Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crosman Screw

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm

Crosman Screw

I am the owner of an old Crosman 1300 air pistol, which I've had since I was 11 or 12. For the last couple of years I've had a replacement screw of slightly the wrong thread doing duty as the rear sight securing (windage adjusting) screw. It only ever bit by a couple of threads, but these are now gone and the screw no longer holds.
    Has anyone out there got a spare I could scrounge/buy? Failing that, does anyone know for sure what thread and length the original screw was?
    I've e-mailed Crosman with this question but had no reply. I'm not entirely sure, but I think this is a different screw to the one fitted to the later 1322 and 1377 pistols.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

The Crosman part number for the model 1300 rear sight screw is 1934-010, which will help you order the part. Yes, it is different from the same screw for the 1322/1377.

I would check with the repair shops in the US for sourcing this. Precision Pellet, MAC-1, etc.

Don't know the specifics of this part but Crosman always used standard SAE threading on their parts; that is, no metric parts.

Is there any other screw on that or another Crosman that will fit the hole properly? If there is you can measure for the correct thread at least & go looking for something suitable.

Quote Originally Posted by oliver13 View Post
    Is there any other screw on that or another Crosman that will fit the hole properly? If there is you can measure for the correct thread at least & go looking for something suitable.
    Unfortunately Oliver, I don't have any other Crosmans to compare it to, and it's the only screw of that size on the pistol. None of the screws in my spares box are anything like the same size. The only thing I know for sure is that it's even smaller than 4BA.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

http://www.jgairguns.biz/catalog/pro...ducts_id=10043

Looks like it is for sale here. As can be seen, it is custom made part. Still, the threading will be SAE; as always with Crosman.

Note that you may also have to replace the lower screw (130-013) if the wrong sized screw has been forced into it. see http://www.jgairguns.biz/catalog/pro...oducts_id=9634

The guy who runs this site is well known and reliable. Have no idea if he ships overseas but he probably does. You might have to contact him.

Question

Seeing as it's a nut and bolt, Could they not both be substituted for say a 5 or 6BA??

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by DT Fletcher View Post
    Have no idea if he ships overseas but he probably does.
    Yes, he does. Very reliably and inexpensively for small parts, in my experience.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    Unfortunately Oliver, I don't have any other Crosmans to compare it to, and it's the only screw of that size on the pistol. None of the screws in my spares box are anything like the same size. The only thing I know for sure is that it's even smaller than 4BA.
    Just a thought, take the screw out of the nearest light switch or socket & give that a try, it's M3.5 fine, it's worth a shot.
    I used a cut down one to hold the rear sight on my Scorpion for years after I lost the original, I never did get around to replacing it, It was chromed brass so probably did look a bit out of place.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Yes, he does. Very reliably and inexpensively for small parts, in my experience.
    I think I need to contact him then, because I just put together an $18 order to get round the $15 minimum, and the cheapest shipping available was $48 I wouldn't mind, but the package weighed just 11oz and the largest item was a pack of cards.

Quote Originally Posted by oliver13 View Post
    Just a thought, take the screw out of the nearest light switch or socket & give that a try, it's M3.5 fine, it's worth a shot.
    I used a cut down one to hold the rear sight on my Scorpion for years after I lost the original, I never did get around to replacing it, It was chromed brass so probably did look a bit out of place.
    Tried that, no joy. The light switch screws are a good replacement for 4BA, that's how I know this screw's smaller. They do fit the grip screws though.

Another shop to check would be precision pellet http://www.airgunshop.net/contactus.html

Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    I think I need to contact him then, because I just put together an $18 order to get round the $15 minimum, and the cheapest shipping available was $48 I wouldn't mind, but the package weighed just 11oz and the largest item was a pack of cards.
    Yes, worth an email because it sounds too steep for such a light weight. I remember John did me an estimate outside his online ordering system because the items were tiny. That was years ago and I know US post prices have gone up since, but not by that much!
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

It was $48 on my order for a spring.
    But a good American Chap on another forum got it delivered to him and posted it onto me.
    Total postage was around £10 for both sets of postage.

OK ... you are making progress in that you say less than 4BA. Do you know the spec of the screw you had (partly) in the hole?
    You might like to find a chart on the 'net' that gives you thread specifications for various screws. Maybe a 1/8" diameter or a 9/64. 9/64 is, I believe, closer to 4BA.

Good luck
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    OK ... you are making progress in that you say less than 4BA. Do you know the spec of the screw you had (partly) in the hole?
    You might like to find a chart on the 'net' that gives you thread specifications for various screws. Maybe a 1/8" diameter or a 9/64. 9/64 is, I believe, closer to 4BA.

Good luck
    Phil
    I'm with Phil on this one ...Measure the hole...but being American it is possibly UNF/UNC, if just smaller than 3.5mm then it could be 5-40UNC or 5-44UNF may be?... have a look at a thread chart - http://mdmetric.com/tech/thddat9.htm#uef
    blah blah