Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: bear grylls rifles and pistols

bear grylls rifles and pistols

I really have to admit, I like Bear Grylls. Regardless of the fakery and how I love shouting at the telly 'why why why' he really is a good guy.

just take a look at what he has put his name to now - If I was a boy I would have idolized him- not only is he the best chief scout ever, he has squarely put himself to the left of all the namby pamby brigade and is an advocate for giving kids a shot at the childhood many of us grew up with. knives guns, adventures... great stuff..
    Donald

agree. lots of people knock him but the more like him the better.

Also agree can be a bit OTT but still great to watch ..

Personally I don't see the attraction. He's just putting his name to random kit, some of which has had to be recalled so hardly tested by bear. His exaggeration of his time in the army reserve also really winds me up. Youngest to climb everest at one time, it's not like he needed to become such a faker.

I would never buy anything with his name on.

secretagentmole Guest

Best Chief Scout ever?

What? A liar? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-Survivor.html

The Scout Law

A Scout is to be trusted.
    A Scout is loyal.
    A Scout is friendly and considerate.
    A Scout belongs to the worldwide family of Scouts.
    A Scout has courage in all difficulties.
    A Scout makes good use of time and is careful of possessions and property.
    A Scout has self-respect and respect for others.

That's the first two peed up the wall then!

Do I detect a hint of jealousy???? Or is turning into grumpy old men something I should start worrying about?. Personally I think he is doing a good job, as do millions of other people. Remember, he makes TV shows. It's for entertainment. If you feel you could do better, I Suggest you contact channel 4 with your cv.

secretagentmole Guest
    Not jealousy, merely amazed at the hypocrisy.

I find it amazing that someone who lied to millions, if not billions (world wide audiences) has been chosen to be the Chief Scout and the Scouts are an organisation that has honesty and trust at the core of it's beliefs.

I don't care for him or his made in China Bear Grylls super special knives, axes, hatches, multi tools, air pistols or air guns. It's a marketing plot to sell mostly cheap chinese stuff for horrendous prices. And a lot of people fall for it. I've never once watched his show and I don't fell like I'm lacking something in my life. I go out for myself. I don't need to watch somebody else do it.

I'm into knives and outdoor stuff myself and the first time I came in contact with his name was a youtube video about one of his chinese machetes that broke. From there on I didn't bother for anything orange/black with BG on it. Some products might be good, but there's a lot cheaper and better stuff out there too.

Drink your piss and become famous.

Quote Originally Posted by secretagentmole View Post
    Not jealousy, merely amazed at the hypocrisy.

I find it amazing that someone who lied to millions, if not billions (world wide audiences) has been chosen to be the Chief Scout and the Scouts are an organisation that has honesty and trust at the core of it's beliefs.
    Why has he lied ??

You seem to be confusing verbal statements or explanations of survival techniques with footage shot for television

The simple fact that there is someone there to film it should give you a hint that it's just for entertainment, not exactly "life or death"

Never believe anything you see on a television program.

Bear Grylls is a TV personality.
    If he uses that fame for financial gain - ie. Licensing outdoorsy type items, that's fine.

Personally I like Ray Mears - no fuss, no flap and just thoughtful activity.
    Also Ray can pull his hand out of a pond with a saturated sanitary towel and have it burning bright with just a freshly picked dock leaf and a public hair in just 2 minutes.

Bear is an adventurer, Ray will be watching his whooping and shouting from his hammock while sipping a brew.

I wouldn't ever dis. Bear, we have seen this sort of thing before with Steve Irwin. Steve was a true son of Australia, His countrymen and family should be proud of him. He will be responsible for so many getting interested in the natural world with his enthusiasm.

Watching his daughter speak at his funeral was one of the most touching things anyone could see.

Whilst I am fully in support of the Scout movement, they needed to change.

When I was a lad, I went to join the Scouts and was not allowed to, I was not voted in.

The reason - because my dad was a policeman.

Change in that group should be applauded.
    Dance like no one is watching.
    Sing like no one can hear.
    Scratch yourself like you think the zoom meeting has ended.

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    Do I detect a hint of jealousy???? Or is turning into grumpy old men something I should start worrying about?. Personally I think he is doing a good job, as do millions of other people. Remember, he makes TV shows. It's for entertainment. If you feel you could do better, I Suggest you contact channel 4 with your cv.
    I get a little wound up that he was in the TA for a very brief period in the late 90s, never went on an operation but seems to trade off the whole SF thing. He bust his back on a civilian parachuting holiday but I've seen this inflated into all sorts of nonsense.

I listened to him on desert island discs... He was asked if he had ever killed anyone! Instead of saying "no" he said "you can't ask me that." Leaving it up to the listener to decide! Not once did he correct the interviewer who obviously thought he had been on ops or had been regular SF.

Quote Originally Posted by Two200's View Post
    When I was a lad, I went to join the Scouts and was not allowed to, I was not voted in.

The reason - because my dad was a policeman.
    that sounds strange

Salamander is offline The bbs' most interfered with member
    Quote Originally Posted by artschool View Post
    that sounds strange
    It was the 1st Strangeways Scout troop.

Joke.
    That mod from Yns Mon's been interfering with me.

I like Andrew Ucles. His You Tube clips are very entertaining. If you've never heard of him, look him up. Well worth a watch.

All of the above.