Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cocking the HW40?

Cocking the HW40?

Has anyone ever made, or would it be possible to make some sort of cocking aid for this pistol?

Something that would wrap around the top lever and extend it?

Is it feasible?

I used to have an HW75 and it was a nice pistol, but very tiring to cock after a while.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

I found mine a bit of a pain to cock to Arthur , but found it much easier after fitting a Hawke 30mm red dot , its much easier on the hand pressing against the sight rather than the back end of the pistol and more accurate than the opens as I'm finding it a bit of a struggle focusing these days Atb Mike
    A few nice rifles

Thanks Mike.
    Arthur

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post
    Has anyone ever made, or would it be possible to make some sort of cocking aid for this pistol?

Something that would wrap around the top lever and extend it?

Is it feasible?

I used to have an HW75 and it was a nice pistol, but very tiring to cock after a while.
    The only problem I found, when it was new was that it made my hand a bit sore as the edges of the top rail are quite sharp when new. I did use a strip of the soft side of stick on Velcro where the web of the left hand presses down, but then removed the Velcro and used a nail file to flange (soften) off the edges a bit. This worked well and its more comfy now. I don't find it hard to close at all now. You just have to get used to the closing action. Im assuming its the closing of the barrel arm you're talking about, as the cocking takes place on opening the gun ready for loading and this is very easy to do. I have the HW75. Two Beeman P17s and the HW40 plus the Gamo AF10. Its become second nature to close all over time, and I don't even think about it now. ATB. Pete.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

The "cocking" effort is required on the closing stroke as this is when the air is compressed.

As mentioned a red dot provides an alternative grip, as opposed to providing more leverage. The review below shows a smaller red dot fitted.

I guess someone could devise a rearward extension attached to the dovetail, maybe in two parts, or folding. But it would look very awkward and probably risk exerting too much force on the rail resulting in damage (it's only designed for optics).

A somewhat easier pistol to cock is the FAS604/6004....but far more expensive.

http://my.tbaytel.net/coopers/HW40Review/review.html

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector 71 View Post
    The "cocking" effort is required on the closing stroke as this is when the air is compressed.
    The closing stroke compresses the air in the piston, but it's the lifting of the barrel arm that sets the trigger ready for firing which is what I think of as "cocking". ATB. Pete.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

If your hand is getting sore from cocking a hw over leaver, then it means your not shooting it enough, if you shoot it enough the skin that's rubbing on sharp bits will harden and you will naturally alter your grip when cockling to find the best position for your hand
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

It's not the pain to the hand that is the problem.

It's the lack of leverage that means you feel the pressure of the return stroke right up your arm and even into your back.

No, I am not particularly weak. It's a hard gun to pump air into.
    Arthur

hw40

Here's my method.Obtain a padded cycling mitt(Ald*)£3.99 pair.
    Hold the pistol against your lower chest and push using the padded
    mitt on the left hand(if you are right handed).
    The other classic that is a handful is the BSA Stutzen.
    atb Glyn

It's the lack of leverage that means you feel the pressure of the return stroke right up your arm and even into your back.

Sorry, I've got a hw45 and they cock on the up stroke where as all other hw pistols that are over leavers cock on the down stroke

If hitting it with a hammer won't solve the problem, then you need more tea and bacon sandwich's!
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill

Don't know what closing technique you use, but if you pull the barrel arm towards you pointing down range it is poor leverage. I open the arm then close by holding the gun parallel with the chest and pushing across, bringing the arms together like squeezing a squeeze box with the muzzle pointing down. This employes the chest and shoulder muscles giving to my mind better leverage. Is it possible to check your 40 against another to see if yours is tougher for some reason? Sorry if I'm suggesting things you already know by the way, but it shouldn't be that difficult to enjoy your HW 40. I am 65 and don't find it that hard to close. Good luck. ATB. Pete.

This type of gun can be hard to cock and can also result in safety problems if it is pointed to the sides when cocking instead of down-range. If possible, place the butt on a table or bench in front of you and push the slide down using the table to take the strain. Keep the pistol pointing down-range at all times. As someone said above, a cycling or weightlifting glove protects the hand against sharp edges. A strongly fitted red-dot or small scope also makes this style of gun easier to cock.

Quote Originally Posted by Powderfinger View Post
    This type of gun can be hard to cock and can also result in safety problems if it is pointed to the sides when cocking instead of down-range.
    Then why don't you turn side on to the target so as your cocking the pistol it's still facing down range?
    Yes it would mean that you have to move your feet a few inches after every shot, (but moving your feet will help prevent deep vain thrombosis)

Quote Originally Posted by Powderfinger View Post
    This type of gun can be hard to cock and can also result in safety problems if it is pointed to the sides when cocking instead of down-range. If possible, place the butt on a table or bench in front of you and push the slide down using the table to take the strain. Keep the pistol pointing down-range at all times. As someone said above, a cycling or weightlifting glove protects the hand against sharp edges. A strongly fitted red-dot or small scope also makes this style of gun easier to cock.
    If this is a reference to my advice. I said "muzzle pointing down" not to the side! I said "parallel to the chest" again meaning down. As Airgunnut rightly says, you can also, if necessary turn sideways so as to keep it "pointing in a safe direction" ATB. Pete. PS. If not a reference to my post, please ignore this. lol.