Thread: Finally..

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Finally..

..saved up enough pocket money to buy some powder and primers this weekend. What's generally recommended for a 223 using 40 - 52 grain bullets?

.22LR CZ452; .22 Hornet CZ527
    Tikka T3 Varmint .223; .204 Ruger CZ527 Varmint;
    6.5 Creed Bergara B14 HMR

I'd stick with Vihtavouri for reliability of supply:

http://www.vihtavuori.com/en/reloadi...remington.html

I use federal primers out of habit for my .308 and whatever primers are the cheapest/available for my .44/.44-40. Had CCI, remington and now got some winchesters in stock. Yet to notice a difference and note Viht don't specify a brand, just small rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Elliott View Post
    ..saved up enough pocket money to buy some powder and primers this weekend. What's generally recommended for a 223 using 40 - 52 grain bullets?
    Ramshot exterminator or Tac, if you get it locally the latter was what I was loading over a fed 205 primer and under the 52 gr a-max and getting very tight groups. Exterminator would possibly be better for the lighter bullets which is exactly the load I'll be testing next exterminator under SBK 40 grainers.

It meters really well too which will save you time at the loading bench and comes in lb tubs so smaller outlay, cheaper than Viht powders too. Shame you're so far as I could let you have some of each to try!

If you can't get ramshot powders then I agree go Viht, if you develop a load with an American powder you may find that you can't get it and have to start over. N140 is working well in my .223 under 69 grain ripped match kings, guessing you'd want N130 or N133.

Keep an eye on the reloading sales on SD as powder comes up cheap, I got 1.5 tubs of exterminator for £20 a while back!
    Thanks for looking

N133 would be a little slow for that bullet range, so N130 could be ideal. I have some but have yet to try it. It's a powder that seems to little mentioned or used. N120 is faster and seems more popular so that might be better esp wih the lighter bullets.
    Are Ramshot powders really as cheap as Vit? Last time I bought N133 it was under £70/kg, and bulk buy of N140 was under £55/kg.

Quote Originally Posted by Guesty View Post
    N133 would be a little slow for that bullet range, so N130 could be ideal. I have some but have yet to try it. It's a powder that seems to little mentioned or used. N120 is faster and seems more popular so that might be better esp wih the lighter bullets.
    Are Ramshot powders really as cheap as Vit? Last time I bought N133 it was under £70/kg, and bulk buy of N140 was under £55/kg.
    As above, N130 is my powder of choice but N133 works equally well. The issue I have isn't getting the powder, but the 40 grain Noslers. My bullet of choice, but times of short supply ended up buying 50's. Once I've shot these it'll be 40's for me once more.

I've 7 tubs of Xterminator left over from my friend who passed away last year, I find the powders a little too fine and gets everywhere when using the RCBS Chargemaster. Probably more suited to the Targetmaster.

Quote Originally Posted by SandyB View Post
    As above, N130 is my powder of choice but N133 works equally well. The issue I have isn't getting the powder, but the 40 grain Noslers. My bullet of choice, but times of short supply ended up buying 50's. Once I've shot these it'll be 40's for me once more.

I've 7 tubs of Xterminator left over from my friend who passed away last year, I find the powders a little too fine and gets everywhere when using the RCBS Chargemaster. Probably more suited to the Targetmaster.
    I have got cartloads of 40gn Nosler BTs, and some 40gn Nosler Varmageddon if you ever fancy swapping? I have decided that I'm going to stick to bullets in the 50 to 55gn range.

Quote Originally Posted by Guesty View Post
    I have got cartloads of 40gn Nosler BTs, and some 40gn Nosler Varmageddon if you ever fancy swapping? I have decided that I'm going to stick to bullets in the 50 to 55gn range.
    If they're varmageddon BTs I'll buy some off you mate, wanted to try them but can never get any. You coming to the September shoot?
    Thanks for looking