. If the end is small enough you can tap it into the nipple and then, with a small set of mole grips, you could try turning it and it might release the nipple.
    If it does not work almost straight away then I think you will need to find someone that can remove it for you.

It is possible that the thread exposed in the chamber is all that is corroded. If it is only that, once it has moved a fraction it should wind out.

It is reckoned that if you keep removing the nipples to clean the gun it can wear the thread and cause gas cutting.The hot gases can pass up the side of the nipple and burn away the thread on the nipple and the cylinder.
    Once you have cleaned the gun and it is dry it would not do any harm to release the nipple, without unscrewing it, so that if any corrosion does appear while it is in storage it will not seize the nipple.

cheers for ya help
    ill let you know how it goes,
    ive always removed the nipples on my bp guns and spray with bit of brunox

Try soaking it in coca cola
    And then an ice hockey game broke out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0woZ...layer_embedded
    son got MOM in world championships: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoCcYwNJxv4

thanks to a friend who browwed me a tap set,
    the nipple out

Glad you got it out ok, without damage to the gun. For the future, it may help to put a tiny bit of copper grease on the threads after cleaning. I had trouble with unscrewing the nipples on my BP revolver, and an engineer friend suggested I try this. Never had any problems since, so summat must have worked!
    "Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson
    N.S.R.A. RCO, Club Instructor, Club Coach.

ive always removed the nipples on my bp guns and spray with bit of brunox and keep them in a caps box,
    this gun was bought with nipples left in ,whole gun was bit rusty ,the owner deceased now so wasnt looked after for awhile

cheers for the tip
    Last edited by gtpkeeper; 29-08-2015 at 05:13 PM.

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    I find that PTFE tape is good for nipple threads - ensures a gas tight seal and prevents corrosion/pressure binding. I replace it about after 10 or so shoots.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by gtpkeeper View Post
    thanks to a friend who browwed me a tap set,
    the nipple out
    Hi gtpkeeper

Glad you got the nipple out without too much trouble.

Atb