Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: just got a mk1 bsa meteor (i think)

just got a mk1 bsa meteor (i think)

as above from research ive been doing it has a serial number with n at the start which from a post i found on here leads me to beleive its a mk1 1959/62 its .177 bit rough action has old rust on it and a few dings on the stock front and rear open sight is on it and thats as far as my knowledge goes on this

had no idea it was this old just bought it for abit of fun in the garden.

is this gun rare or valuable or are there alot around only payed £25 for it not shot it yet have no pellets but it cocks has alot of greasy grime on it so might have to give it abit of a clean up stip some of this dirt from its crevises

£25 sounds great for a Mk1 in any state,the rear sight units alone are like hens teeth to source .

Sounds like a decent purchase. Mine are both in pretty decent condition and I paid around 80 each for them.

The MK1 is a blued action. MK2 onwards were enamelled.

The leather piston seal may be rotten but also may be fine.

The MK1 will run nicely at about 8-9 ft lb with an OEM specification spring.

Don't put in a Titan or Ox spring as they will ruin a sweet gun.

Matty
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

£25 not a bad price at all if it's working ok. They're not especially valuable but it's not really about that. I love mine, it's got 'pattina' that gives it character but it shoots bloody well in a back garden plinking setting; managed to hit a strongmint at 10 meters freeheld the other day, that's good enough for me
    HW98 .177, Falcon Menace 4.5-18x56, WW tune HW97 blue laminate .177, Hawke eclipse 4-16x50 ir BSA Scorpion se tactical .177 ,BSA deerhunter 6.5-32×46 SMK XS78, .22 3-9x40 Mountmaster- Remington Express xp tactical .22, standard - Gamo CF20 .177 - mk1 meteor .177

that was going to be the next question leave as is or restore

Hi there, I would say 'sympathetically restore'! Clean up as much as possible, replace parts as needed, and enjoy using a piece of history.
    Keep us informed as we all like to see before and after projects, all the best, Dave
    BSA First batch, Breakdown, Cadet major, Meteors, Mercurys, Airsporters, Supersport, Superstar, Lightning XL, HW80, Logun S16 mk1, Webley Junior rifle, Relum Tornado, Webley mk1 pistol, ASI Centre pistol, Crosman Medalist 1322.

Agreed,if you have to replace the mainspring,buffer washer,piston and breech seals, you'll have spent enough.
    Don't know how far gone the metalwork is, but it's surprising what a piece of 1000 wire wool and some 3in1 will achieve.

Quote Originally Posted by piggy589 View Post
    Agreed,if you have to replace the mainspring,buffer washer,piston and breech seals, you'll have spent enough.
    Don't know how far gone the metalwork is, but it's surprising what a piece of 1000 wire wool and some 3in1 will achieve.
    Good advice..please dont put anything harsher than wire wool and oil on it,or it will be worthless apart from spares. Collectors dont like to see them reblued either so a bit of patina is ok. Nice little guns for the garden.
    BASC

well got some pellets today the first one fell out the end of the barrel

picked it up it was covered in grease cracked barrel open there was a chunk of grease in the barrel so blew it out and put pellet in again and shot a scaffold plank there not penetrating to there own depth so dont think its running to powerful.

took the stock off and there is grease everywhere even inside the stock so ive cleaned the bits on the outside and put it back together for now it can wait till ive been away

might have to hit it with abit of wire wool and oil

will have to get some pics put up when i charge the camera batteries

at the minute its firing about 1 inch to the right hand side how do you adjust side to side on the mk1 do you have to hit the whole rear sight over or something can see how to adjust for up and down

Hi,

I've got a MK1 Meteor in my spares bin with most parts (except the barrel) available if you do need out?...
    blah blah

Quote Originally Posted by astraman1 View Post
    well got some pellets today the first one fell out the end of the barrel

picked it up it was covered in grease cracked barrel open there was a chunk of grease in the barrel so blew it out and put pellet in again and shot a scaffold plank there not penetrating to there own depth so dont think its running to powerful.

took the stock off and there is grease everywhere even inside the stock so ive cleaned the bits on the outside and put it back together for now it can wait till ive been away

might have to hit it with abit of wire wool and oil

will have to get some pics put up when i charge the camera batteries

at the minute its firing about 1 inch to the right hand side how do you adjust side to side on the mk1 do you have to hit the whole rear sight over or something can see how to adjust for up and down
    Yep, drift it over in the dovetail...using light taps!
    blah blah

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    No expert but didn't the mk1s have the metal cap on the end of the air cylinder whereas all the later Mks were plastic?
    May be wrong.
    Very under rated the meteor, the first rifle my Wife bought was a meteor and it came with a peep sight - accurate little blighter - put a lot more expensive rifles to shame!
    (she 'progressed' to Webleys. )
    ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by DCL_dave View Post
    Hi,

I've got a MK1 Meteor in my spares bin with most parts (except the barrel) available if you do need out?...
    cheers will keep that in mind once its stripped

Quote Originally Posted by DCL_dave View Post
    Yep, drift it over in the dovetail...using light taps!
    does it come off both ways or is it just one way it comes off

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporterman View Post
    No expert but didn't the mk1s have the metal cap on the end of the air cylinder whereas all the later Mks were plastic?
    May be wrong.
    Very under rated the meteor, the first rifle my Wife bought was a meteor and it came with a peep sight - accurate little blighter - put a lot more expensive rifles to shame!
    (she 'progressed' to Webleys. )
    ASM
    from what i know the rear sight is very distinctive it has horizontal lines down the stock and the metal end cap plus i learned from the serial number

Quote Originally Posted by astraman1 View Post
    cheers will keep that in mind once its stripped

does it come off both ways or is it just one way it comes off

from what i know the rear sight is very distinctive it has horizontal lines down the stock and the metal end cap plus i learned from the serial number

The dovetails slots are parallel so the rearsight should drift left or right as needed.
    blah blah

well finaly got a bit of time to strip this rifle down

made a tool to take the spring tension away to get the pin out out of a bit of broom handle

must say i am pleasantly suprised everything is all there and its in good nick only problem i had was everything has been caked in grease it was every where over every internal componant all over the spring and spring guide even in it too.

and all over the piston and the piston head so much so that it has compacted in the end of the cylinder and im guessing as its been fired its burnt the grease and compacted it down hence the little bits of gunk its been blowing out of the port hole

so spent a couple of hours wiping everything down and then i put it away

now on to the questions im no expert but i dont think there should have been that much grease in there

im considering polishing all the internals abit but what grease should i reapply and to what bits specifically i have to hand normal (mechanics grease) or (molycote grease iirc) if any of these will do the job id prefer to use these to keep cost down but if its not gonna work ill have to dig into the pocket