Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What springer should I be looking at?

Quote Originally Posted by Hinksy View Post
    Hi guys,

So, with my price bracket in mind, what else should I be considering? What's good? If I were to buy a new 97K will the recoil soften up as the rifle is run-in and what options are open to me when it comes to getting the rifle tuned up and what do they cost (approx.).

Thanks folks - thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Ben
    Hi Ben,
    I used to hunt many years ago (25 to be precise) and always used .22 for all the usual arguements.
    Working on the improvements since then I bought an HW97K in .177 for the flatter trajectory, as I always suffered missing some shots while guessing my range, and also after a delusional foray with a BSA Lighting XL against better advice on here!
    I recently got a permission and, whilst the gun was really impressive setting up on the range with my daughter, I had 28 rabbits in 4 sessions of around and hour or so morning and evening. It is deadly accurate and has bedded in beautifully, not that it needed much.
    I really surprised myself in how clean virtually every shot was, to the point I returned to camp with eight and, on inspection by my cousin who is a chap in his late fifties and questioned the use of 177, we saw all eight with clean head shots a 32-40 yards.
    Always wanted a good spring gun as I am devoutly avoiding the tie to gas power for the very reason you quote and I'm not disappointed.
    Got a Welsh Willy kit coming soon for it over the winter because I just want to see what difference it makes.
    20p at 40 yards is more than I need though at the moment.
    Good luck and all the best.
    Mark

Oh, and my daughter has an HW99S which worked to great effect as well if you want to lower the budget.
    I'm just about to modify her stock with an adjustable comb as the 50mm scope is a little high for her but she still holds 10mm at 25 meters!
    Cheers
    Mark

Hellequin is offline I used to be indecisive.....
    Ayup Ben!

Of the info given I would steer clear of a HW80 unless you're willing to spend money getting it tuned or, preferably, tuned to FAC properly. I should know, I've had both! I loved them but they do need 'work'...

The little 99 seems to get great reviews, even more so once tuned and I know from experience that the 95k can also be worked on to shoot very smoothly indeed. Either of those would be my choice if used mainly for hunting. That said, you may find your original choice of 97k more comfortable to shoot as it has a bit more heft to it. It certainly won't let you down and it's another HW that responds well to a good fettle, albeit I agree with (Rapid) Nick in preferring break barrel springers for hunting.

My personal choice for an underlever at the minute would be a TXHC or Pro Sport with a nice walnut stock; both around your budget and you shouldn't need to do an awful lot to them except go shoot. If you can find an immaculate Mk2 TXHC that'd be even more attractive....

To be honest though you won't go far wrong with any of the HW / AA rifles, just find the one that feels best in your hands.

Hope you're keeping well mate

Paul
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

Just thought I better let you know that Ben, the OP has bought a HW97.

All the best Mick

Hellequin is offline I used to be indecisive.....
    Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Just thought I better let you know that Ben, the OP has bought a HW97.

All the best Mick
    Good choice!
    Wyrd bið ful aræd