Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What springer should I be looking at?

Question What springer should I be looking at?

Hi guys,

I need some help! I'm a huge PCP fan and have always used precharged rifles since I got my first PCP - a Falcon FN19TW - about 15 years ago when I was 20.

I've always owned two rifles - it's nice to have a back up just incase!

I currently own and shoot a BSA R10 MKII in .22 cal and it's just stunning. It's by far the best rifle I've ever had. It's also my only rifle at the minute. I haven't thought about a second rifle as I've been having way too much fun with the R10!

Down to business: I had a slight issue with an empty diver's bottle and due to my car not being available and my local gun shop having no air for their PCP charging service either (my nearest dive shop is about 20 miles away now my local dive shop has closed down) I was without a gun for a few days. It meant that I had no rifle for a whole week in prime time Rabbit season and I was doing my nut! Climbing the walls! I suddenly realised that I really must have a second rifle.

I'd originally planned to get another PCP as my second rifle but after this whole 'lack of air' debacle I have thought that I'd be better off having a self contained rifle (springer/gas ram etc) as opposed to another PCP.

I went to my local gunshop today to have a look as they always have a good selection of rifles to have a look at. I had a look at the HW97K and the TX200. Both felt very similar and I was pleased to see the cheap price of these top range springers. I must admit to being a bit surprised by the harsh recoil of these springers, the 97k in particular. I understand that they were both brand new rifles and will settle down in time. The guy who I was chatting to in the shop owned a 97K and was singing it's praises.

I'm going to Weston Park Gamefair in a few weeks and intend to have a proper look around when I'm there. I'm hoping to find a run-in second hand rifle/scope combo, ideally one that's been tuned.

My budget is about £400-£500 for a new purchase. If I must I'll just buy a new rifle from my local shop and get her tuned myself.

Can any of you guys tell me if I'm making the right choice in looking at the 97k? Are they as good as everyone says?

What other rifles should I be considering? I'm a hunter only but do enjoy the odd visit to the range! My R10 is .22 cal so I'd like a .177 ideally. Will there be any noticeable difference in the lively recoil between the two calibres?

So, with my price bracket in mind, what else should I be considering? What's good? If I were to buy a new 97K will the recoil soften up as the rifle is run-in and what options are open to me when it comes to getting the rifle tuned up and what do they cost (approx.).

Thanks folks - thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Ben
    >Weihrauch HW100TK .177 c/w Hawke SF Varmint 3-12x44 Scope
    >Weihrauch HW97k .177 c/w Hawke Vantage 3-9x50 IR Scope

NewPaul is offline Jack Hargreaves lookalike --- How
    HW77k - what else ???
    HW77K .22, HW100KT .22, HW95K .22. AA TX200 MK3 .22. AA S410 MK3 .177. HW80 .25 HW30S .22. Pistols: Walther CP88 .177, Hatsan Mod25 Supercharger .22, HW45 Silver Star .177, Webley Alecto .177, SMK Victory CP2 .22

Walther LGV or LGU
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Wrong! Wrong! Wrong!

Pcp's are best in .177 and springers in .22!

If you want it for hunting you need to be aware that underlevers are unnecessarily heavy, cumbersome and slow to load. A break barrel is much easier from that perspective!

Whatever you go for just make sure it's a nice fit for you. Your budget means you could get a decent gun, tune it and get a custom stock if you wish.

Get thee to a gun shop and try some on!
    God rest ye jelly mental men

I had a HW97k in the synthetic stock, in .177. I was very impressed with the overall feel and accuracy, minimal twang and not a great amount of recoil. I bought it as a combo (silencer, 4-12x50 scope) and it was unused by previous owner. Shouldn't have sold it but that's me use for a while then pass it on!
    In the looks dept I think the TX200HC in walnut takes some beating, the one I had however seemed a bit harsh in .177.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinksy View Post
    Hi guys,

I need some help! I'm a huge PCP fan and have always used precharged rifles since I got my first PCP - a Falcon FN19TW - about 15 years ago when I was 20.

I've always owned two rifles - it's nice to have a back up just incase!

I currently own and shoot a BSA R10 MKII in .22 cal and it's just stunning. It's by far the best rifle I've ever had. It's also my only rifle at the minute. I haven't thought about a second rifle as I've been having way too much fun with the R10!

