Thread: Cocking the HW40?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Powderfinger View Post
    This type of gun can be hard to cock and can also result in safety problems if it is pointed to the sides when cocking instead of down-range. If possible, place the butt on a table or bench in front of you and push the slide down using the table to take the strain. Keep the pistol pointing down-range at all times. As someone said above, a cycling or weightlifting glove protects the hand against sharp edges. A strongly fitted red-dot or small scope also makes this style of gun easier to cock.
    If this is a reference to my advice. I said "muzzle pointing down" not to the side! I said "parallel to the chest" again meaning down. As Airgunnut rightly says, you can also, if necessary turn sideways so as to keep it "pointing in a safe direction" ATB. Pete. PS. If not a reference to my post, please ignore this. lol.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Quote Originally Posted by peteswright View Post
    If this is a reference to my advice. I said "muzzle pointing down" not to the side! I said "parallel to the chest" again meaning down. As Airgunnut rightly says, you can also, if necessary turn sideways so as to keep it "pointing in a safe direction" ATB. Pete. PS. If not a reference to my post, please ignore this. lol.
    No worries, Pete, I wasn't referring to your method. I can see that you meant to point the gun down and that gives better leverage. Your method seems like a good one to follow if there isn't a table to press the butt down on. Airgunnut is right to say turning sideways is also a good way to keep the muzzle pointing downrange when cocking.

Quote Originally Posted by Powderfinger View Post
    No worries, Pete, I wasn't referring to your method. I can see that you meant to point the gun down and that gives better leverage. Your method seems like a good one to follow if there isn't a table to press the butt down on. Airgunnut is right to say turning sideways is also a good way to keep the muzzle pointing downrange when cocking.
    Thanks for that Powderfinger. We are all just trying to help each other out and I didn't want there to be any confusion over the way my post was interpreted. All clear now. ATB. Pete.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.