Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finally..

Finally..

..saved up enough pocket money to buy some powder and primers this weekend. What's generally recommended for a 223 using 40 - 52 grain bullets?

.22LR CZ452; .22 Hornet CZ527
    Tikka T3 Varmint .223; .204 Ruger CZ527 Varmint;
    6.5 Creed Bergara B14 HMR

I'd stick with Vihtavouri for reliability of supply:

http://www.vihtavuori.com/en/reloadi...remington.html

I use federal primers out of habit for my .308 and whatever primers are the cheapest/available for my .44/.44-40. Had CCI, remington and now got some winchesters in stock. Yet to notice a difference and note Viht don't specify a brand, just small rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Elliott View Post
    ..saved up enough pocket money to buy some powder and primers this weekend. What's generally recommended for a 223 using 40 - 52 grain bullets?
    Ramshot exterminator or Tac, if you get it locally the latter was what I was loading over a fed 205 primer and under the 52 gr a-max and getting very tight groups. Exterminator would possibly be better for the lighter bullets which is exactly the load I'll be testing next exterminator under SBK 40 grainers.

It meters really well too which will save you time at the loading bench and comes in lb tubs so smaller outlay, cheaper than Viht powders too. Shame you're so far as I could let you have some of each to try!

If you can't get ramshot powders then I agree go Viht, if you develop a load with an American powder you may find that you can't get it and have to start over. N140 is working well in my .223 under 69 grain ripped match kings, guessing you'd want N130 or N133.

Keep an eye on the reloading sales on SD as powder comes up cheap, I got 1.5 tubs of exterminator for £20 a while back!
    Thanks for looking

N133 would be a little slow for that bullet range, so N130 could be ideal. I have some but have yet to try it. It's a powder that seems to little mentioned or used. N120 is faster and seems more popular so that might be better esp wih the lighter bullets.
    Are Ramshot powders really as cheap as Vit? Last time I bought N133 it was under £70/kg, and bulk buy of N140 was under £55/kg.

Quote Originally Posted by Guesty View Post
    N133 would be a little slow for that bullet range, so N130 could be ideal. I have some but have yet to try it. It's a powder that seems to little mentioned or used. N120 is faster and seems more popular so that might be better esp wih the lighter bullets.
    Are Ramshot powders really as cheap as Vit? Last time I bought N133 it was under £70/kg, and bulk buy of N140 was under £55/kg.
    As above, N130 is my powder of choice but N133 works equally well. The issue I have isn't getting the powder, but the 40 grain Noslers. My bullet of choice, but times of short supply ended up buying 50's. Once I've shot these it'll be 40's for me once more.

I've 7 tubs of Xterminator left over from my friend who passed away last year, I find the powders a little too fine and gets everywhere when using the RCBS Chargemaster. Probably more suited to the Targetmaster.

Quote Originally Posted by SandyB View Post
    As above, N130 is my powder of choice but N133 works equally well. The issue I have isn't getting the powder, but the 40 grain Noslers. My bullet of choice, but times of short supply ended up buying 50's. Once I've shot these it'll be 40's for me once more.

I've 7 tubs of Xterminator left over from my friend who passed away last year, I find the powders a little too fine and gets everywhere when using the RCBS Chargemaster. Probably more suited to the Targetmaster.
    I have got cartloads of 40gn Nosler BTs, and some 40gn Nosler Varmageddon if you ever fancy swapping? I have decided that I'm going to stick to bullets in the 50 to 55gn range.

I have got cartloads of 40gn Nosler BTs, and some 40gn Nosler Varmageddon if you ever fancy swapping? I have decided that I'm going to stick to bullets in the 50 to 55gn range.
    If they're varmageddon BTs I'll buy some off you mate, wanted to try them but can never get any. You coming to the September shoot?
    Thanks for looking

Quote Originally Posted by Boydy47 View Post
    If they're varmageddon BTs I'll buy some off you mate, wanted to try them but can never get any. You coming to the September shoot?
    They sure are, so they are yours if you want. If I remember correctly, I've tried about 20 out of a box of 100. Always happy to swap to something similar in the 50 to 55gn range.
    BTW, I've still got those molyed 36gn Varmint Grenades if you want them?

Feeling nervous!

Thanks for the replies, I ended up with Vhit 133 and CCI primers as recommended by my local shop.

I've just finished loading up x20 52 Grain A-Max (thanks Boydy), hopefully things will be ok. Must admit, I'm a bit nervous!

- Once fired Winchester brass, FL sized, sonic cleaned, neck trimmed, deburred and primer pockets cleaned
    - Added CCI Primers using Hornady hand priming tool
    - Batched cases into four lots of 5 and varied the powder charge (x5 20.6gn) (x5 21.0gn) (x5 21.4gn) (x5 22.0gn)
    - Seated 52 Grain A-Max just a tad under recommended C.O.L

It's all a learning curve for me at this stage. Fingers crossed (lets hope I have some left after tomorrow!)

Thumbs up

Thanks for the replies, I ended up with Vhit 133 and CCI primers as recommended by my local shop.

I've just finished loading up x20 52 Grain A-Max (thanks Boydy), hopefully things will be ok. Must admit, I'm a bit nervous!

- Once fired Winchester brass, FL sized, sonic cleaned, neck trimmed, deburred and primer pockets cleaned
    - Batched cases into four lots of 5 and varied the powder charge (x5 20.6gn) (x5 21.0gn) (x5 21.4gn) (x5 22.0gn)

It's all a learning curve for me at this stage. Fingers crossed (lets hope I have some left after tomorrow!)
    If possible, do chrono your results to give you an idea of performance.
    FYI, with the 52gn Amax I use 24.5gn N133 in neck sized Lapua brass giving ~3250fps from a 20" barrel.
    Good luck!

If possible, do chrono your results to give you an idea of performance.
    FYI, with the 52gn Amax I use 24.5gn N133 in neck sized Lapua brass giving ~3250fps from a 20" barrel.
    Good luck!
    Flippin' heck that's a fair bit more powder than mine!

Sounds like you're doing everything right to me mate (in my limited experience) though loads may be a tad low looking at Viht's data? When shoot your groups to test the loads do it in a round robin style, 4 targets 1st shot, 1st weight, 1st target, 2nd, 2nd and second, after the fourth round go back to the first weight. That way the barrel fouling and and temperature are even through the groups, rather than a clean barrel for the first group compared to a final group shot with a fouled barrel.

No worries on the bullets mate, may have some win brass going spare when I get through the factory ammo that came with the .223
    Thanks for looking

Yup, it's a more or less full case with the bullet seated to give 2.295" OAL.
    It's still quite a modest load with no pressure signs. Just over 25gn can be squeezed in with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Boydy47 View Post
    Sounds like you're doing everything right to me mate (in my limited experience) though loads may be a tad low looking at Viht's data? When shoot your groups to test the loads do it in a round robin style, 4 targets 1st shot, 1st weight, 1st target, 2nd, 2nd and second, after the fourth round go back to the first weight. That way the barrel fouling and and temperature are even through the groups, rather than a clean barrel for the first group compared to a final group shot with a fouled barrel.

No worries on the bullets mate, may have some win brass going spare when I get through the factory ammo that came with the .223
    Yup, it's a more or less full case with the bullet seated to give 2.295" OAL.
    It's still quite a modest load with no pressure signs. Just over 25gn can be squeezed in with no problems.
    Yeah, maybe I should've gone up a couple of grains.

I'll give your method on the target a try Boydy, it does make sense

Maybe making up a few extra rounds to foul the barrel before testing.