Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Original 35 resurrected

Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    Get a life ,mate!
    I'll give it a go, but that really doesn't answer my question - or haven't you thought of a smart answer yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    A.G.

Well done in getting it back together! It seems that M&G at that time never imagined that their guns would be taken apart by anyone bar a Diana-trained gunsmith, using special Diana tools and know-how.

The 35's short stroke is an absolute limiting factor on power. They struggle to make 11 ft/lbs in .22", and are around 9ish ft/lbs in .177". Only a tiny bit more than the lighter, cheaper, easier-cocking 27. When they were sold in the US, M&G over-stated (that is a polite way of putting it) their power level. Which worked until people chrono'd them.

A bit like an Anschutz 335, a Diana 35 is a very solid, attractive, accurate and pleasing garden gun/plinker that will last forever if carefully maintained. But not an equivalent to an FWB Sport, HW35, HW80, etc. Which is why M&G brought out the very long stroke 45.
    I have a 35 S, Its a much bigger heavier gun with a higher output. This one had the HW Ether injection unit fitted
    ( Prior to my purchase ) & Seems not to have suffered .

Pics on the search facility somewhere !
    Ged

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    I think that this was the last time that I shot a live bird and I am sure that it was early 79,
    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitwrecker View Post
    You just don't listen, do you - 100 yard rabbits, now a 70 yard magpie with a 9.5 ft/lb springer no less. You should be ashamed of yourself - you obviously have no respect for your quarry. How many magpies did you maim before you managed to kill one? Not exactly a clean kill either. I'd be too embarrassed to mention it, let alone brag about it in open forum. Do the local wildlife and the responsible shooting community a favour, sell your guns and take up stamp collecting.....
    Shameful, does not read post properly.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Quote Originally Posted by air-tech View Post
    Shameful, does not read post properly.
    Guilty - but whenever the 'incident' occurred, is it wise to post such things on this forum?

I don't know how many times I have to mention that I don't hunt anymore. That poor magpie was the last one back in 1978. I leave the hunting to more qualified people. Today I was putting .177 pellets through a 25mm hole at 75 yards time after time and one after the other and hitting 10mm targets at 55 yards at will, they were smaller than diameter of the mildot @ 10x and that was good enough for me.

A.G

M35

love my 35 models,cracking triggers and a nice sized rifle. Proper old school . The early one I have has no scope grouve but latter one I have has. Prefer the no scope model sleek looking hunter.
    Well done resurrecting it.

Thank you. I am glad that I got it working after a long time. When I took piston out the old leather seal had all but lost its contact with the chamber and removing it proved a difficult job. I couldn't get the retaining screw out first. Then I heated it thinking that it might have been loctited in then it sheared while I was trying to unscrew it. I had to put the piston on to my Taig lathe and use an expensive 4.00 mm Carbide end mill in the tailstock of the Taig and just mill the broken bit out. Then I used a 5mm machine tap to retap the hole to 5mm. It all worked out in the end. I wonder if you advise replacing the leather seal with one of Delrin. I have a stock of 30mm diameter Delrin that I could use. BTW that Oilon was one of worst engineering plastics that I have ever machined.

A.G

Protek do a synthetic piston seal replacement washer for the piston. When I sold my 35 to MrTo I also sold a new piston washer and seal. If he fits it he may comment on its' performance.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalBee View Post
    Protek do a synthetic piston seal replacement washer for the piston. When I sold my 35 to MrTo I also sold a new piston washer and seal. If he fits it he may comment on its' performance.

The seal and adaptor are probably destined for another rifle,but if I do fit them into the 35 I will post results on the forum.

Regards,
    mrto.

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    Thank you. I am glad that I got it working after a long time. When I took piston out the old leather seal had all but lost its contact with the chamber and removing it proved a difficult job. I couldn't get the retaining screw out first. Then I heated it thinking that it might have been loctited in then it sheared while I was trying to unscrew it. I had to put the piston on to my Taig lathe and use an expensive 4.00 mm Carbide end mill in the tailstock of the Taig and just mill the broken bit out. Then I used a 5mm machine tap to retap the hole to 5mm. It all worked out in the end. I wonder if you advise replacing the leather seal with one of Delrin. I have a stock of 30mm diameter Delrin that I could use. BTW that Oilon was one of worst engineering plastics that I have ever machined.

A.G
    try this.. a couple of options here .. the problem with a delrin seal / head, i believe ,will be the roundness/trueness of the comp tube.

or if you want to make your own then try polyeurethene......interested to know how you get on, i've got a mod 50 that needs a bit of love . i'd like to split the comp tube from the tap / barrel section to get it honed , but haven't figured out how yet...

http://vortekproducts.com/ourstore/Seals-Tuning-Parts