Thread: Wow super accurate oldie !!!

Wow super accurate oldie !!!

I recently bought a rather battered but perfectly usable FWB sport in .22. I t came with no sights . I bought a cheap second hand Hawke scope with mounts and a Airsoft rifle sling so I could carry when hunting .
    I had always fancied one and went home with my new purchase.

Iwas advised the gun was shooting at 11.5 ftlb . It was quite twangy with a bit of recoil apparent. I decided to send it straight off to Tin bum the tuning guy on here , very quick turn round the gun was back in less than two weeks , no twang , very little recoil .
    I had asked for any thing over 9FTLB with accuracy being more important than power . It came back shooting at 10FTLB , shot it in the garden today ...wow at twenty meters sitting five shots, RWS superdomes I got this .....

I am very impressed !!! For me this is very good !!!
    Some of my best springers have been older ones (BSF 54 /HW77 25mmm ) They dont make them like they used to !!

When I read the title of this post I thought you were talking about me personally.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Ha

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    When I read the title of this post I thought you were talking about me personally.

ATB
    Ian

mmmmmmmmm

Everyone knows I am a great fan of the FWB Sport. When tuned to be nice and smooth, which often means a good bit under the limit, they can still hold their own with the best. The barrels are accurate (even if not perfectly straight from use and abuse). Triggers each have their own feel but can be "learnt". The rifles can be quite hold sensitive due to being so light weight so smoothness is even more crucial. They are a rifle that wants to shoot straight.

Have a fully tuned V-match HW95 which for all the fettling is just as tricky to shoot as any of my Sports. These are .177. Same goes for my Webley Omega .22. Unless you have a heavy weight HW or AA then controlling the spring is all about technique, which makes them interesting. Its the reason I enjoy them so much over more forgiving systems.

Looks like you have one that delivers and that is a joy. Great result.

I.J. though you were referring to " bit twangy", or the "only shooting at 10ft/lbs, well under the limit".

Like you i had always had a hankering for a fwb sport and managed to find a very good example a few years ago, it still has the ASI label on the cylinder. I too have found it to be accurate and a delight to shoot, they really don't make them like they used to. Have fun and enjoy it.

Thanks for replies

Loving it and will be easy to carry around when out hunting my HW77 may take a back seat for a bit!!!

This is how I see old springers, well all springers and gasrams too:
    A fully tuned Venom HW77 with high end scope and completely range sussed then under 45m.
    A good HW77 with a good scope completely range/trajectory sussed then 35m. Same with modern AA's; smooth action, good triggers and heavy gets those extra meters of accuracy.
    HW80 plus a whole host of well sorted tack drivers then under 35m.
    FWB Sport and Webley Omega in hunting configuration then 30m; sporter weight and a joy to carry.
    Almost everything else like an Airsporter S is 25m or under; most farmyard ranges of 20m or under.

So keep the Sport to 30m or under which is 5m less than you would do with your HW77. That 5m matters as its the difference between a sure pin point strike to an iffy shot. Fantastic for Rat, Rabbit and Squirrel or pigeon "up the tree". Just keep the range short to bag up. I have two Sports one with a 4x40 scope the other a 3-9x45 (both period Optima's); plenty to give a sight picture to make a good shot. Get to know your aim off points well and don't faff about with the shot as they are better with smooth and fast shooting. Its how it used to be done before PCP field target parallax rangefinding and dialing. Again know your rifle and work to the limitations. Makes hunting real. Practice makes perfect as always.
    Have fun, I do.

Cheers for the advice

Cheers will be out rabbiting when next rest days come along, can't wait:d

Not bad 30 M

30 meters , superdomes five shots - not bad!!