Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Finally..

Elliott - what Boydy47 is describing on the 4 target shooting method is what is known as the OCW Method which I use for all the rifles I am asked to develop loads for only I use 6 weights and targets, but only make up the rounds in batches of 4, basically you are using 6 different weights (or in your case 4) with all the bullets seated at the same length - then and only then when you have decided on a weight do you play around with seating depth See:

http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspa...ons/4529817134

On the 223's I have developed loads for they have all been for the 50gr Vmax using N133 and the end result has usually been on or around 25 gr of powder. If you have a look at the Viht website for your bullet weight they give a guide of around 22.5 to 25 gr.

http://www.vihtavuori.com/en/reloadi...remington.html

I am no bullet speed freak - accuracy is the most important criteria but I would suggest you consider a starting weight of 23gr then move up in .4gr increments keeping an eye on your primers and any difficult bolt lift. Also, not wishing to make you into an anorak but to really get the best out of your experiments and bearing in mind you are using a small case, I would suggest that you consider weighing your empty cases and batch them so they all weigh about the same - it just puts your development attempts more on a level playing field.

I did try and add some pics of 223 targets I did showing sub .2" groups but alas I am unable to do so.

Peter

Thanks for that Peter, I'll give weighing the brass a go and yes it looks like I'm a bit light on the powder front.

Here's the grouping from today. 21.4gn looks about the best. I'll do the next batch from there up to 25gn

http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/a...psfe971350.jpg

Not amazing results but I certainly feel a sense of achievement

.22LR CZ452; .22 Hornet CZ527
    Tikka T3 Varmint .223; .204 Ruger CZ527 Varmint;
    6.5 Creed Bergara B14 HMR

Quote Originally Posted by Elliott View Post
    Thanks for that Peter, I'll give weighing the brass a go and yes it looks like I'm a bit light on the powder front.

Here's the grouping from today. 21.4gn looks about the best. I'll do the next batch from there up to 25gn

http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/a...psfe971350.jpg

Not amazing results but I certainly feel a sense of achievement
    Looking good buddy, I bet it will tighten up as you go up a bit in charge.

If you want to be a real anorak you need to fill your cases with water and compare the capacity that way to batch them, it's the capacity that makes a difference to your pressure and therefore your group. Weighing is an indication but the extra brass could be in the head rather than the walls.

In all honesty though, you're not a target shooter trying to push the cartridge to it s limit, if you can tune your load to 1/2 - 1 moa then it's going to do everything you need it to so batching brass may be more than you need to do. I found using rem brass batched to within .3 gr and unweighed made bugger all difference to my Amax groups.

Good luck mate, chasing the tightest group you can out of your setup is horribly addictive!
    Thanks for looking

Yeah, getting there. Enjoying it too! Adds another dimension to the hobby

Nosler 40gn BT

Here's the results from today with the Nosler bullets. Think I'll go up in powder weight and experiment with seating depth next:
    http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps7fb23090.jpg

Try loading them to the correct COL, and up the powder. Im using 25.6gr of Varget behind a 52gr Amax for 3390, I do all you've done plus deburring the flashhole and trimming to length.
    Work them hard, treat them like heros.

Here's the results from today with the Nosler bullets. Think I'll go up in powder weight and experiment with seating depth next:
    http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps7fb23090.jpg
    The below is what I managed to achieve with my 1 in 8 Tikka T3 super varmint with 20" barrel shooting prone at 100 yards, the loads were set to standard SAMMI length and have been easy to repeat in terms of batch loading. That was until the supply ran out, but was able to establish similar groups with 60 grain BT's & HP's also

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...o/IMG_0569.jpg

Not stupidly fast but went for accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bomag View Post
    Try loading them to the correct COL, and up the powder. Im using 25.6gr of Varget behind a 52gr Amax for 3390, I do all you've done plus deburring the flashhole and trimming to length.
    Quote Originally Posted by SandyB View Post
    The below is what I managed to achieve with my 1 in 8 Tikka T3 super varmint with 20" barrel shooting prone at 100 yards, the loads were set to standard SAMMI length and have been easy to repeat in terms of batch loading. That was until the supply ran out, but was able to establish similar groups with 60 grain BT's & HP's also

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...o/IMG_0569.jpg

Not stupidly fast but went for accuracy.
    Yeah, the next batch will be at 25gn. Sandy what did you class as SAMMI length with the 40gn Nosler's, can you remember?

It gives you SAAMI in the reloading manuals, cant remember what it is.
    Work them hard, treat them like heros.

Yeah, the next batch will be at 25gn. Sandy what did you class as SAMMI length with the 40gn Nosler's, can you remember?
    Getting there mate, keep climbing The weight and watching for pressure signs.

SAAMI length is a standard for the cartridge mate, irrespective of bullet, it 2.260" for .223
    Thanks for looking

Quote Originally Posted by Boydy47 View Post
    Getting there mate, keep climbing The weight and watching for pressure signs.

SAAMI length is a standard for the cartridge mate, irrespective of bullet, it 2.260" for .223
    Thanks for that Boydy

Loaded another 20 up tonight to try out.

Did a mix of 52gn Amax, 40gn Nosler. I increased the loads of both rounds and loaded to recommend OAL.

I also loaded some 52gn Sierra Blitzking which I loaded mildly and seated the OAL recommend by Viht which was 2.244"

I'll try and find some time this week to test them out

Thanks for that Boydy

Loaded another 20 up tonight to try out.

Did a mix of 52gn Amax, 40gn Nosler. I increased the loads of both rounds and loaded to recommend OAL.

I also loaded some 52gn Sierra Blitzking which I loaded mildly and seated the OAL recommend by Viht which was 2.244"

I'll try and find some time this week to test them out
    Sounds good, I'm off out tonight to test some 40gr blitzkings in mine and the same in the hornet, would post photos of the results but haven't got a clue on photobucket etc
    Thanks for looking

Quote Originally Posted by Boydy47 View Post
    Sounds good, I'm off out tonight to test some 40gr blitzkings in mine and the same in the hornet, would post photos of the results but haven't got a clue on photobucket etc
    send them to me and I'll post em for you
    You Cannot Reason People Out of Something They Were Not Reasoned Into
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby

Going by the Hornady book, I based this on 2.260" COL

The top box is my .223 and the lower ones being my .204. I have quite a few boxes all labelled up as well as the paper record targets, so the reloading development and magical combinations aren't forgotten and fully repeatable.

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps27zrpwup.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    send them to me and I'll post em for you
    Will do.

Didn't test any in the end last night other than the adjustments for the 69gr TMK / SMK loads ready for the mqueens ;-)
    Thanks for looking