Thread: Basic quality 3-9x40 mildot scope

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia

Basic quality 3-9x40 mildot scope

Looking for a simple 3-9x40 scope.

Don't really need PA, as once set at 30 ish yards, just winding the zoom down for closer use is fine
    Don't need IR
    Want a mildot or scb / ladder - some kind of multi aim point ret
    Reasonable glass, but doesn't have to be earth shattering
    Decent FOV - not a bog roll
    budget around £50-70

Secondhand, I love the bushnell trophy in this spec.
    I also have some secondhand Hawke panorana EVs, which are good, but more stuff and bulk than I need, and they don't track that well.

New, the only thing I can find is the Nikko gameking (only £35 - bargain) I have one and they seem pretty good, but I'd like a little better optically.

Anything else I should be looking at ? 3-9x32 is also OK.

TIA - JB
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

So would I

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post

Don't really need PA, as once set at 30 ish yards, just winding the zoom down for closer use is fine
    Don't need IR
    budget around £50-70

I also have some secondhand Hawke panorana EVs, which are good, but more stuff and bulk than I need, and they don't track that well.

New, the only thing I can find is the Nikko gameking (only £35 - bargain) I have one and they seem pretty good, but I'd like a little better optically.

TIA - JB
    Good thread mate ,I would and a few more would as well ,,,,,,,,,any one ,,,,

Hawke Vantage (14 121), £60 rrp on their web site.

Exactly what you're asking for in mil dot ret.

You're not going to get fancy balistic ret's on base level scopes because the manufactures know that the people who want the more detailed aim points will, more than likely, also want adjustable focus & be willing to pay a bit more to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post

Don't need IR
    budget around £50-70

TIA - JB
    Hi,

How about this one ? Seems to tick all the boxes. I would also have a look at the Leapers range in J S Ramsbottom.
    http://www.uttings.co.uk/p102719-bsa.../#.VeBBVv9RG00

A.G

3-9 x 40 scope

How about one of these
    PAO 3-9 X 40 scope nice glass for the price and does every thing you want sorry no link cant get them to work
    But they are available on the big mail order site thats a forrest in south America

The BSA scopes I've had previously have all been complete toss, so not too tempted unless things have changed...

Will look at the hawke, but I do find Hawke generally a bit lacking in the longevity department on springers - e.g. one of my EVs has weird tracking where it takes half-a-dozen shots for the POI to settle after an adjustment. and quite a few reflexes that have rattles and shifting POIs

For reference I have old EBs, Tascos (original), Simmons, Nikko Sterlings and Bushnells which never give any problems (in spite of many being from the budget ranges).

The ags cobalt 3-9 is the right kind of spec, just no idea of the quality.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I have a massive box of cheap scopes.....

Want me to bring a few next week..

Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
    I have a massive box of cheap scopes.....

Want me to bring a few next week..
    Please mate...

...In fact, just sweep up the workshop floor and the bottoms of your bluing tanks with all the spare bits of actions, I'm sure we can make a few frankenguns - could be a good mag article

So an update on the Nikko 3-9x40 mildot gameking

very cheap- £30
    decent optics for the price, but not quite as crisp as I'd like reading cereal packet text at 30 yards
    slightly narrow field of view
    easy to reparalax
    doesn't feel cheap
    tracks fine
    nice size ret

So I would say they are excellent value, but I want something a little better optically, with a larger FOV, and would be happy to pay double for it - this should be possible, right ?!?!

Me too

Great thread OP. Sure many would also be interested. I am looking for similar for my old Hw80, Ie sub or around £100 good glass, mil dot, would possible like a bit more mag though. Will keep my eye on this thread .
    Hope others can chip in with reccomendations

Optical Tech

I've a BSA 'Deerhunter scope which suits my eye perfectly, but the reticle rotates! Is there a scope techy in the commune?

Thanks for the piggyback Jon.
    Seize the Day! Quigley Hollow is a great place to start.

Hi Jon,have you had a look at the Rhino 2.5-10 x 26 mil dot FFP scope,30mm body and IR - I know not quite the spec you listed but for the money these are superb.
    Very bright,clear and sharp optics with excellent DOF,easy to re-parallax and built like a tank.I think they are under a ton brand new.
    Life without happiness is no life at all.

Quote Originally Posted by markmac View Post
    Hi Jon,have you had a look at the Rhino 2.5-10 x 26 mil dot FFP scope,30mm body and IR - I know not quite the spec you listed but for the money these are superb.
    Very bright,clear and sharp optics with excellent DOF,easy to re-parallax and built like a tank.I think they are under a ton brand new.
    I love the look of them, from protek, right...?

On my wish list, should be perfect for HFT too...

Yep, That's the one

Brilliant bit of glass for only £90 and the Ret & FFP are excellent features - can't believe they are so cheap.Have a look through one, you won't be disappointed.
    Life without happiness is no life at all.