Thread: A link to the law Commission Consultation Paper For Fire arms Law

A link to the law Commission Consultation Paper For Fire arms Law

Hi,

Further to my previous post I believe that everyone with an interest in guns should read this consultation paper and make their views known to the relevant parties before the CPS and the lawyers run away with this. I am sorry if I am being anal about all this but I feel that little by little what we have today is slowly being taken away. Some of the examples quoted in this paper as basis for changing the definition of " Lethal Weapon " are mind boggling. This was published last March I believe but I maybe wrong, for sure this is a 2015 paper.

http://www.lawcom.gov.uk/document/fi...ltation-paper/

Regards,

A.G

www.lawcom.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/cp224_firearms_summary_English.pdf

Skimming through the summary, in among the discussion on deacts, imitations and antiques, sections 1.28 1.30 and 1.31 seem to advise that air guns over 1J (FCC) or 2.5J (ACPO) should be classified as firearms (and not as now "not specially dangerous" "low powered air rifles " up to 16J) and subject to the same licensing and RFD face to face sales.
    Unless I am reading this wrong, we should be very concerned. Thanks for pointing this out
    Last edited by rogb; 28-08-2015 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Clarification

Those sections read well until 1.30 when the work experience boy takes over.

Looks like an attempt to legislate for everything. Some of it is nonsense, like claiming firearm amnesties have been hugely successful. Or claiming that a simple energy figure is a sufficient definition of lethal (it is much more complex than that).

It is my understanding that they are classed as firearms with respect to the law but are unlicensed up to 16 joules because up to that point they are not 'specially' dangerous.

This is based on risk not ultimate lethality

They are not imitation and are therefore not painted blue or orange.

This does not however mean that they are not dangerous.

Air rifles up to 16 joules can still kill or seriously injure and the same rules should apply to their use as fac firearms which I am sure we all adhere to.

I treat my sub 12 air rifles with the same respect and precautions as I do fullbore rifles because they are still firearms.