Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: honeycomb lens cover

honeycomb lens cover

Hi everyone,

Has anyone got one of these covers on their scope? I'm thinking about getting one for mine and just wondered if you think they're any good? Do they restrict the view at all?

Thanks

I used one on my Leopold and have to say drastically reduced the quality. As I don't hunt anymore I don't use it, but as the rabbits were not shooting back at me I generally didn't bother with it.
    Steyr Challenge HFT - HW97K - BSA Mercury Challenger - Anschutz 9015 One - AA Pro Target - AA Pro Elite - ASI Paratrooper (R) - Walther LP500

Quote Originally Posted by howlie3107 View Post
    Hi everyone,

Has anyone got one of these covers on their scope? I'm thinking about getting one for mine and just wondered if you think they're any good? Do they restrict the view at all?

Thanks
    I have one for my Hawke Panorama EV 4~12 50 fixed parallax. I bought it thinking that it would be good as it will not extend the length of the scope and covers the front element. Not much use for me as I don't hunt. I found that it softened the image by quite a margin and degraded the colour saturation of the scope. These are not super critical shortcomings but if you are fussy regarding contrast and colour saturation then this sunshade will disappoint.

A.G

This strikes me as pretty much unessential kit to be frank.
    As I understand it....the principle purpose is to prevent a marksmans position being given away from reflection of sunlight off the front lens.
    It may have an affect of deepening depth of field but I cant see it enhancing image quality or extending range or improving dawn to dusk capability....etc.
    There are also Iris style covers that operate like the fstops of a camera. Again...there is a price to pay. So why pay a price if the price doesnt give you some sort of an advantage?
    I wont be buying one anytime soon
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

The principle use of a sunshade on an airgun scope is to stop bright sunlight entering the front lens and giving an unclear or whited out image.
    As such, a conventional tunnel type sunshade is perfectly adequate.
    The honeycomb type sunshades reduce the image quality along with light access and, as such, are much more of a compromise.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Steyr View Post
    This strikes me as pretty much unessential kit to be frank.
    As I understand it....the principle purpose is to prevent a marksmans position being given away from reflection of sunlight off the front lens.
    I know the bunnies don't shoot back but you've pretty much disproved your own argument in that first sentence.

Chris

xbow is offline "Right a bit, left a bit............"
    I always thought they were designed for snipers in the field for the reasons given. If it degrades the image that much though I doubt they use them do they? They look pretty neat though if you want to pose ...
    We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals.
    Rudeness is the weak mans imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer.

If I don’t reply to your comments it’s probably because you’re on my Ignore list.

Quote Originally Posted by xbow View Post
    I always thought they were designed for snipers in the field for the reasons given. If it degrades the image that much though I doubt they use them do they? They look pretty neat though if you want to pose ...
    They were, but if quarry can see where you are they won't present themselves, so, although it's not life threatening, it's the same principle isn't it?

Chris

As I said earlier, the bunnies weren't shooting back so I found just keeping the sunshade on worked fine for reducing any glare off the front lens.
    If I didn't have a shade and really didn't want to be spotted by light off the lens id use it.
    Steyr Challenge HFT - HW97K - BSA Mercury Challenger - Anschutz 9015 One - AA Pro Target - AA Pro Elite - ASI Paratrooper (R) - Walther LP500

Thanks for the advice, might leave it for now or see if i can try one out. I've got a panorama ao and the flip up lens covers are just a bit awkward and in the way when trying to adjust it.

I got one for my panorama 3-9x50 ao ir very disappointed,l hunt rabbits and found the same as above.
    So is now sitting in its box.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    yeah, they just make everything dark, never used mine.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster View Post
    I know the bunnies don't shoot back but you've pretty much disproved your own argument in that first sentence.

Chris
    What ?

Quote Originally Posted by howlie3107 View Post
    Thanks for the advice, might leave it for now or see if i can try one out. I've got a panorama ao and the flip up lens covers are just a bit awkward and in the way when trying to adjust it.
    look into iris styles. may help with depth of field.....but honeycomb other than for sniper applications is pretty much a waste of time

Quote Originally Posted by Steyr View Post
    What ?
    I just meant that you stated sunshades were a waste of time then stated that they were only of use to people who don't want their positions to be revealed which negated the first part of your post because that's exactly what hunters need.
    I use the tunnel type sunshades to keep the sight picture clear when the sun is in front of my position.
    Don't get your knickers in a twist, it was just an observation.

Chris