Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving to Scotland ... What to do about airguns

Moving to Scotland ... What to do about airguns

So, I've just accepted a job north of the border, and will likely have shifted the homestead up there by Christmas. What's the deal now with the licensing/registration/whatever of airguns up there?

Are the processes in place yet? Or are they coming in (and anyone know when)?

Alternatively, if I have to sell-up, do I sell as a job-lot, or try to move on half-a-dozen guns, and all the ancillaries (position of last resort :-/
    If I say something inaccurate, assume it's for comedy effect

http://basc.org.uk/basc-scotland/air...ked-questions/

Tells you what you need to know..
    Reading this i think that a lot more fire arms certs will be getting applied for, counter productive really should just be a registering process for air guns..

Gun licence looming, midges .... Stay here mate

Quote Originally Posted by buttloaves View Post
    http://basc.org.uk/basc-scotland/air...ked-questions/

Tells you what you need to know..
    Reading this i think that a lot more fire arms certs will be getting applied for, counter productive really should just be a registering process for air guns..
    Hrm... I don't want an FAC. I just want to be able to keep my guns and keep plugging the rats in the chicken run.

That seems to count as a reason to have air guns (why do they keep calling them weapons...) but what a palaver

So the upshot is I can take them with me when I move, but would have to get licensed tout suite (at around £100-ish).
    If I say something inaccurate, assume it's for comedy effect

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post
    Gun licence looming, midges .... Stay here mate
    Argh! That high pitched whining goes right through you and sets your teeth on edge!

Then there's the midges...
    God rest ye jelly mental men

For what it's worth, my view is that most people will not be able to meet the criteria to be issued with a license.

If I were you I would sell up before I go or have someone in England look after them for you until the position becomes clear.

It's going to depend very much on where you'll be living. If you'll have a large garden then pest control could be considered a good enough reason to own an air gun. How ever a small garden in a built up area may be difficult. In which case your best option is to join a club. When accepted as a full member you would have good reason to own an air gun. I believe you have free grace until April next year so you have plenty of time to get established.

Any one of sound mind with a genuine reason to own an air gun has nothing to fear.
    S&W M&P 1522 - Anschutz 1416 - Anschutz 1761 - Beretta Silver Pidgeon III - FWB800 - FX DRS - HW110K - HW100 - Steyr Pro-X - Steyr LG1 - Walther LGM-2

It's going to depend very much on where you'll be living. If you'll have a large garden then pest control could be considered a good enough reason to own an air gun. How ever a small garden in a built up area may be difficult. In which case your best option is to join a club. When accepted as a full member you would have good reason to own an air gun. I believe you have free grace until April next year so you have plenty of time to get established.

Any one of sound mind with a genuine reason to own an air gun has nothing to fear.
    S&W M&P 1522 - Anschutz 1416 - Anschutz 1761 - Beretta Silver Pidgeon III - FWB800 - FX DRS - HW110K - HW100 - Steyr Pro-X - Steyr LG1 - Walther LGM-2

Quote Originally Posted by Deltawing View Post

I think that's a reasonable summing up - sport, vermin control, or collector are valid reasons. Law expected to come into effect next April but how the hell the police are going to find the time to manage it, and the details of any transition period, are anybody's guess. Join a club, we don't bite
    Don't just do something - SIT THERE!

Really?

I've just recently started in the hobby and this is news to me. Another liberty taken. You can't do anything with an airgun as it is without this nonesense. This will really stop the crazies right enuf.
    This so needs to be stopped. Try looking for an airgun club in Edinburgh that is taking new members. Funny how my or my peers opinion has never been sought when these new laws and legislations are created.
    Where do i sign...

Yes really. What problems did you envision having?

Yes really. What problems did you envision having?
    Well, as a law abiding citizen not being able to own an airgun "without their good reason" for a start, for use in my garden or even my own house while the bams will all be keeping theirs.

I really don't want to go through all the hassle of asking permission and explaining myself to the Chief Constable every five years for owning simple airguns under 6/12 ft/lbs. You will also be required to allow the Police access to your GP. Life changes - what if you don't meet their requirements for a period? Get rid of all your hard earned gear?

There are thousands who will not be able to give a good enough reason for owning them. Fair enough I can see a point about use in some gardens where the gentle types cower in fear until you go back inside but jeez! Beam me up now please!

What are they going to do, go around everyone on the registers and search their premesis if they haven't applied for the new license?
    There are many who simply can not get permissions or even be able to get into the new "approved clubs" - currently, of which there are "no approved air weapon clubs in Scotland" apparently.

Another money making squeeze on decent people who try to keep within the law again, some of which will be criminalised and "face imprisonment for up to two years, or a fine, or both". "If an air weapon licence application is refused the applicant would not be returned the fee paid". Nice one.

I honestly cannot see the point of this just being rolled out in Scotland, is the rest of the UK to become the same eventually?

Good forum by the way, thanks.

This exact same question was asked in an article in last months Air Gun Shooter. Amazing how at one stroke thousands of innocent law abiding citizens of today become potential criminals of tomorrow by an unnecessary change in an already confused law. If the reason for licensing requirement was to " collect " data on possession and identity I would have understood it and probably would have backed it but if these sort of laws are a back door mechanism to gradually restrict ownership then I am not for it. My problem with the whole thing is the Phrase " Good Reason to Own " which makes the interpretation of the reason subjective. Recently in my local shooting club I overheard a discussion between a few of the Range Officers about the necessity for every FAC holder in the Manchester area to get a personal visit from the Greater Manchester Police. According to one of the guys, there are apparently over 7000 FAC holders in Manchester alone. How on earth an already stretched to the point of collapse police force is going to fit this in to their already busy schedule I don't know. I really do not envy their job.

A.G