Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overpricing of old, broken or incomplete airguns.

Overpricing of old, broken or incomplete airguns.

It upsets me that some people think just because something's old or unusual it's worth a lot of money. It might be if it is in virtually 'as new' condition, especially cosmetically, but all too frequently ask silly money for tatty, damaged or with missing parts, typically iron sights which are very expensive or unobtainable. As soon as the blueing deteriorates, stocks are cracked or water damaged etc: or parts missing the value plummets, depending on severity (Blue book of airguns). For example, older BSA and Webley rifles and pistols are almost always overvalued, although largely plentiful, also pcp's needing repair spring to mind. It almost always costs a lot more, in parts, time and refinishing services, than it would be to buy a good example. Being a sceptic, I believe this is to catch out the unwary and airgun ignorant who then might become disillusioned with the sport. 'Let the buyer beware' doesn't cut it for me but 'let the seller be honest' does, especially with distance selling and not ftf.
    Also overpricing clutters up the threads and becomes tedious.
    I like Cornish Pasties.

Just because you put a certain value on something does not mean the next man gives it the same value,
    to someone with an income 10x yours an old item to restore as their hobby could be VFM at twice what you think.

Equally what you think correct value I might think "over priced junk"

I've seen a few things in sales recently at twice what I would consider their actual value.

Why on earth are you getting upset about it?

It's worth what someone will pay, you may not want or be able to pay for something, but someone else may, e-bay works on that very principle!

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Just because you put a certain value on something does not mean the next man gives it the same value,
    to someone with an income 10x yours an old item to restore as their hobby could be VFM at twice what you think.

Equally what you think correct value I might think "over priced junk"

I've seen a few things in sales recently at twice what I would consider their actual value.
    As above ... I agree. But then again I have seen some guns on offer at what I thought to be cheap ... mind you, if I saw them in the raw then I might reconsider my opinion.
    Cheers, Phil

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    What someone prices anything at is their business not yours...

You're alweays free to engage them in a private negotiation in which you can explain why you think something is over-priced and what your offer is.
    They are then free to accpet or reject your offer...

If they reject it and no-one buys at it, then inevitably it will come down to price that someone will pay.
    If you never see the item again, then either you were wrong and it was worth more than your personal valuation or they've decided to sit on their 'investment' and you still won't get your hands on it.

shauny is offline Has a taste for the French fancys
    Quote Originally Posted by Artfull-Bodger View Post
    Why on earth are you getting upset about it?

It's worth what someone will pay, you may not want or be able to pay for something, but someone else may, e-bay works on that very principle!
    its what he does,didnt you read his forum name

It's a bit like premier league footballers, if some fool is willing to pay them 100 grand a week then that becomes the going rate, regardless of opinion.

John
    Law of any kind only affects those willing to abide by it.

Any item is only worth what buyers are willing to pay for them but I understand your point very well. It may have something to do with the fascination of the British public with anything old or " antique ". To me these items are usually of no monetary value unless they have historical significance in which case they ought to be placed in the relevant museum. The rest is only of sentimental value and perhaps should be kept as heirloom.

A.G

how can a house be worth so much?
    how can certain vintage cars and motorcycles be worth so much?
    how can a bottle of wine be worth so much?

simple really,greed and market forces (much the same thing really).

I usually find that a price is made up of the actual value of the item - what the owner is willing to lose on it + what the owner would like to achieve over the actual value of the item + a wee bit more for haggling room. The displayed price is rarely what the seller is actually wanting for it. So if you feel offended by people who 'overprice' their piles of crap, maybe you should try improving your haggling skills
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by larrylamppost View Post
    how can a house be worth so much?
    how can certain vintage cars and motorcycles be worth so much?
    how can a bottle of wine be worth so much?

simple really,greed and market forces (much the same thing really).
    I don't understand why houses are so expensive, but having said that, no one would pay new price for an incomplete wrecker.
    As for cars and motorcycles, in the main, there are only a few left, and sometimes only one.
    Wine is the same, only a few or one left, just like paintings.
    The guns I refer to there are thousands, in fact I have a friend who has more than 50 old Webleys and Bsa's, mostly like new.
    As for broken guns, I quote pcp's, for instance leaking Daystates or Bsa Spitfires which cost a fortune to have repaired, including carriage, and that assumes no bluing, stock repairs or air tubes, due to corrosion, are required. That's why they are being hived off
    I like Cornish Pasties.

bsa spitfire

hi adie. did you manage to strip your spitfire and repair it. atb mick

Quote Originally Posted by mdunn View Post
    hi adie. did you manage to strip your spitfire and repair it. atb mick
    Hi Mick. I haven't plucked up the courage yet, but with all the other household sh1t that has gone wrong and had to be repaired, I haven,t had the time to take a good run at it, got the repair kit though.
    I like Cornish Pasties.

The forces of supply and demand are difficult to fathom sometimes. One mans rubbish is another mans treasure and all that. Many a time I have seen a totally average gun go for three or four times its estimate, just because two or three people wanted it, and just kept on bidding - none willing to call it a day. Once the red mist descends anything can happen. As for selling on here, I guess the first price is a bit like a 'retail' price in a shop. the seller is hoping to get that price on a good day, but probably figures that he might need to chip back on the price after a day or two.

If you think guns are expensive, see what collectors will pay for airgun ephemera, such as boxes, brochures, oil bottles, pellet tins, instruction leaflets etc etc. It will make your eye's water

Lakey

let me know how you get on with it. atb mick