Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: bear grylls rifles and pistols

Quote Originally Posted by oneseven View Post
    I get a little wound up that he was in the TA for a very brief period in the late 90s, never went on an operation but seems to trade off the whole SF thing. He bust his back on a civilian parachuting holiday but I've seen this inflated into all sorts of nonsense.

I listened to him on desert island discs... He was asked if he had ever killed anyone! Instead of saying "no" he said "you can't ask me that." Leaving it up to the listener to decide! Not once did he correct the interviewer who obviously thought he had been on ops or had been regular SF.
    TA or not, he still passed selection for SAS. Then he climbed Everest after recovering from breaking his back. Feats of determination and endurance most can only dream of.

regardless of what he may or may not be, kids watch it and love it. If his tv show inspires more kids to get off their arses and get muddy, as for knives and guns for xmas, birthday, easter, tooth fairy, anniversary etc, lol, then Im all for it... who cares if the actual gear isnt high quality - its designed as entry level - if you want to get snobby about chinese products, im sure you wont mind handing back 50 percent of everything you own.

you can poo poo his exploits as much as you want, but Ill bet more than half of the bbs wouldnt attempt anything near some of stuff he does - and thats why he has his own tv show and inspires cubs and scouts across the uk.

as for the best chief scout - his predecessor was an actor turned blue peter presenter, before that was an elder from the Presbyterian church.. before that it was ex military guys, navy and paras. So I think its safe to say that he's the best chief scout certainly since I was in the scouts.. and going back to the 70s. Ive never met the guy but if I did, Id shake his hand and thank him for inspiring a generation of kids not to be namby pamby lazy arses and long may it continue.
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    regardless of what he may or may not be, kids watch it and love it. If his tv show inspires more kids to get off their arses and get muddy, as for knives and guns for xmas, birthday, easter, tooth fairy, anniversary etc, lol, then Im all for it... who cares if the actual gear isnt high quality - its designed as entry level - if you want to get snobby about chinese products, im sure you wont mind handing back 50 percent of everything you own.

you can poo poo his exploits as much as you want, but Ill bet more than half of the bbs wouldnt attempt anything near some of stuff he does - and thats why he has his own tv show and inspires cubs and scouts across the uk.

as for the best chief scout - his predecessor was an actor turned blue peter presenter, before that was an elder from the Presbyterian church.. before that it was ex military guys, navy and paras. So I think its safe to say that he's the best chief scout certainly since I was in the scouts.. and going back to the 70s. Ive never met the guy but if I did, Id shake his hand and thank him for inspiring a generation of kids not to be namby pamby lazy arses and long may it continue.

Well said the man above, 100% agree.

Bear Grylls? Sounds like something that you'd find on an Arkansas BBQ.....

Friend of mine with his wife run a 'forest school'.

They teach kids from all sorts of backgrounds about being in the outdoors. Using a knife, an axe, and a saw to gather wood and light a fire etc etc

It's amazing how cossetted modern kids have become. Most of them have never been near a fire or seen an ants nest. Many of them have never tied a knot or built a den.

I know Bear Grylls fakes some of his survival situations to make good TV but I admire his attempt to bring the outdoors to life for these youngsters and I agree he's the best Chief Scout since Baden Powell!

Ouch!
    Ouch!
    Barn Door Scarer
    HW95k .22, HW50s .22, BSA Goldstar SE .177, AA 510 Ult Sporter .177

His new knife actually look half decent from the review i watched on Youtube. Overpriced for what it is though. The guns are a bit of a strange one to add to the product line though.

I made my own Ray Mears copy knife out of some 4mm tool steel

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    When he started out he was not doing the stuff he claimed to be, no he was ensconced in the lap of luxury not camping out in the wild over night, or eating nice bits of steak rather than dead camel. Sorry but when you claim you are doing something and not doing it that makes you a liar by my definition.

He may be doing a good job with the Scouts but there again if I had a son I would not let him join the Scouts as I believe the organisation has been corrupted and tainted by forcing girl membership on troops.

Anyone who promotes shooting sports gets my approval - despite being yet another spoilt posh kid who did a couple of weekends with 21........
    "But we have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked, but not comprised. We are interested and associated, but not absorbed."
    Winston Churchill 1930

Quote Originally Posted by secretagentmole View Post
    When he started out he was not doing the stuff he claimed to be, no he was ensconced in the lap of luxury not camping out in the wild over night, or eating nice bits of steak rather than dead camel. Sorry but when you claim you are doing something and not doing it that makes you a liar by my definition.

He may be doing a good job with the Scouts but there again if I had a son I would not let him join the Scouts as I believe the organisation has been corrupted and tainted by forcing girl membership on troops.
    WOW... you are a bright ray of sunshine arent you? geezo... sounds like you spent your childhood getting pleasure from everyone else's misery

cheer up Moley
    Donald

I am a Ray Mears follower. 100% reality and feet on the ground.
    For most folks....survival is a deeper and wider knowledge and using that knowledge to try and avoid getting yourself into a situation where you then have to get yourself out of deep dodo.

However....that said there are times when you need cahoonies and that seems to be Bears forte.

Personally I think some of the actions and situations undertaken are stupidly risky in a non real emergency situation.

Its a bit of a balance....putting yourself at risk deliberately for the sake of an adrenalin rush like wing suits......to extracting yourself out of an immediate life or death scenario to lea4ning and understanding how to survive and make the best of available resources to make survival a more definite prospect by forward thinking.

Have to say Ray Mears has the better knowledge and more empathy with the environments he is in.

Bear is more showy and risky. I do like him though....but anything bright.orange with BG initials doesnt swing it for me.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

I am happier with BG orange air pistols than I am watching Fatty Mears making daisy chains and performing rain dances...
    "But we have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked, but not comprised. We are interested and associated, but not absorbed."
    Winston Churchill 1930

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gen View Post
    I am happier with BG orange air pistols than I am watching Fatty Mears making daisy chains and performing rain dances...
    ha ha.. love it..

I dont think the two are comparable at all I like them both for what they are... lets not forget their predecessors though..

Rob 'the Barefoot Bushman' Bredl and Ron Hood of Woodsmaster are two of my favourites, unfortunately Ron hood died of a heart attacl 2 years ago, before he made it to mainstream TV
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by Arschilecki View Post
    I don't care for him..... I've never once watched his show.
    Then what do you base your judgement on?
    Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're probably right.

Well at least the age old question of "which is the best caliber for hunting"? Can finally be laid to rest!

If this rifle only comes in one caliber then it must be the best!

http://www.pellpax.co.uk/airguns/air...l-set-177/3296

Will dispatch vermin, deer and even brown bears!
    Shoot long range = Live till old age

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gen View Post
    Think that says more about you than fatty smears😆
    I like both for different reasons. but if asked who I would prefer as a teacher I would go Mr Mears everytime. deeper thinking and better understanding of the environment. exploiting it rather than oh shit how do i survive.
    You need both though but the long game is the better survival stratergy.
    As for bright orange and pistols....well I guess we all have our pecadillo's😮😮😮
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill