Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What springer should I be looking at?

Opposite the cow-field, just outside Dover, Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by boko View Post
    try a hw99s much underrated
    That is funny!

Can't think of any gun more highly rated by members of this board... at least the ones who post their opinions anyway
    Good deals with Mark3HuntsmanSam, Cannon Fodder, Guy, Jon, Peddy, Negotiator, Devon Shooter, Ninapuppy, Custard 1, Bob Brown, TopDog, Dave The Frame, / Sam99, Ballie, Nautilus21, edbear2, eredel, among others

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by boko View Post
    try a hw99s much underrated

LOL not on this fourm, when one member said that they would fit a £2800 scope on a 99

the hw99 is one of those marmite guns. in truth the low-swept volume [small chamber] gives for an amazingly fast shot cycle ! its one of the least hold-sensitive rifles ive ever had/shot [and im a slut, ive had em all]
    to be brutally honest its all the airgun anyone would ever need ! its easy to shoot accurately. it does impressivly small groups way out to 70+ yards [up there with the very best in sub 12 air rifles] its lightweight so is easy to lug around for hours, and given its svelt lines impresses by showing no notable muzzle-flip..
    once bedded in they are super consistent [in all temps]........and they dont break the bank !
    but........
    they are dull as dishwater to look at....... now i know that shouldnt feature highly on our priority-list, but it does, if you say otherwise you are either a full time proffesional pest controller, or you are lying
    now imagine this if you will........ an hw99 action, sat in an mpr style stock [with r10 curvy butt]....... a lighweight sileneced barrel-shroud and a pricetag around 500-600 quid......
    think about it.......
    i'll wager it would suddenly become much more desireable
    of course everyone would moan its over priced, but you'de all still secretly want one
    TINKERING WITH PASTY POWER

Quote Originally Posted by slugger View Post
    but........
    they are dull as dishwater to look at.......
    Horsefeathers - the 99s has the beautiful uncluttered lines of a classic sporter. The only thing that spoils it is that nasty chequering with 'Weihrauch' written across it.....

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitwrecker View Post
    Horsefeathers - the 99s has the beautiful uncluttered lines of a classic sporter. The only thing that spoils it is that nasty chequering with 'Weihrauch' written across it.....
    agreed love the style great looking rifle

shauny is offline Has a taste for the French fancys
    Quote Originally Posted by magnummike View Post
    you pressed the wrong key's boko your under should read over :d
    he he !

Hi Ben,

If you are at the bash next weekend I am bringing my tuned custom stocked hw80 and my bog standard tx200 hc both in .177 amongst other toys and you are entirely welcome to have a play with both. The 99 is a lovely gun for the money too, had a play with one recently and its likely to be my next purchase. Get yourself to the bash mate its excellent fun.

All the very best

Baldinio

Quote Originally Posted by shauny View Post
    he he !
    is it ave a pop at boko week

Agreed. Saw some of those in a shop a while ago and could not believe what they had done, carving their name into the wood like that - especially as so many older HWs have simple high-quality wood with lovely grain.

There ought to be an HW99s Luxus with a classic stock of well-figured Turkish walnut...

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    I agree, but I'd say the whole stock lets it down slightly... comb too low, forend could be a little longer, and that dodgy writing. However the gun itself is great as a sub 12 FP hunter, and mine's going nowhere
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Personally it would be a lgv for me. Brilliant gun👍

For me its my HW95 or one of my HW97`s ,had a tuned HW80.22 just could not get on with it so sold it
    This is my 95 bog standared shooting of the knee at 40 yards witha 5p coin and one flyer

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...psrbmu2zxj.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Agreed. Saw some of those in a shop a while ago and could not believe what they had done, carving their name into the wood like that - especially as so many older HWs have simple high-quality wood with lovely grain.

There ought to be an HW99s Luxus with a classic stock of well-figured Turkish walnut...
    You could always get a walnut stock from Custom Stocks of Sheffield. They look very nice but I'm guessing they cost more than the price of the gun.

I don't think the Weihrauch factory stock is too bad. The gun is let down a little by the skinny 15mm diameter barrel though. Looks better shrouded.

Given the 99s growing popularity in the UK, I'm surprised Hull Cartridge hasn't imported any of the guns with no iron sights and short screw cut barrels that are available in Germany.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

As you will have seen by now, there are many choices and just about as many people singing their praises. As a generality, a HW77/ HW77k / HW97 is often regarded as being a little harsh straight from the box compared with a TX200 or the LGV / LGU rifles. But a little home applied love and attention can often smooth out the 77/97 with minimal outlay ... you do not have to spend a lot on a person to tune it for you to get good results. The 97 comes with a built in silencer, the 77 with open sights. The 97 stock is better suited to a scope, the 77 not so ... I do not think the 77 stock has been changed; I stand correction if it has.The Prosport has a good following but, again as a generality, the TX seems more popular.
    HW break barrels have their own following, especially for hunting ... on the HFT circuit they are not so common as the underlevers. In terms of inherent accuracy I do not think there is anything in it ...you will be the weakest link.

So really, it is up to you to try each one and see which suits you best. There are good rifles to be had on here ... most likely far more than you will see at The Midland where, in my humble opinion, most s/h sales are at somewhat higher prices from stalls more interested in shotguns.
    Cheers, Phil

177 -HW80 OR HW 77/97 heavyweights

Diana 31/34 or HW95 for medium weight in 177

For your 500 budget I'd buy an hw80k with open sights, a v mach kit and a slip on mod & scope ....
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34