Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What springer should I be looking at?

NewPaul is online now Jack Hargreaves lookalike --- How
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Bongo View Post
    Get to Micks place next weekend. There will be bog standard out of the box guns along with very highly tuned examples of just about every spring gun available and every single one will be available for testing by an enthusiastic owner.

I'll be sat on my own at the end of the bench with my Turkish Webley Xocet.....
    Above advice! Get down to Quigley's Hollow Boinger Bash next weekend and I reckon you'll be able o try out loads of samples. And By the way - Captain Bongo will not be own his own at the end of a bench as he will be teaching me how to shoot straight(Ish) as he has agreed (slight lie) to be my Mentor
    HW77K .22, HW100KT .22, HW95K .22. AA TX200 MK3 .22. AA S410 MK3 .177. HW80 .25 HW30S .22. Pistols: Walther CP88 .177, Hatsan Mod25 Supercharger .22, HW45 Silver Star .177, Webley Alecto .177, SMK Victory CP2 .22

try a hw99s much underrated

Tx200sr
    Keen but clueless..

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Well Ben

If you really want to try a few rifles come to my place next weekend, you're only just up the road. :-

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....ayment-Details

All the best Mick

Cheers Mick,

You have PM!

Ben
    >Weihrauch HW100TK .177 c/w Hawke SF Varmint 3-12x44 Scope
    >Weihrauch HW97k .177 c/w Hawke Vantage 3-9x50 IR Scope

Cheers fellas!

I mentioned that I wanted a fixed barrel as I was under the impression that they were far more accurate? I'd be very keen on a HW99 or 80.

I'm hoping to get over to Micks next weekend so I'll get a chance to try a few!

Great replies!

Ben
    >Weihrauch HW100TK .177 c/w Hawke SF Varmint 3-12x44 Scope
    >Weihrauch HW97k .177 c/w Hawke Vantage 3-9x50 IR Scope

Quote Originally Posted by Hinksy View Post
    I mentioned that I wanted a fixed barrel as I was under the impression that they were far more accurate?
    Urban myth - might have been the case 50 or 60 years ago, but not any more. Of all the springers and rammers that I've shot, the most accurate have all been break-barrel.

The HW80 and HW90 are both excellent rifles, but - in my opinion - far too big and heavy to carry around in the field all day. At least the 90 has the saving grace of possessing a pukka Theoben ram system, rather than a basic gas-strut. If you want spring, the HW99s is well worth your attention. (I've owned/own all three and the 99s would be my first choice without hesitation)...

Cheers fellas.

Great replies!

Ben
    .Is the way forward.

There will be lots of both break and fixed barrel rifles for you to see / handle / have a go with so that you can really see which one will suit you the best.

See you there.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitwrecker View Post
    Urban myth - might have been the case 50 or 60 years ago, but not any more. Of all the springers and rammers that I've shot, the most accurate have all been break-barrel.

The HW80 and HW90 are both excellent rifles, but - in my opinion - far too big and heavy to carry around in the field all day. At least the 90 has the saving grace of possessing a pukka Theoben ram system, rather than a basic gas-strut. If you want spring, the HW99s is well worth your attention. (I've owned/own all three and the 99s would be my first choice without hesitation)...
    Totally agree - you don't need to have a fixed barrel to get excellent accuracy. My HW95 break barrel is just as accurate as my HW 97 and is the go for gun for field use.

If however I'm target shooting and weight or 'slightly less convenient' under lever design isn't an issue - then I use either my V-Glide'd 97 or Bog Standard ProSport - both excellent guns.

Cheers

Steve

Personally, I'd buy a hand pump as back up

All of the above.

shauny is offline Has a taste for the French fancys
    ignore that lot, the best one to go for is the 99.

Quote Originally Posted by shauny View Post
    ignore that lot, the best one to go for is the 99.
    I love mine thumbnail size groups at35 yd not tuned 220 brand new

Walther Terrus .177 synth.

For many years I have been slagging off springers, my argument being why would you want to buy such an inferior tool when there is an abundance of PCP's available which are vastly superior for hunting and target shooting? However, after doing reasonable well in my local club's springer comp with a borrowed heavyweight German beasty I started to have second thoughts.

I consulted other club members on which one to buy and was pointed in the direction of the Terrus. Being retired I have time to take on new projects and I enjoy fettling and tuning in a rather amateurish way. I visited an excellent gun shop in Derby and bought a Terrus for £199. I wanted a lightweight springer because my knackered hands, arms, shoulders, neck etc etc don't like heavy guns any more.

I stripped it down (very simple) and de-burred the bits that needed it and polished the trigger contact points plus shortening the trigger springs to make it lighter. Removing the butt pad revealed a cavity which I have filled with polystyrene packing chips held in by spray adhesive, this was to minimise twang and boing etc ( one of my pet hates re springers). The rather naff looking open sights have been discarded.

Tried several pellets and settled on Crosman Premier 7.9. Fitted with a Burris 2-7x35 Fullfield ll on low mounts I now have a springer which is not only consistently accurate but a real pleasure to shoot.

I have also discovered what many springer shooters have being saying for years in that PCP's can make people lazy and slapdash regarding their shooting technique and this wonderful Terrus has made me re-evaluate my opinion regarding my shooting abilities.

To answer your question I suggest you consider the following:-

Terrus .177 synth.........£199
    Tune.....£50 (or diy £0)
    Scope of your choice.....£150 - 200
    Mounts..£40

£439-489

Hope my findings have been helpful,

Nev.

shauny is offline Has a taste for the French fancys
    Quote Originally Posted by boko View Post
    I love mine thumbnail size groups at35 yd not tuned 220 brand new
    yep ,cracking little gun.my v.glided 97 shot no more accurately than my 99.

Cheers fellas!

I mentioned that I wanted a fixed barrel as I was under the impression that they were far more accurate? I'd be very keen on a HW99 or 80.

Great replies!

Ben
    Ben, your more than welcome to have a try of my 99 next week at the bash

Quote Originally Posted by boko View Post
    try a hw99s much underrated
    You pressed the wrong key's Boko your under should read over
    A few nice rifles