Down to business: I had a slight issue with an empty diver's bottle and due to my car not being available and my local gun shop having no air for their PCP charging service either (my nearest dive shop is about 20 miles away now my local dive shop has closed down) I was without a gun for a few days. It meant that I had no rifle for a whole week in prime time Rabbit season and I was doing my nut! Climbing the walls! I suddenly realised that I really must have a second rifle.

I'd originally planned to get another PCP as my second rifle but after this whole 'lack of air' debacle I have thought that I'd be better off having a self contained rifle (springer/gas ram etc) as opposed to another PCP.

I went to my local gunshop today to have a look as they always have a good selection of rifles to have a look at. I had a look at the HW97K and the TX200. Both felt very similar and I was pleased to see the cheap price of these top range springers. I must admit to being a bit surprised by the harsh recoil of these springers, the 97k in particular. I understand that they were both brand new rifles and will settle down in time. The guy who I was chatting to in the shop owned a 97K and was singing it's praises.

I'm going to Weston Park Gamefair in a few weeks and intend to have a proper look around when I'm there. I'm hoping to find a run-in second hand rifle/scope combo, ideally one that's been tuned.

My budget is about £400-£500 for a new purchase. If I must I'll just buy a new rifle from my local shop and get her tuned myself.

Can any of you guys tell me if I'm making the right choice in looking at the 97k? Are they as good as everyone says?

What other rifles should I be considering? I'm a hunter only but do enjoy the odd visit to the range! My R10 is .22 cal so I'd like a .177 ideally. Will there be any noticeable difference in the lively recoil between the two calibres?

So, with my price bracket in mind, what else should I be considering? What's good? If I were to buy a new 97K will the recoil soften up as the rifle is run-in and what options are open to me when it comes to getting the rifle tuned up and what do they cost (approx.).

Thanks folks - thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Ben

Well Ben

If you really want to try a few rifles come to my place next weekend, you're only just up the road. :-

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....ayment-Details

All the best Mick

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    TX in walnut

Seriously mate you will never regret it, if I had bought this first I would not have purchased any other Springers.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

Captain Bongo is offline I'm not falling for this again........
    Get to Micks place next weekend. There will be bog standard out of the box guns along with very highly tuned examples of just about every spring gun available and every single one will be available for testing by an enthusiastic owner.

I'll be sat on my own at the end of the bench with my Turkish Webley Xocet.....

You mentioned the HW97 a lot there so sounds like your looking to be assured about it. The HW 97 is probably the best springer I've fired since one of the early HW80. There are a number of good springer out there so give some a try. I believe you'll shoot better with what feels the most comfortable to you personally and not what others recommend. But yes if the 97 is a positive hold you won't be disappointed.

On a side note with your PCP a stirrup pump might be a solution, if you don't mind a bit of graft using it.
    S&W M&P 1522 - Anschutz 1416 - Anschutz 1761 - Beretta Silver Pidgeon III - FWB800 - FX DRS - HW110K - HW100 - Steyr Pro-X - Steyr LG1 - Walther LGM-2

My own view is that if your springer is to be used for hunting then a break barrel is a better bet than an underlever. For fixed position target shooting then it doesn't matter. My preference would be for a HW95 with a decent muzzle weight to give the best combination of quality and 'pointability'. The calibre? I have a liking for .20 but it doesn't really matter what you pick. For your budget you should get a decent one. As has been said already 'try before you buy' and good luck.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Bongo View Post
    I'll be sat on my own at the end of the bench with my Turkish Webley Xocet.....
    .... that doesn't work!
    God rest ye jelly mental men

forget all that and buy a fenman in .20

i wish i had one
    Donald

Captain Bongo is offline I'm not falling for this again........
    Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    .... that doesn't work!
    My Xocet is a fantastic gun. Far more accurate than your AK47 anyway..

if you are stinking rich... a venom 77
    if you love to tinker/fettle/tune..a tx200 full length
    if you want something that shoots stunningly from the moment you get your hands on it...... wont break the bank...and is every bit as accurate as many tuned rifles........ an lgv comp ultra
    full stop.
    end of questions!
    and of course it needs to be 177 !!!!!!!
    .22 is for the rock-lobbers with limp wrists , who like to hit their target bang on the bullseye at maximum range [about 4 metres on a good day] but even that will use up all the elevation clicks ! hence their usual choice of scopes being low-mag....... ya know like 1x magnification, or for the lads who like a challenge , 0.5 mag
    TINKERING WITH PASTY POWER

HW80k.... No other choice Ben

How are you btw?